people who lost a lot of weight using diet pills

Options

Replies

• naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was thinking about taking Alli (weight loss pill sold at wal-mart).... until I read the fine print.

"liver injury, such as itching, loss of appetite, yellow eyes or skin, light-colored stool, or brown urine." <- kind of killed it for me.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030

"Fatty/oily stool, oily spotting, intestinal gas with discharge, a feeling of needing to have a bowel movement right away, increased number of bowel movements, or poor bowel control may occur." <- this didn't make it better. Oil spots? Ew.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-148551-Alli+Oral.aspx?drugid=148551&drugname=Alli+Oral

(just thought i should let you in on the grossest side effects that i have ever seen for a diet pill LOL)

OMG!!! I am floored!!! This is tooooooo funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I too have tried weight loss pills (Different ones) and I will tell you from my experience it is all a joke. They play with your mind, body, soul and sex life. They gave me a major rush and I was always either too happy or too moody , but I was never balanced. As soon as I stopped taking the RX pills I went into a depression. it was just not a good thing. Mfp helps you to learn your body and the feeling that you get from "doing it right" is soooooooo amazing !!! To all that are pill free....KEEP ON ROCKIN !!!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I once took Meizetang. You can read up on all the horrible things it does to you. I was an idiot for trying to take a short cut, I was lucky I didn't hurt myslef or experience very bad symptoms, I did lose weight and I didn't keep it off.

I will never venture that way again. I have learnt my lesson and I encourage everyone to steer clear. I know there are much larger people who have been prescribed diet pills by physicians to aid/start weight loss, but if you can I would say eat properly, exercise and the weight will come off.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There are two commonly prescribed medications which, "off-label", can assist with weight loss:
    Metformin, which is prescribed to diabetics to overcome insulin resistance, and
    Bupropion, or Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No now the QUACK that she receives these pills from has put her on 3 Rx weight loss pills .. .( I KNOW, unbelievable , RIGHT ) ... well , im so afraid that her ignorance (not knowing about the dangers of these pills ) is going to cause her some serious health issues.

W T H ???

Sounds like 'Valley of the Dolls' ... LoL ... Sad though ...
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Is this an advertisement?
    i don't think it is. but i do think it is just a question because a lot of the ppl on here are pretty judgmental. Mfp participants don't play about weight loss. i guess that's why i find this site so helpful.:smile:

I am taking diet pills to help curb my appetite, and there are several people on here who criticized me for it. But, if they have a problem with my decisions, that's their issue.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Can you link a thread in which the successful OP used diet pills? I have yet to see one.

How you define successful and how others may define it could be two different things. I have been losing weight on diet pills.
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    A few years ago I was thinking about taking Alli (weight loss pill sold at wal-mart).... until I read the fine print.

"liver injury, such as itching, loss of appetite, yellow eyes or skin, light-colored stool, or brown urine." <- kind of killed it for me.

"Fatty/oily stool, oily spotting, intestinal gas with discharge, a feeling of needing to have a bowel movement right away, increased number of bowel movements, or poor bowel control may occur." <- this didn't make it better. Oil spots? Ew.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-148551-Alli+Oral.aspx?drugid=148551&drugname=Alli+Oral

(just thought i should let you in on the grossest side effects that i have ever seen for a diet pill LOL)

I too have tried weight loss pills (Different ones) and I will tell you from my experience it is all a joke. They play with your mind, body, soul and sex life. They gave me a major rush and I was always either too happy or too moody , but I was never balanced. As soon as I stopped taking the RX pills I went into a depression. it was just not a good thing. Mfp helps you to learn your body and the feeling that you get from "doing it right" is soooooooo amazing !!! To all that are pill free....KEEP ON ROCKIN !!!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:

FYI....interesting fact - Alli (generic name orlistat) has been around since the late 90's. It's brand name was Xenical 120mg. It went over-the-counter at half the dose many years later. And yes, many people did not use it for long due to the oily seepage side effect. Gross!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

FYI....interesting fact - Alli (generic name orlistat) has been around since the late 90's. It's brand name was Xenical 120mg. It went over-the-counter at half the dose many years later. And yes, many people did not use it for long due to the oily seepage side effect. Gross!

^ good to know that it isn't a new thing. If it doesn't sell the way it is let's just repackage it. I just couldn't imagine about to get "personal" with the bf and there's a sexy oil stain. LMAO I would probably die. :laugh:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There are two commonly prescribed medications which, "off-label", can assist with weight loss:
    Metformin, which is prescribed to diabetics to overcome insulin resistance, and
    Bupropion, or Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant.

I take Wellbutrin (I've also struggled with depression my whole life) and it does help me in several ways but...it doesn't count calories for me, it doesn't pick the healthy foods when I shop, it doesn't spend an hour making nutritious meals each day, and it doesn't place one foot in front of the other when I go running...I have to do all that myself. It doesnt speed up my metabolism or burn fat faster or flush toxins either, lol.

But, it does help me stick to making better choices. It doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to target and quiet the part of my mind that spends all day screaming "FEED ME!!" and it seems to help me make better decisions when it comes to diet and fitness. I HATE the idea of promoting a pill, because I am doing the work, but Wellbutrin helps me get my head together in a way that allows me to do what I have to do to get healthy.
  • Rezelby
    Options
    I have used 'green coffee extract' which is technially a 'diet pill'. As you can see, I have lost around 80 pounds (and counting). But it's not because of the diet pill. It's in CONJUNCTION with a ton of exercise and eating much much better. I do believe the diet pills have HELPED me. The green coffee extract supresses my appetite so I eat just enough and don't overdo it. Hope that helps.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Can you link a thread in which the successful OP used diet pills? I have yet to see one.

How you define successful and how others may define it could be two different things. I have been losing weight on diet pills.

By successful I mean I have yet to see a thread in the Success Stories in which the OP said all he/she did was take diet pills without watching his/her diet and lost a ton of weight.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I imagine the main reason why people slate diet pills is more that its very much an easy way out and that many others are working hard to make changes. Changes that require effort. Taking a pill requires no effort and teaches nothing about food and healthy eating.
  • lorabledsoe
    lorabledsoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's not for me, but to each their own.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't and won't use them, I didn't take a fat pill to get fat. Nor, would I judge people who do. But, I wonder what the success rate is for people that do take them? What happens when you reach your desired weight and stop taking them, and have not learned good eating habits because the diet pills have been a crutch? I'm going to continue to take it one day at a time, learn how to eat healthy. If it takes me a couple of years, oh well!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think there are several reasons.

1. They are a waste of money, mostly because the ingredients they contain are predominantly caffeine and fibre - so you can get the same effect from drinking a cup of coffee with a bowl of all-bran, for a fraction of the price.

2. Some can have dangerous side-effects. I've heard of people feeling dizzy, racing heartrates, nausea, even passing out. These kinds of side-effects are generally found in the ones you cannot buy in shops, but still, they are not difficult to get hold of.

3. Lastly and probably most importantly, they teach you nothing about where you are going wrong and how to live a healthy lifestyle. Too many people see them as an easy way out and then don't bother to change their eating habits, and wonder why they aren't losing.

At the end of the day, there's a reason why they all say 'must be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise' - because THAT is what makes you lose weight. If there really was a magical pill, there would be no obesity problems.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My experience seems to be exactly the opposite of what everyone here is claiming.

My physician has me on Phentermine for appetite suppression. I was given an EKG to be sure my heart was good, and I visit the physician's office every week to check my vital statistics.

From the first day, it succeeded, and I began losing weight. Before that, I did not exercise, I did not pay attention to what I ate, I did not know how many calories I consumed, etc. The tiniest bit of sugar in the morning would send me into an up-and-down cycle all day long.

Once I started the drug, the physician put me on 1200 calories and told me to track my calories on MFP. I started to see how my calories added up -- an extra slice of toast, a slice of cheese, a pat of butter, and my calories for the day were destroyed. To hit my goal, I needed to remove these things one at a time and work my way down. I was LEARNING about food choices. I was able to take the time to learn, and make mistakes along the way, because of the appetite suppressant. Because I was not hungry all the time, I was able to choose when to eat and what to eat. Because I was not hungry all the time, I had time to learn.

For the first month, I did not exercise. I continued everything in my life the same, except that with the drug, I was consuming around 1500 calories per day. I lost 15 pounds that month (5 fat, 5 muscle, 5 water).

At the beginning of the second month, the physician increased the dosage of the drug and told me to hit 1200 calories per day. He also reminded me to start being more physically active. I bought a Wii and started doing Wii Sports. It's not a major workout, but it was more exercise than I had been doing. MFP lists it as aerobic, but I could feel the burn in my bicpes and triceps -- because I had virtually no muscle at all. I have very low testosterone (a lifelong condition) so I have very little muscle mass. I lost another 15 pounds that month (10 fat, 5 muscle).

At the beginning of the third month, the physician and I reviewed the food changes I was making. First, I was eating more vegetables, in particular, a combination of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and celery. Second, I was eating more salmon for Omega 3 and 6 -- having grown up in Iowa, seafood had never been in my regular diet. Third, I barely ate fast food at all, and when I did, it was as a social event rather than a food choice (everyone in the office went out for lunch together). Fourth, I limited my fruit to 1 piece per day, which I split up over 3 meals to reduce sugar spikes.

The physician was pleased, and suggested again that I exercise more. So I started walking. At first, it was a struggle to go a half mile. Then a mile. Then 2. I have kept at it, and now I am walking 5k at 3.5mph. As I lose weight, I can walk farther and faster. The weight loss came first -- the exercise came second. I lost 11 pounds that month (10 fat, 1 muscle).

I am in my fourth month now, and I have continued to learn about food choices. I have added avocado to my diet, and this week I am adding nuts. I grew up in a meat-and-potatoes family that had pancakes and syrup for breakfast, so salmon, avocado, and nuts were foreign foods to me.

This morning, I was down 50 pounds from where I started.

Without the drug, I would not have started learning about food.
    Without the drug, I would not have started working on the Wii.
    Without the drug, I would not have started walking.

I am still learning about food choices. I am about to start my last month of the drug, and I am reducing my dosage. The drug helped me learn how to eat 1200 calories, but now I am going to learn about how to eat 1600 calories. Then I am going to learn how to eat 2000 calories. I need to learn what I can add to my diet that gives me more of what I need without just giving me more of the same things I am already eating.

Nearly all commentators here bash diet pills because they say that using the pills means the user does not learn about food choices and exercise. My experience is exactly the opposite. By suppressing my appetite, the pills gave me the room to learn about food choices. The pills gave me the room to learn about exercise. The pills gave me the jumpstart that I needed.

Will everyone be able to use the pills as a way to start learning? Surely not. But some of us DO learn from using them.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs using phentermine and kept it off for over 2 years. I gained it back only after being laid off from my job and going through a terrible divorce and going through nursing school and it took me a full 2 years to put it all back on. So There are success stories to using phentermine... also I had absolutely no serious side effects with phentermine. The only side effect I had other that appetite control and massive weight loss was a dry mouth which in turn helped me with my water intake so it was a welcome side effect. :wink:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I just hate it when I work hard and the next person just took pills and lost weight. I don't care that they did it, I'm just jealous that I had to work so hard.

it doesnt matter to me that I have to work hard to lose weight.

I'm going to be better - faster- stronger. thats what im trying to do in conjunction with eating well and losing bodyfat.
    some one who takes diet pills and doesnt work their *kitten* off like I do- am I jealous of them? No way. Maybe I feel like I'm better off doing things the old fashioned way. It has no effect on me what other people do.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think that the only reason no one likes them here for is because they're tricky. I've used them when my state of mind was altered and they didn't work (if you're lucky they've got the same substances you can find in herbal teas and work less). So many people actually rely on them too much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!