How to overcome laziness?

Options
Okay, I asked questions before about support and motivation. Nothing seems to stick because im ridiculously LAZYYYY!!! Lazy to LIVE my life like a 20 year old, I will rather eat something and watch TV...And it's not that I even eat junk food or something, it's that I overeat, but now not about it. My life is passing past me and I just sit here like "merp, oh well". No...I do get motivated, I just GIVE UP to easy...and well I'm LAZYYY!!! Dictionaries should link my name when someone is searching for the definition of lazy...

How to overcome it? Any ideas what to change?

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'd say the first two weeks you really have to push yourself. Make yourself exercise and eat right. Once you make it past those two weeks it starts to become a routine and is much easier to stay motivated. Once you start seeing changes you will be happy that you started. I hated those first couple weeks, but now I LOVE going to the gym. There's a quote that says something like, "Time will pass regardless, so why not make changes now." (I know that's not exactly how it goes)

I hope this helps a little. Also a trick I use is that every morning when I wake up, I check out the success stories section. Keeps me inspired =)

If all else fails......Caffeine
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I'd say the first two weeks you really have to push yourself. Make yourself exercise and eat right. Once you make it past those two weeks it starts to become a routine and is much easier to stay motivated. Once you start seeing changes you will be happy that you started. I hated those first couple weeks, but now I LOVE going to the gym. There's a quote that says something like, "Time will pass regardless, so why not make changes now." (I know that's not exactly how it goes)

I hope this helps a little. Also a trick I use is that every morning when I wake up, I check out the success stories section. Keeps me inspired =)

Thank you. It is the difficult part, the STICKING WITH IT. I will keep trying ;)
    Oh caffeine if only it didn't hurt my heart.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im German there's a word for what is holding you back: Der innere Schweinehund! Directly translated that means "The inner pig-dog". The word comes from dogs that were used in hunting, they wouldn't let go of the pig, holding it in place... Well, the pig-dog is holding you in place. There's an easier, more common word for it, though: habit. Getting rid of bad habits is hard because the brain is programmed to follow them, you programmed it yourself to do that. But that also means that you can teach your brain new habits, healthier ones. I used to be a couch potato and watch series all day, because I wanted to lose some weight I made it into a habit to take my little weights and walk in place while watching. At first it suuuuucked but after a week I could hardly watch anything without doing that! New habits are easily aquired, old ones are hard to get rid of... but overwriting them is quite possible :)
  • Taterpoof
    Options

Thank you. It is the difficult part, the STICKING WITH IT. I will keep trying ;)
    Oh caffeine if only it didn't hurt my heart.

Yeah sticking with it is definitely tough, I think it's hard in the beginning because you want so badly to see results right away. It isn't until you start to see physical changes that this lifestyle change becomes exciting and addicting.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You just kinda have to do it. Just push yourself, really no one can convince you to get up and exercise, you have to want to do it yourself.

For me, I have two kids and I know if I don't lose weight and exercise to get healthy then I put myself at a higher risk of so many illnesses and I would never want my kids to be without their mammy.

Try maybe doing something that isn't just running or swimming, try a class like zumba or something fun. Any friends you can talk in to doing something like squash, badminton or tennis? If you are meeting someone and have plans to do it, then you are more likely to go.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Im German there's a word for what is holding you back: Der innere Schweinehund! Directly translated that means "The inner pig-dog". The word comes from dogs that were used in hunting, they wouldn't let go of the pig, holding it in place... Well, the pig-dog is holding you in place. There's an easier, more common word for it, though: habit. Getting rid of bad habits is hard because the brain is programmed to follow them, you programmed it yourself to do that. But that also means that you can teach your brain new habits, healthier ones. I used to be a couch potato and watch series all day, because I wanted to lose some weight I made it into a habit to take my little weights and walk in place while watching. At first it suuuuucked but after a week I could hardly watch anything without doing that! New habits are easily aquired, old ones are hard to get rid of... but overwriting them is quite possible :)
    Hmm, interesting :) Danke! :)
  • Taterpoof
    Options

Exactly! Eventually you will feel like you need to work out. It becomes part of your life, just like sitting on the couch and watching TV used to be.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    You just kinda have to do it. Just push yourself, really no one can convince you to get up and exercise, you have to want to do it yourself.

For me, I have two kids and I know if I don't lose weight and exercise to get healthy then I put myself at a higher risk of so many illnesses and I would never want my kids to be without their mammy.

Try maybe doing something that isn't just running or swimming, try a class like zumba or something fun. Any friends you can talk in to doing something like squash, badminton or tennis? If you are meeting someone and have plans to do it, then you are more likely to go.

I really to hate stating "excuses" but I can't do anything extra. Weekdays I go to college really early in the morning, then I babysit and sleep. So the only exercise I can do is elliptical. It's the whole laziness thing..."oh gosh, elliptical, noooooo"
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

Exactly! Eventually you will feel like you need to work out. It becomes part of your life, just like sitting on the couch and watching TV used to be.

I've did a challenge of 33 days of everyday, pretty much, doing elliptical. I thought I would crave it if I stop...well I stopped, and haven't got back since then.
  • Taterpoof
    Options

I've did a challenge of 33 days of everyday, pretty much, doing elliptical. I thought I would crave it if I stop...well I stopped, and haven't got back since then.

Cardio/Machines never gave me that craving. It was running outside, weight training, and sports that made me love exercise.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    perhaps there could be some reason, say you might have love problems? stressed at school, work or relationship? financial problem? there could be many reasons which doesn't seems to be directly co-related.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    perhaps there could be some reason, say you might have love problems? stressed at school, work or relationship? financial problem? there could be many reasons which doesn't seems to be directly co-related.

Nope nothing on that level. Other than I don't know what I want to do with my life, and I've been thinking for years already...but it's life, nothing I can do.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    stop being lazy. get up and do something. nobody can make you do anything but yourself. apparently you don't want it enough, or you'd get up off your butt and start doing something. you say you have no time, so make time. I get up at 3am to give myself time to workout in the morning before work. if you really want it, you make your own time.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The Germans have the best words, one of my favorites is kummerspeck. It translates to "grief bacon" and is a term for emotional overeating. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think if you find something you like doing that is active that will help. I was super lazy before I started doing roller derby, but now I love it and I want to kick butt so I go to every training session I can and I run and such on my off days. You mentioned that you go to school and then babysit, can you work out while you babysit? I have the sworkit app on my phone, you can specify how long you want to work out and what areas and you don't need any equipment, it even links to your MFP account! There is no reason you should feel chained to the elliptical.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    stop being lazy. get up and do something. nobody can make you do anything but yourself. apparently you don't want it enough, or you'd get up off your butt and start doing something. you say you have no time, so make time. I get up at 3am to give myself time to workout in the morning before work. if you really want it, you make your own time.

Well said. You have to want it bad enough.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I just did 40 minutes on elliptical :)

The thing is that I do want it but probably not bad enough to overcome my laziness. I am trying to beat it, it's like I get on elliptical and I go...after about 10 minutes, but once I get off I don't want to do anything else.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    No one can make you do something. Like above states, you have to put in the work to get the results. I hardly ever feel like working out, especially on the weekends just want to lay in my pjs. However, I like the way my body looks and I know what has happened before when I "fell of the wagon" and ate whatever and didn't do anything. I felt awful and looked it.

Also, I agree that once you start you become almost addicted and don't want to miss a day.

Maybe try and find something you enjoy, try new things and mix it up. Boredom does suck, try new things!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    In terms of incorporating exercise I think the key is making it a routine if you are having a tough time sticking with it. Mine is before work weekdays except for after work one day a week. And then 7:30 on weekends.

I read this quote (or a variation of it) on MFP last week. Getting fit is hard; being unfit is hard - pick your hard.

I have been running that through my head every time I am having a tough time. I love that!
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Take things slowly too. Don't make goals to exercise like 5 or 6 times a week if you have a hard time going at all. Your diet's the most important factor to keep in check if you're trying to control weight. I would suggest you work on establishing those habits like portion control and calorie counting first and maybe exercising once or twice a week. Plus, make small changes like taking the stairs more or walking a little bit out of the way more frequently. Movement that doesn't feel like exercise helps as well. With time, you slowly can up your exercise. If you overload yourself with too many new habits at once, it feels a lot more overwhelming and becomes harder to stick with the changes.
  • Ben_Avery
    Ben_Avery Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Set goals.Regardless of how small they are, once you hit a milestone you are motivated to keep on going. After a while the laziness habit makes way for a fitness habit.

Avoid negative people. I only surround myself with positive, motivated people. The habit wears off.

Ignore people who say "Just do it". A stupid Nike slogan with no motivational value.

Keep on challenging yourself. Whether the challenge is phyiscal or mental, it all helps to keeping your mind and body in an active state.

Good Luck.