How to overcome laziness?

Options

Replies

• weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to be the king of the lazy people. I spent thousands of dollars on TV's and entertainment devices. I could sit for hours and hours and accomplish nothing. Fast forward a few years and a few doctors appointments with one in particular where I was told I was fat. I now don't seem to have enough time to sit for even 5 minutes. Try to plan your meals at home or lunches. By the time I work, handle lifes chores, go to the gym, take care of the Rottie and make my breakfast and lunch for the next day there isn't much time. Now I wish I wouldn't have spent all that money on the stuff I don't seem to get much use out of. Stay strong!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have no support on here, everyone is concentrated on themselves and pretty much never comment, never suggest anything...

People are taking time out to help you here, you seemed grateful for it in your last post, what changed?

The easiest way for people to help is to relate back to their own experience and tell you what helped them. What more do you want? At the end of the day this is your issue...people can give you advice on what to eat, how to exercise etc but no one in this world can get your butt off of the couch other than you. Enough with the excuses and blaming other people!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have no support on here, everyone is concentrated on themselves and pretty much never comment, never suggest anything...
    LOL!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself that you are going to workout for 5 mins. Go for a 5 minute walk. You'll be surprised how much longer it turns out to be.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I make deals with myself...get my workout done, and then I can be as lazy as I want to be the rest of the day. Thursdays are my day, so I'll sleep in, eat, workout, and then I get to lounge on the couch the rest of the day but still feel accomplished.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I'm so lazy...that none of those suggestions seem to stick.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    I'm starting to think this is trolling at work.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

so you said you're a medical student.

tell us makes you study/go to med school ? what's your motivation. why aren't you lazy with med school & studying ?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is boring as hell.....maybe try something more interesting.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

OP has some interesting postings....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/10372931
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes after action. Put yourself into action then you will see yourself feel more motivated. Don't wait for the motivation to hit you, just start.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1 - find alternative activities you enjoy doing besides sitting in front of the tv.
    2 - stop making excuses.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Yup - I think you might be right...or at least I hope you are!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Like I stated earlier.............................maybe you need a health issue to change your mind before you do it. Your expectations of a little exercise yielding great results is unreasonable. But really, you're the only one who can decide to stop being lazy or not. As it sounds, you're not interested in being fitter. So just eat less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xionfairy
    Options
    i usually can't stay still so usually i'm around the house cleaning, doing yoga or taking a walk. :happy: if a certain exercise is boring then look around for a mixture of exercises and find some music then lose yourself in it! :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Read the book "The Power of Habit." It provides great insight into why we do (or don't do) the things we do. Essentially, you need to force yourself to do the things that will give you the results you want for long enough for them to become a habit.

Most people don't "WANT" to count calories, limit their eating to mostly healthy foods, or work out on a regular basis. Especially not at first. The best advice I've ever received is to treat working out like a job. Most days, I'm not looking forward to getting up and going to work when my alarm rings. I'd much rather stay in bed, watch TV and be lazy. Yet, I get up and go to work anyway, because I like the results -- money to pay for food, shelter, clothing, cars, vacations, etc. I look at working out/logging food the same way. They are behaviors that create a more favorable existence for me, so I keep doing them.

It does get easier as your neural circuits become programmed to support your new habits. Interestingly enough, as I've gained discipline in eating and working out, the discipline has spread to other areas of my life as well. I am much better at keeping my house clean, managing my finances, and am able to juggle a full-time job, a full-time doctorate program and being a mom. I would have never had the energy or the drive to accomplish those things before.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    "Sticking with it" does not always mean doing the same things....I change my MO all the time. If I had to stick with any ONE thing, I would not do well....my dynamics are too.....dynamic lol
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

tell us makes you study/go to med school ? what's your motivation. why aren't you lazy with med school & studying ?

Only thing I am kind of interested that would pay a crap ton of money.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options

what is this suppose to mean???
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Only thing I am kind of interested that would pay a crap ton of money.

You'd better work on new habits now, because I've worked with hundreds of doctors in the 17 years that I've been a nurse, and I don't think I've ever met a lazy doctor. You'll never survive your internship and residency if you don't build some good habits, work on your health, and develop some strategies to motivate yourself. Docs make a lot of money, but they also work 14 hour days on a regular basis.