any success while using fitbit

2»

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I have had mine since February.

I love it, and it is the single best motivator I have to move more. I struggled to reach 5000 steps when I first got it. Now, I am getting over 12,000 steps per day and on weekends over 20,000.

Most of the weight I have lost was before I even began any kind of exercise. I am using my fitbit to motivate me to move more and it is fantastic for doing that. It is a great tool for me and has helped me go from being winded walking up a flight of stairs to being able to take a 3 hour hike like I did last Sunday.

I wouldn't be without it now!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    I've had a FitBit for about 5 months now. I attribute exactly 0 pounds of weight loss to the device. The data is neat to know, but if I lost it, I'd shrug my shoulders and go on without purchasing a replacement.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Waste of money. It's a glorified step counter. I can go to wal mart and buy one for $20.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    I've had mine since last December and lost 15kg in that time. I won't say that it's all due to the FitBit but it gives me a much better idea of my actual TDEE than I would have without it (as I thought I was sedentary when I'm active, not including formal exercise which adds another 300-500ish calories per day on average).
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Love, love, love it. I actually lost mine for a day a few months back and was devastated. I don't bother syncing with MFP tho. I'd rather log my exercise separately. I keep a little calendar booklet and log my steps in each night before bed. Great motivation for the next day. Last week my lowest day was 8,208 and my highest was 18,690. I bought mine around the same time I started on MFP and have lost 35 lbs. in that time. Its just another tool to keep you in check and motivate you. I'd say go for it!!!!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    I've had good success with my Fitbit Zip, for the same reasons already stated -- it gives me a clearer picture of my actual TDEE so I know how to adjust. It's not perfect (for instance, it doesn't track calories burned during non-accelerative exercise) but it does help me understand what I'm burning through normal daily activity.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Some people have said that it really motivates them reach that magical number of 10K steps. Me? Not so much. I thought it would really motivate me because I tend to be pretty competitive, but that hasn't been the case.

BUT - I've found it's really useful to keep me mindful of my activity level. If I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like exercising but I've only walked 2-3K steps that day - then I get my butt to the gym. But if I'm feeling lazy and I've already walked 8K steps then I'm ok with taking the day off from the gym.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    I was thinking of getting one but was worried that it would fall by the wayside after awhile like my exercise bike and treadmill . But then maybe it would encourage me to use them . Frannys hubby got one for Christmas last yr and it really inspired him , he has lost about 50 pounds and walks miles and miles each day .
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    I love mine. It's a tool I use to be more active. 'm not sure it helped my weight loss, but my goal is 15K steps a day and it gives me that extra push to keep going! :)
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    I've had good success with my Fitbit Zip, for the same reasons already stated -- it gives me a clearer picture of my actual TDEE so I know how to adjust. It's not perfect (for instance, it doesn't track calories burned during non-accelerative exercise) but it does help me understand what I'm burning through normal daily activity.

This for me too, I'm on the small side and there is a fine line between over eating for my size or staying within my calorie goal to lose weight. I generally eat back calories earned through fitbit and makes huge difference in how much I can eat!!
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    I was thinking of getting one but was worried that it would fall by the wayside after awhile like my exercise bike and treadmill . But then maybe it would encourage me to use them . Frannys hubby got one for Christmas last yr and it really inspired him , he has lost about 50 pounds and walks miles and miles each day .

I really did not like mine so I sold it