Over Three Weeks & NO Progress...:(

Options

Replies

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    you might need to up your calories. With myself I would loose 10lbs then plateau a month and then need to up or decrease my calories as my body got use to the same old stuff and then would loose 10lbs and plateau 1 month again. This is still happening :)! But don't get discouraged, you will face a TON of issues when loosing weight. You have to get use to your body and help it through these plateaus and no weight loss weeks or days. Just try drinking more water, opening your diary up for some helpful advice and adding friends who can push you through all of this. Like someone said, don't throw in the towel because nothing is happening! I mean my own honest opinion is 5-6 days of working out is BRUTAL! I work out maybe 3 days a week or 5 as my max and give myself rest days with TONS of water. So maybe knock your working out to 5 days and 2 days off and so forth :)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.

No.

Or you could try explaining why I'm wrong instead of being hella rude. Geez.

Some people are just rude. What I think they are trying to say is 1lb of fat weighs exactly the same as 1lb of muscle, Basically a 1lb is a 1lb.

Muscle and fat take up different parts in your body.

Google is a good friend x

eta typo

No....

The OP stated they haven't lost weight in over 3 weeks. A woman pro-body builder can maybe put on 1/2 a pound of muscle on in that time......maybe. Muscle isn't packed on that easy to put a person, especially a female, into a scale halting state, especially when 90% of the exercising the OP is doing is cardio, and.....in a caloric deficit.

Did you actually read this answer to the question from this person before you posted?

It was not a reply to the OP :tongue:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting to restrict calories and haven't lost an ounce in over 3 weeks, then I can imagine that you would be frustrated. Good for you for not completely giving up. Bottom line is that you must not be creating a calorie deficit. Put simply, you are eating more than you think you are. It happens to the best of us. Try being completely anal about measuring and logging. Zero cheat meals or snacks. Measure everything and log everything you put in your mouth. You will soon see exactly how many calories you are eating, and can work from there.

Also, do not rely completely on calculators that tell you how many cals you burn thru BMR and thru exercise. They can be quite off, especially for women with a high body fat percentage.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.

No.

Some people are just rude. What I think they are trying to say is 1lb of fat weighs exactly the same as 1lb of muscle, Basically a 1lb is a 1lb.

eta typo

No....

The OP stated they haven't lost weight in over 3 weeks. A woman pro-body builder can maybe put on 1/2 a pound of muscle on in that time......maybe. Muscle isn't packed on that easy to put a person, especially a female, into a scale halting state, especially when 90% of the exercising the OP is doing is cardio, and.....in a caloric deficit.

Did you actually read this answer to the question from this person before you posted?

Yes, the person saying "No" meant that there is No Way the OP put on muscle mass to stop the scale. That is how I read it. :tongue:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    And ignore any advice to increase your calories until you know EXACTLY how many calories you are eating over a week's time.
    If you were not eating enough, you would be losing weight. You can't start a diet on a plateau.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Guess what - it's going to take at least 49 more weeks.

If you're ready to throw in the towel because you only wanted this enough to work for it for 3 weeks, then stop - gain your bearings and get back in there with the corrected mindset.

Either you want this enough to do whatever it takes to get it.

Or you only want it enough to work for it for three weeks.

Who ever told you this would be super fast and smooth sailing was LYING TO YOU.

QFT
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting to restrict calories and haven't lost an ounce in over 3 weeks, then I can imagine that you would be frustrated. Good for you for not completely giving up. Bottom line is that you must not be creating a calorie deficit. Put simply, you are eating more than you think you are. It happens to the best of us. Try being completely anal about measuring and logging. Zero cheat meals or snacks. Measure everything and log everything you put in your mouth. You will soon see exactly how many calories you are eating, and can work from there.

Also, do not rely completely on calculators that tell you how many cals you burn thru BMR and thru exercise. They can be quite off, especially for women with a high body fat percentage.

This too!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple equation, and like all equations involving variables, solving for X is the key. X is the number of calories you should be eating each day. That's really it. If you eat the appropriate amount of calories each day, you'll lose weight.

Things that WON'T make you lose weight:

• Logging your calories improperly, underestimating your totals, ignoring certain foods, beverages and condiments that are "negligible" calories, etc.

• Eating an absurdly low number of calories and an absurdly high number calories on different days. Consistently eating your goal calories each day—all of them—is they key.

• Thinking that you're "ruining your metabolism" if you're a little bit hungry each day. You're not a Swiss watch, your body won't suddenly magically make you able to gain weight from breathing. Create a calorie deficit (fewer calories ingested than expended) and you WILL lose weight.

• Assuming you need to eat MORE to lose weight or work out like a fiend. You work out for the health benefits of working out, but really, your daily calorie goal should take into account your REALISTIC energy expenditure through exercise. Padding that number, unconsciously or not, will only pad your waistline.

Basically, you've got to be tough on yourself, and not allow yourself to fall into self-deceptive patterns of thinking. So often around here, people seem to jump to the conclusion that people are eating too few calories, without even bothering to determine if the calories being ingested are being accurately logged, or that people are self-reporting their exercise accurately. This is the most important thing you can do for your weight loss—log everything you eat—EV-ER-Y-THING—accurately. No cheating, no bingeing, no days where you eat more because you were "good" the day before. That's a recipe for frustration. And don't use exercise as an excuse to "eat back" calories you already accounted for in your TDEE calculation.

I have lost ten pounds eating fast food and without exercising one bit. All I did was count everything accurately, and stay at my calorie goal each day. That's really all I did.
  • twinketta
    Options

No.

eta typo

No....

Yes, the person saying "No" meant that there is No Way the OP put on muscle mass to stop the scale. That is how I read it. :tongue:

The reply from this person was suggesting that they were confused about the muscle/fat weight. Sometimes people have preconceived ideas about it and this person was `put down` for their answer.

I do not want to start a war of words ...the post is about the OP`s struggle with her weight at the end of the day.
  • mishlll
    mishlll Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    And ignore any advice to increase your calories until you know EXACTLY how many calories you are eating over a week's time.
    If you were not eating enough, you would be losing weight. You can't start a diet on a plateau.

not necessarily I was eating 1200 calories which is less than 1555 I was suppose to be eating to. I plateaued for 1 month. I upped my intake to 1555 or close to it (1450) and I started to lose 1lb everyday. So the whole if you eat less you could lose weight still is wrong in the case of exercising and not eating enough for your body to heal to lose weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    is this a joke? It takes more than three weeks. This is a LIFE change.

If the numbers really were what they are purported to be, three weeks is more than enough to register a meaningful change. The fact that there isn't a meaningful change means something is not right - there is no reason to wait months and months to figure that out.

Mostly likely, the problem is eating more than it appears.

And there is no way - zero chance - that the OP is putting on muscle weight.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I did Zumba, Karate or other high Cardio workouts several times a week I didn't lose weight wven though I had days I couldn't come close to eating back the exercise calories.

When all I was doing was walking 30-60 minutes a day, I was losing weight.

I read somewhere that there is a target heart rate that you want to aim for when you work out. Anything above and the benefit of the workout goes down.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

You can't build muscle on a deficit!!

Op-are weighing everything you eat? You could be over eating.
  • RGv2
    Options

No.

eta typo

No....

The reply from this person was suggesting that they were confused about the muscle/fat weight.

Not exactly how I read it....... There were two statements in there, you explained one, and I explained why the other was false.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

not necessarily I was eating 1200 calories which is less than 1555 I was suppose to be eating to. I plateaued for 1 month. I upped my intake to 1555 or close to it (1450) and I started to lose 1lb everyday. So the whole if you eat less you could lose weight still is wrong in the case of exercising and not eating enough for your body to heal to lose weight.

Did this happen in your first week of calorie restriction? If nothing else, everyone loses some water weight the first week, IF they are eating below their TDEE. They will lose even more water weight if they are eating at a large deficit. After the first couple of weeks, then the weight loss may slow or even stop for a while.

But if someone is just starting a diet, they cannot plateau the first week. That is called eating at maintenance level.
  • twinketta
    Options
    [/quote]

The reply from this person was suggesting that they were confused about the muscle/fat weight.
    [/quote]

Not exactly how I read it....... There were two statements in there, you explained one, and I explained why the other was false.
    [/quote]

you missed the rest of my answer in your reply

[/quote]

The reply from this person was suggesting that they were confused about the muscle/fat weight. Sometimes people have preconceived ideas about it and this person was `put down` for their answer.

I do not want to start a war of words ...the post is about the OP`s struggle with her weight at the end of the day.
    [/quote]
  • RGv2
    Options

[/quote]
    Or you could try explaining why I'm wrong

How did you know what they were talking about "a lb of fat vs a lb of muscle" instead of how they were wrong about the OP putting on mass from that?

How is "No" a put down?
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more that fat, a lb of fat is a lb of muscle, muscle takes up less space than fat. I would suggest making your diary public so people can help you, hard to say, when we have no idea what you are eating.
    Muscle does not take up less space than fat. A cubic inch of muscle = a cubic inch of fat.
    I'm liking where this is going...
    On the muscle vs fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-much-does-a-pound-weigh-295817

To the Original Poster (OP), I agree with the person who suggested tracking fiber. Also make sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are tracking accurately. While a small inaccuracy will not make a difference, consistently mis-measuring, counting, etc., will throw you off. It's almost impossible to out-exercise a bad diet. It will take time, and it helps to learn to watch for the small changes and celebrate them along the way -- lower weight, better measurements, the ability to walk up more stairs without heavy breathing, to lift more, walk farther or fit into smaller clothing. I've collected a bunch of the advice I found most useful at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993. Best wishes!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

No.

eta typo

No....

it wasnt suggesting that they were confused about anything.

they were saying 'NO' to the part that said "working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle" because it's misleading and not the case here.

When I read 'No' - i dont interpret this to mean confusion - i interpret it to mean that something was incorrect in the previous statement and to read closer.