people who lost a lot of weight using diet pills

Options
It appears that this is a touchy subject on mfp. I personally don't use diet pills and I am neutral to the idea.
I was wondering why people on mfp don't like the idea. I say this because from the treads that I have read where a person lost weight from using diet pills, I see that a lot of ppl are opposed to the idea or they don't really congratulate the person but instead they tell them that they should have lost weight without the pills for whatever reasons.
So what do you think? Or why does it really matter?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Can you link a thread in which the successful OP used diet pills? I have yet to see one.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally met anyone that has lost weight on diet pills. But my take would be if you're using a crutch to lose the weight when you stop taking them you'll gain the weight back.
  • margarethumphreys58
    Options
    I think they're iffy about it is because the whole purpose of mfp is to help you track what you eat and to make better choices that will stick with you through your life. Weightloss & overall health is a "marathon not a sprint", taking diet pills is kind of a slap in the face to that, because most of them curb your appetite or add ingredients that force your body to burn fat. There is nothing natural about it. Personally I don't care what someone else wants to do, but I wouldn't take them.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh.

I hope no one bashes you for this thread. Instead I just hope they answer you and not be judgemental.

Personally, I have used diet pills in the past, to get my weight loss started (by a physician mind you, not myself) and the one I was on was Meridia. It did help me with my appetite, and it did help me lose weight. I was only on it for 2 months... just long enough to get my weight loss started and my appetite under control. I lost 24 lbs in 2 months on it, and then after I went off, I didn't change anything, (because my stomach shrank) and I lost another 60 lbs in 7 months.

I don't down anyone that is using diet pills. Just like I don't down anyone who is only eating 1,200 calories. I've learned... judge not, because it is THEIR business, and THEIR bodies. Do they work? Well.... that was prescription, and it worked for me, and it got me started and that is what I wanted/needed at the time. The other diet pills... I haven't used.

Hope this helps? What diet pills are you referring to exactly?
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well I don't knock anyone and their efforts...even surgeries (because I toyed with the idea for nearly 5 yrs) but I am so afraid of the side effects of the pills ... Most speed up your heart (which if you get off your tosh, you can do naturally) and many of them put a strain on most of your other organs as well (such as a your liver and kidneys) ! I simply suggest that those interested in lb lost pills should do their research and MOST IMPORTANTLY, use them only as a boost! ... these shouldn't be a considered a "LONG TERM SOLUTION" and after all .. .IF YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR HABITS like choice of foods or lack of a exercise regimen ... AS SOON AS YOU STOP THE PILLS YOU ARE MORE THAN LIKELY GOING TO GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK! So just to think...all that stress on your organs, just to put the weight back on ....
    I say this all because I have a close friend that takes 2 Rx weight loss pills and still eats fried fattening foods (whenever her appetite allows and does absolutely no exercise ...
    Yes, she lost 80 lbs in about a year ... but when she stopped taking the pills, she gained 20 lbs in a couple of months ... No now the QUACK that she receives these pills from has put her on 3 Rx weight loss pills .. .( I KNOW, unbelievable , RIGHT ) ... well , im so afraid that her ignorance (not knowing about the dangers of these pills ) is going to cause her some serious health issues.

W T H ???
    I don't preach to her but I occasionally try to warn her of what her QUACK aka doctor is doing to her!
    I invite her to eat dinner at my house (tell her we are having stuffed chicken breast or grilled chicken breast with Asian stir-fry styled vegetables ) and she says NO THANK YOU ... I invite her to the gym and I get the same response ... NO THANK YOU!!!
    pray for her please!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Is this an advertisement?
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...I wish I did have the link to the threads. I usually read the success stories late at night while I'm at work to keep me awake. I don't really comment too much on them so unfortunately I have no idea how to find them. I saw dif threads where there were before and after pics or stories of ppl losing weight but most of the comments they received were ppl bashing them. I was like oh wow. To me, as long as a person isn't trying to make it like they did it on their own and they give the proper credit then it doesn't matter. I just hate it when I work hard and the next person just took pills and lost weight. I don't care that they did it, I'm just jealous that I had to work so hard. I do agree about you gaining the weight back. Personally I have gained bk from doing diets and stopping them, so I assume it's the same for diet pills.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    Is this an advertisement?
    i don't think it is. but i do think it is just a question because a lot of the ppl on here are pretty judgmental. Mfp participants don't play about weight loss. i guess that's why i find this site so helpful.:smile:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    i don't think it is. but i do think it is just a question because a lot of the ppl on here are pretty judgmental. Mfp participants don't play about weight loss. i guess that's why i find this site so helpful.:smile:

You are so right! Ppl don't play, cuz it is NOT easy
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    unless they are rolling a $20 bill and snorting meth, i have yet to know of anyone losing purely on "diet pills"...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I think taking pills to lose weight is cheating yourself of learning to eat healthier. It's a quick fix for people who are not willing to work for it. I count calories, I measure food, prepackage and annoy my coworkers because I do not "cave" into fast food. Personally, I choose not to "congratulate" someone for cheating themselves out of a healthier lifestyle. However I also do not knock them for their choice.

My two cents for what its worth!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons why a person might be told that diet pills aren't the way to go. Remember this isn't just a weight loss forum, we pride ourselves on making long term health changes. Diet pills are not that. There are also a lot of negative side effects...especially revolving around your heart. I don't think that's really worth it. Then if you don't experience the jitters from hell, when the pills stop so does the weight loss, which can be disheartening for people and cause them to quit.

Besides...NO ONE NEEDS diet pills. This coming from a girl that had PCOS and diabetes and a bum pancreas. If I can do it with all my organ failures anyone can. And doing it on your own is so much more fulfilling if you're able.

Just my humble opinion I don't take it as solid truth from everyone.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    unless they are rolling a $20 bill and snorting meth, i have yet to know of anyone losing purely on "diet pills"...

That's true because from the stories I saw, they also exercised and ate less cals. So how would you actually know if it was diet pills that helped you or not...
    Maybe thats why ppl say that they didn't need them, thanks
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just find it funny how most shortcuts (shakes, pills, etc.) have a fine print that reads something like 'must be taken in conjunction with daily exercise and healthy eating,' so really, they do nothing lol.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I just find it funny how most shortcuts (shakes, pills, etc.) have a fine print that reads something like 'must be taken in conjunction with daily exercise and healthy eating,' so really, they do nothing lol.

lol, I said the same thing! When the ad 1st came out for lipozene I thought hmm, maybe I will try that for my stomach, lol until I read the fine print I was like really??? I may as well continue to do what I'm doing because it's the same thing. GOOD POINT!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

That's true because from the stories I saw, they also exercised and ate less cals. So how would you actually know if it was diet pills that helped you or not...

yeah, before i decided to just lose the weight on my own, i actually ordered sensa... lmao, i thought it would magically shrink me... i got the box, read it, and never even opened it... said must be used in conjunction with iet and exercise. i thought... wth am i wasting money on this crap for then??? hehehe sent it right back to the company!
  • TemikaThompson
    Options

yeah, before i decided to just lose the weight on my own, i actually ordered sensa... lmao, i thought it would magically shrink me... i got the box, read it, and never even opened it... said must be used in conjunction with iet and exercise. i thought... wth am i wasting money on this crap for then??? hehehe sent it right back to the company!

OMG!!! You have me over here literally LOL!!! That is sooooooooo true! If you have to do it right anyway, why waste money on the other stuff lol. I like you and your honesty lol
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was thinking about taking Alli (weight loss pill sold at wal-mart).... until I read the fine print.

"liver injury, such as itching, loss of appetite, yellow eyes or skin, light-colored stool, or brown urine." <- kind of killed it for me.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030

"Fatty/oily stool, oily spotting, intestinal gas with discharge, a feeling of needing to have a bowel movement right away, increased number of bowel movements, or poor bowel control may occur." <- this didn't make it better. Oil spots? Ew.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-148551-Alli+Oral.aspx?drugid=148551&drugname=Alli+Oral

(just thought i should let you in on the grossest side effects that i have ever seen for a diet pill LOL)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I would never bash anyone for using anything, but I would point out the fact that using a diet pill or even an appetite suppressant isn't doing you any good, it's not only bad for your heart but it's also not going to train your mind and body to do what it needs to do to keep it off. You are more than likely going to gain the weight back plus some. It's better to do it the right way the first time and have a better chance of keeping it off then come back later with even more weight to lose, ya know?
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I would never bash anyone for using anything, but I would point out the fact that using a diet pill or even an appetite suppressant isn't doing you any good, it's not only bad for your heart but it's also not going to train your mind and body to do what it needs to do to keep it off. You are more than likely going to gain the weight back plus some. It's better to do it the right way the first time and have a better chance of keeping it off then come back later with even more weight to lose, ya know?

That's a good way to look at it as far as training yourself to do it right. I never thought of that. I'm in that process right now. I guess that's why ppl that give their credit to weight loss to pills is why they tend to go back to the pills when they need to lose again because they really haven't learned the proper way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!