Over Three Weeks & NO Progress...:(

Options
What am I doing WRONG? I work out 5-6 days a week (kids' schedules sometimes throws me off, but not a lot) including Combat, running/walking and a weight lifting class. I calculate all my food properly, I take vitamins, I drink my water, laid off the heavy snacking, I mean I'm human, but nothing outrageous to keep me from losing not one single pound in over 3 weeks Ugh! This is why people get frustrated and give up!

Replies

• raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary it would be easier to give you advice :smile:
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ^^ This and are you eating enough calories to offset your workouts? It's hard to help if your diary is closed. Make sure you eat enough calories and drink lots of water!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Because if you're working out that much, it's possible you're not eating enough. If you're doing the MFP reccomended 1200 calories, don't. Also, sometimes it takes a while for you to actually start losing weight. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I saw a loss on the scale, and ever since then I have been losing, as you can see on my ticker. But I think the problem may be you're not eating enough.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.

No.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Guess what - it's going to take at least 49 more weeks.

If you're ready to throw in the towel because you only wanted this enough to work for it for 3 weeks, then stop - gain your bearings and get back in there with the corrected mindset.

Either you want this enough to do whatever it takes to get it.

Or you only want it enough to work for it for three weeks.

Who ever told you this would be super fast and smooth sailing was LYING TO YOU.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from and the comment about muscle weight, well... it's a small part of it. When I began my journey I didn't see results on the scale (weight loss) for several months. I actually saw weight gain initially with working out! Stay the course! If you are watching and keeping proper caloric intake (a healthy deficit), proper nutritional macros, and a good exercise program consisting of resistive and cardio, you will eventually see results! Remember, this is a lifestyle change. The weight didn't go on overnight and it takes time and effort for it to come off. You also may be experiencing a period where your body is in process of "shifting gears," metabolically speaking. My metabolism was jacked up too and it took a while of being in a new healthy lifestyle before it began to come around. I started out by calling it a journey because that is what it is. It's not a "day trip." Hang in there and hang tough!!! :happy:

34277608.png
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

workaholics-no.gif

Did you just start this new workout regimen of 5-6 days per week within this 3 week period as well?

If so, you're probably looking at water retention. Your muscles retain water for repair when ever you add the stress of, or change the intensity of a workout regimen until it adapts.

What are your MFP calorie goals? Do you eat exercise calories back, if so, how do you estimate the burn?
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more that fat, a lb of fat is a lb of muscle, muscle takes up less space than fat. I would suggest making your diary public so people can help you, hard to say, when we have no idea what you are eating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more that fat, a lb of fat is a lb of muscle, muscle takes up less space than fat. I would suggest making your diary public so people can help you, hard to say, when we have no idea what you are eating.

Muscle does not take up less space than fat. A cubic inch of muscle = a cubic inch of fat.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Muscle does not take up less space than fat. A cubic inch of muscle = a cubic inch of fat.
    I'm liking where this is going...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You've just got to keep fighting the good fight and give it more time.

How are you "calculating" your food? Does that mean weighing or measuring? Do you think the calorie burns you are logging for exercise are accurate?

I would say give it a few more weeks and see if there are any changes. If not, change something up, either exercise or food intake.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I just laughed so hard. thank you.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1 lb = 1 lb. 1 in = 1 in.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat. You may even get heavier as you get smaller.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food and exercise diaries, it's virtually impossible to offer specific suggestions. We can, however, say with considerable confidence that you are not gaining muscle, as muscle is extremely difficult to add even without the complications of a caloric deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary. How much are you eating? I'd give it some time anyway, if you just started working out it's normal for muscles to retain some water. But make sure you don't overestimate your exercise calories too.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Correct... however muscle is more dense than fat so per a given unit volume it will weigh more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Correct... however muscle is more dense than fat so per a given unit volume it will weigh more.

This. It's like saying that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers - does nobody realize how crazy that sounds?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Aaanndd..... they're off!
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Stick to it. I "plateaued" for about 3 weeks as well, lost no scale weight and even gained some scale weight above my base weight at the time on and off. It was frustrating because I was weighing my food, exercising, and not seeing results. It could be many things:

-Water retention
    -Normal fluctuations
    -Monthly cycle (for women obviously lol, goes with water retention)
    -Your body just giving you the finger for reasons unknown to you. (jk! or... am I? :laugh: )
    -You're not in a deficit.

Just keep doing what you're doing, ride it out, and maybe even ignore the scale for the next week or two. It was annoying seeing my scale weight either stay the same or go up, but I knew it wasn't fat I was gaining because I obviously wasn't consuming 3500+ calories over my normal calorie intake.

Make sure you're weighing your food and are actually in a deficit. Food scales are cheap and easy to use, never use measuring cups because even if you level them off at the top many companies use approximations for volume measuring. I learned this the hard way after I tested my measuring cups vs. the food scale.

I assumed it was water retention, and after a few weeks I'm starting to lose again. Be patient.