Today Show Club! (Everyone Always Welcome)

Options

Replies

• jnjenkins
    Options
    Hi, I am Nikki and I too was inspired by the Today Show. I had been trying to come up with a plan of attack on my fat for the last month and this sounded perfect. I need all the support I can get to get to where I want and NEED to be to be healthy....
  • GLW1969
    GLW1969 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, I am Gail and even I was inspired by the Today Show. I have been looking for a support system to help me with my plan of dropping my weight and this looked like a great place to find a few like minded people . i have been looking for a support system for a while. i want to get to a healthy weight and was inspired by a woman i had seen on the today show and thought that i would look into the program. so here i am . good luck to us all in our goals.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    Welcome Nikki! Just jump right in and start posting and figuring out all the site has to offer. Be sure to "friend" us all!

Carleen, I'm sure you can do the C25K. Many people repeat the various weeks as needed before moving on. There is an active thread for people pursuing the C25K. Here is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/98489-couch-to-5k-anyone

Also, if you google C25K you will get the main website which has lots of tools, support, etc. There are even podcasts you can download to your ipod for each workout that have music and cues indicating when to walk and when to jog. I'm working on that right now. I just started C25K yesterday, so we can be buddies if you want.

Shari.
  • shari253
    Options
    Welcome Gail! This is a great group and we are very happy to have you! The woman you saw on the Today Show is Tamara, and she is part of our group!! She posts daily and encourages us. (Look back a few posts, she has already posted today.)
  • brashear_2420
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I got all my water in yesterday and did a 5.73 mile walk/run with Tamara and our walking group. It was so hot, but worth all the sweat!

I am off to a great start today. I did 3.2 miles in 39 minutes this morning. It was so peaceful and beautiful out at 4:45 AM while the stars were still shining. My husband is in boot camp right now and I pick the brightest star in the sky so I feel like he is running with me. It was the perfect way to start the day!

Carleen - You should also look into the Walk at Home Videos by Leslie Samsons (I think that is her last name). They are fantastic. She talks you through the whole walk and she keeps you moving. You don't have to learn steps. The point is to keep moving the whole time. She has different levels too. She has a 5 mile walk and you can pick how many miles you want to do between 1 and 5 miles. I really suggest trying this. It can let you start out slow and build up to what you are comfortable with. Plus you can do it in your living room with ease.

Robin - I am sorry that you had the same kind of experience as I did before. I am hoping that won't happen again. You will need to stay focused and be completely comitted to your goal. Hold yourself accountable for everything you are eating because if you don't you will only cheat yourself. Exercise as much as possible. You can do this! Good luck! Oh and I am so jealous you are going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I might be 28, but I am a super fan. I have read the books so many times that I have lost count! Yes I know...I am a dork.

Tamara - Happy 2 year mark! I am so proud of you girlie! You said you wanted to inspire someone and this is what you have done. You said you would be happy with one person, but I think you have exceeded that goal my friend. Again, I am proud of you and congratulations on everything that you have accomplished. Thank you for all your help in my journey also. I am so glad to have you as my best friend! Have a fantastic day.

Shari - Thanks again for starting this wonderful group. It really is nice to see this community grow and all the positve feedback from everyone!

Have a fantastic day everyone! Any day can be fantastic if you make it that way! :happy:

Bobbie
  • tmej1973
    tmej1973 Posts: 14
    Options
    I too have a similar story......saw a segment the other day about great quick breakfasts and figured "I can eat that" and then today my plans got derailed and as I was eating the above breakfast I saw the Tamara segment online.......all I can say is WOW!

So far this site is by far the best and easiest I have tried. I am looking for people to share som eencouragement, and I will always do the same! :)

Tracy
  • mygame
    mygame Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello TPACRASH

I also have a lot of weight to shed. Three years ago I lost 25 lbs and have slowly gained all but 5 lbs back. Very frustrating.
    I would like to thank Shari253 for introducing me to this site. I look forward to my weight loss.

Good luck to everyone.
    Have a great day

Di
  • lindclan
    Options
    Hello!

I too saw the Today show and am starting today.

Good luck.

Kimberly/Tennessee
  • tlyoung115
    Options
    mymeow - Robin :happy:

I also wanted to thank everyone for your nice responses!! You're all very encouraging!

Bobbie, I had the same thing happen to me at an amusement park ride about 3 years ago, but I was about 50-60 lbs heavier at the time than I am now. It was one of those swing rides with the pull-over harness belt type of thing and it wouldn't go over my thighs. I immediately got off and I don't think anyone but me knew why (plus, it wasn't very busy), but nevertheless I was humiliated!! While we are in Florida in October, we are going to Universal Studios and the new Harry Potter ride from what I read isn't very "heavy person" friendly, so I'm praying that I won't have a problem with that, because I know my son will HAVE to go on it! Plus, we are going with some friends and I don't want to be embarrassed in front of everyone, so my goal is 225 lbs, and I really hope that's enough to not be an issue!!

Robyn... Just for an FYI before you even get to the Harry Potter ride. In order to fit, you have to have a 48" chest and a 48" hip/stomach measurement. Anything over that doesn't fit. It doesn't have much to do with how much you weigh, but how your body is shaped. Very skinny girls with big chests are being turned away.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard all the new comers I am so excited ya'll are here.. and I too want to thanks shari for starting this topic its a great group of people to motivate us..

I just got done lifting weights with trainer now fixin to tackle daughter bedroom she just had her borthday sat so in with the new out with the old....while she is at school none the les..

Every morning we are gonna start a new challange, this one is a little over a week long becasue its water, its one of the most essestial things in losing weight..

So Monday morning be looking for a new challange, I will post it and people can give thier thoughts on what we should do next..I am thinking the next challange will be an movement exercise to get people moving..

Ya'll have a blessed day..because why..you choose to..dont let anyone or anything derail you or change yor mood, you are worth this!!!
  • shari253
    Options
    Welcome to Kimberly, Tracy, and Di! We are glad to have you here. Be sure to add us to your friends so you can start getting/giving encouragement.
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    Sheri – thanks for the link for c25k in MFP, I couldn’t find it before but I did google it and got on the site. I started the first week today. I don’t know if going 3.5 on a treadmill is considered jogging but it was for me. At 330lbs I think that was pretty good, have to start somewhere. I’m just proud of myself that I finished the 20mins. Yes, that would be great to buddy up on it.

Bobbie – I have a walking DVD I got awhile ago, it was by Kathy Smith but I didn’t like it that much, also had another DVD of hers that I didn't like to much. Maybe I’ll check out the one by Leslie Samsons. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • familygirl37167
    Options
    Sheri – thanks for the link for c25k in MFP, I couldn’t find it before but I did google it and got on the site. I started the first week today. I don’t know if going 3.5 on a treadmill is considered jogging but it was for me. At 330lbs I think that was pretty good, have to start somewhere. I’m just proud of myself that I finished the 20mins. Yes, that would be great to buddy up on it.

Bobbie – I have a walking DVD I got awhile ago, it was by Kathy Smith but I didn’t like it that much, also had another DVD of hers that I didn't like to much. Maybe I’ll check out the one by Leslie Samsons. Thanks for the suggestion.

CarCar let me just warn you,I got leslie video to do when I do wana leave the house, and I stepped it up a notch because my heart rate is used to be up during cardio so when she was walking I was jogging and when she went to jogging I went to running, I couldnt move say morning to get out and do my 6 mile run..it is a fabulous video would recommend to anyone!!
  • GLW1969
    GLW1969 Posts: 23
    Options
    does anyone know of a semi decent beginners video set so i can start out with some stretches ?
    i am almost tempted to chat up my daughters phys. ed. coach when she starts classes on Thursday.
    i how ever might embarrass my 14 year old .. and she's never forgive me or at least till someone else decides to take over the crown of most embarrassing person . i remember a few basics from high school but lets face it i graduated in 1987 . there are a few of the "boot camps" but i don't want to be yelled what to do by some drill instructor just motivated to move my tail a bit more and i think that this will help me in the long run rather than the "boot camp" route.
    I would like to invite all of you to be my support system and hopefully friends . :smile: :smile: have a wonderful week !
  • shari253
    Options
    Hi Gail, sorry I don't know about a good DVD. I've taken a few aerobics classes so i just do the stretches from those. I bet your library would have some you could check out and try before you buy.

If you haven't already, use the "add friends" button to add us as your friends so we can all cheer each other on.

OK, I did not have the best day. I went 400 over. But I am through eating for the day, and I'm right back on track as of now. The good news is that I didn't binge on junk food or anything. I just had too hearty of a lunch and dinner. Can we say Portion Control?!

Shari.
  • familygirl37167
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning..My fine fellow friends...

I am sore from lifting weight yesterday with trainer, and we are doing it all over again today..Fun times ahead.. Half the house is clean, gotta clean the other half today, off today then work thursday and friday and then off sat

Shari- Its much nicer to be over on healthy foods then junk foods..

Gail- that walk at home video we were talking about earlier is a great video you do it at your own pace, so its prettty good 9 dollars at walmart.

Sharon- Just checking in on you how riding the horse?

Robin- Getting your water in?

Bobbie- How was work last night? Did you enjoy your pb and banana sandwich?

As for me I am wonderful, sitting here drinking my coffee fixin to finish kiddos lunches then get dressed and head on out!!

Hope ya'll have a fabulous day, and dont forget get your water in..
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    Good Morning all,
    Hope everyone has a good day today, it's a new day so anything that didn't go right yesterday is in the past and we all start anew today.
    Shari - I wouldn't worry about going over the count too much, we all do once in awhile, and like you said it was real food and not junk food.
  • mymeow
    mymeow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's a new day, so let's get moving, make good choices, and drink plenty of water!! Wednesday nights I have my water aerobics class, so I'm looking forward to that!! I'm going to be getting dinner ready soon - slow cooker meatloaf!

Thanks for the tips for the Harry Potter ride! Now I am really worried as I am a pretty "busty" lady!! I will have to bring out the measuring tape and check my measurements.

I love the Leslie Sansone workout DVDs. I have never tried the 5 mile one, but put a hold on it at the library and will try it out. If I really like it, I'll just have to buy it!!

Tamara - I have been drinking lots and lots of water!! I have my 24 oz bottle that I've been filling up about 4-5 times a day!
  • MNLopez
    MNLopez Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I haven't been actively posting on the message board. I have been doing fairly well with my calories and excercise. I see that this week's challange is water....GOOD...That is easy for me...I drink water all day long...so this one may not be such a challange for me. Can't wait to see what it is next week. :-)

You all have a good day!
  • brashear_2420
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Happy Wednesday to you!

I got up and did Leslie's 3 mile walk with 2 pound hand weights in each hand. It was a great workout! Now I am off to have a fabulous day. I would both jobs again today. Weigh in for me is in 2 days and I hope it is good!

Do any of you have ondemand on Comcast? If you do then you need to use it. Got to ondemand, then go to the sports and fitness section, from there pick exercise TV, and pick your workout from there. They offer tons of stuff on there for working out. They have it broken down in different categories. That is where I do the Leslie walking video. Plus it is all free if you have ondemand. This will give you the chance to try lots of different workouts and figure out which ones you like the most and which ones work the best. My favorites are Leslie's walking workouts and Jillian Michaels of course, but she kicks my butt every time!

Tamara - My pb & banana sandwhich was great. Today it is the ready made tuna and some 100 calorie chips for dinner. I have my day all planned out. I am good to go.

Robin - Keep up the great work and the positive attitude. It will go a long way!

Shari - Filling up on good foods is always a better option. Today is a new day and you have nothing to worry about. If you are over one day, then the next day make your goal to hit your calorie goal dead on.

MNLopez - How are you doing today? Did you take in enough calories yesterday? I am glad to hear you are doing great on your water.

I hope everyone has a great day! Make smart choices and drink your water!

Bobbie =)