Working at Jimmy John's and giving up bread. Support?

Options
13»

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I want to try and give up bread, mayonnaise, and soda for the rest of the month, but it is seriously the hardest thing I have ever attempted! I just try and fill my cravings with other things! Having an unwich and stuffing it with veggies is both filling and satisfying (for the most part) but making sandwiches for all those people.... ugh it's just really hard. I really would love some support!

You can do it! It's just willpower. Hippies on here are going to tell you that carbs are good and all that. Which i'm SURE you already know. ALREADY KNOW. The point is, this is just something that YOU want to do for yourself. So with that in mind, test yourself. See if you can manage your ability to not give in and quit. No one wants to see quitters. If you're going to eat a burger, just eat the patty. Replace soda with juice or water. Mayonnaise is tough, but maybe start with light mayo or miracle whip to ween off. Or replace mayo with mustard. These are just suggestions to help you with your intended goal. It's always good to step up to difficult challenges, which you indicated this would be. GOOD LUCK! This will make you a stronger person!

^this
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never heard of Jimmy John's because we don't have them where I live, so I'm not sure how the sandwich-building system there works. Is there any way you would be allowed to bring a bowl and use the toppings to make a salad? I work at Subway and on 6 hour+ shifts we get a footlong sub, which I'll divide into a salad and a 6 inch.

As far as mayo goes, I would be very surprised if you weren't allowed to bring a bottle of a low-cal vinaigrette to use as a dressing.
  • jen_howard
    Options
    I'm celiac, and I've been gluten free (and thus bread free) for several years now. Honestly, the hardest part is that first month. You'll find that your body will crave sugars almost immediately. Try keeping a hershey's kiss around. One little piece of chocolate a day can really help you with your cravings. Also, try eating celery. Most spreads and sandwich goodies are delicious with celery, whereas, celery on it's own is just... well... healthy tasting. Lettuce wraps tend to work well, too. Good luck!!!
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If it's really hard on you, why not just have the bread once a week? You can decide, "OK, I'm working 8 hours on Saturday and will be starving. I'll have the bread in my sandwich on that day." The other days, you either don't eat at work, or have the unwich.

I think one of the keys to success in weight loss and maintenance is that give and take. Totally cutting things out of your diet will make you crave them, and you'll be more likely to go on a binge.

Good luck!!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    At least you have the unwich! I have not cut out bread completely but mostly and was really happy that I could go to JJ's and get a turkey unwich. I usually also get a pickle since I don't fill up on bread :). I would try thinking of things that you love and are not cutting out and try to eat those more so that you don't notice (like if you love pineapple eating that a bit more often or something so you think about that and not the lack of what you are cutting out). That is what I try to do. Dang I might need an unwich for lunch now!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I refuse to assist people in torturing themselves. Sorry.

How is she torturing herself?? She dosen't want to eat bread.. you act like thats going to kill her.. shes not taking all carbs out.. I've never seen anywhere that states that you have to eat bread to be healthy...

While I wouldn't refer to it as torture myself, I think maybe they meant randomly "banning" certain foods & beverages from one's diet even though it causes a lot of cravings and self-induced "suffering"...which I guess IS sort of what the OP is doing according to the top post.

Right. Making yourself miserable on purpose, for no good reason, is just being mean to yourself. It's not as bad as "cutting," but it's pretty crazy.

You guys can calm down now. I'm not being crazy, and I'm not torturing myself. It's really not that hard, I just wanted some support. Isn't that the point of MFP? If you're only going to criticize me, then you can leave. I'm not "torturing" myself, so cool it.

If it isn't hard, why the post for support? I gave up eating more than one dessert per day. Sure, it wasn't hard and actually saved me some indigestion.

The point is, it isn't necessary to give up sandwiches to lose weight or to be healthy. There is nothing unhealthy about a sandwich. Make it fit your macros and your calorie goal. No problem. :flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    So which is it? Zomg, I am trying to give these things up and it's so-so hard and I need support please? Or it's really not a big deal and not hard at all, guys, geez chill OUT already, duh?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So which is it? Zomg, I am trying to give these things up and it's so-so hard and I need support please? Or it's really not a big deal and not hard at all, guys, geez chill OUT already, duh?

Or....It is really, really hard, but now I feel foolish for this whole thread, so I'll blame the people the commented.
  • TheGrtAlexander
    Options
    I worked at an ice cream shop a few summers ago that let me eat whatever I want. Honestly, I was so sick of even seeing ice cream (and I rarely ever ate any) that I still, a few years later, essentially refuse to eat it.

I love me some Froyo though.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the food choices available to you while at work, your best bet is to bring your own lunch/dinner/snacks.
This discussion has been closed.