Why are Postal employees so rude?

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Our regular guy is awesome. If he goes on vacation though, watch out: no mail until late evening.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    The people in my post office are really nice. But then again they're pretty small. There's this one guy in the post office in a different town that I go to once in a while who's kind of annoying. He's nice but he's a chatter and just talks about nothing.

I don't know the letter carrier who delivers to our PO Box but when we have mail held he will jam every last piece of it into our tiny box and will rarely give us a key to a bigger one so we end up with smooshed mail.

Our UPS guy who delivers to the house is super nice. He even knows our cars and will wave when we see him driving on the street. He also likes my dog who, upon meeting him, jumped up into the back of the truck to investigate the packages.

I also do believe that most of them are rude because they're union and they don't really care. In all honesty if they did away with Saturday delivery or even delivered M-W-F it really wouldn't impact me one bit since I pick up the mail a few times a week any way.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's because they're 'Murican, but same things happen in Canada.

Nope, just the same in the UK too. There's even a character in one of our magazines that rips postmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman_Plod

Courier drivers are even worse.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The woman who used to rent my house lived with a guy who was a postman. Turned out he'd been stealing the mail for the giro checks (welfare payments). So I guess for him the tips were pretty good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The work sucks, the pay sucks, the people you have to deal with everyday are belligerent and annoying, because they have to deal with a high-volume workload on very little time and typically their hours are irregular.
    Why is nearly any other service oriented employee in the United States so miserable? Because this country has awful standards and regulations for that kind of work.

Their pay is pretty decent with good benefits. And the work is monotonous, not hard.

^^ True

Anyone who thinks letter carriers have sucky pay for their job has never walked in my shoes. :laugh:

I *wish* I got paid like that, and my work is harder than theirs.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    what I wanna know is why they drive those little trucks so crazy!

Erm....

eb454757-fc39-4ff1-af9c-170d2f6365f6.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Our regular guy is awesome. If he goes on vacation though, watch out: no mail until late evening.

My delivery guy is ok, but the people at the branch location are horrible.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Move to a small town! All of the Postal people here know everyone by name and I love my mailman. He's all tatted up with large ear plugs, he's just cool.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that very few people even acknowledge the existence of service people..the people who clean offices, clear up dishes, pick up the towels at gyms. Those people are treated as if they are invisible.

If you smile at someone, ask them how their day is going...it makes a world of difference.

I also say hello to our mailperson and make sure to leave her a gift for Xmas. (Her name is Bridget, she has 4 kids...)

This
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Fairly small town here, too. All of the people at my post office are very friendly, but the efficiency is lacking. Usually there's one person working the front desk. Then they disappear into the back to look for something, which always takes at least 10 minutes. What they're looking for is never where it's supposed to be. As the line grows and grows, nobody else comes out to serve customers. Other employees wander in and out of the desk area, but nobody ever stops to help.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with the Post Office here. If they aren't smiling and pleasant, they're quiet. Don't think I've ever had one be rude to me.

The DMV, on the other hand...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For the past 6 years I have been going to the post office for my job about twice day a day... They are human. Some people have bad days, some people are just lazy jerks, and some of them always go out of their way to friendly. You get a mix of it all.

People are just so self entitled now that if everyone isn't kissing their behinds they act like the world is ending.
  • smwright20
    smwright20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    <3 this!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this thread violate the TOS?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    because they genuinely don't give a *kitten*