What's the dumbest thinspo quote you've heard?

Options

Replies

• hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Everyone should chill out. We can't protect everyone who has ever had a challenging issue from everything. Some people have lost loved ones. should we never post about our families? Some people are stalled in their weight loss for whatever reason. Maybe we should stop posting our success stories so we don't offend anyone! Some people are struggling with sugar addictions. Should we never talk about that too?

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thank you.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Everyone should chill out. We can't protect everyone who has ever had a challenging issue from everything. Some people have lost loved ones. should we never post about our families? Some people are stalled in their weight loss for whatever reason. Maybe we should stop posting our success stories so we don't offend anyone! Some people are struggling with sugar addictions. Should we never talk about that too?

27508099.png

I would hardly compare someone with a life threatening mental illness with people who are stalled in their weight loss in terms of how "triggering" an image can be.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Forum topics like this can be extremely triggering for those of us who suffer with Anorexia or Bulimia. You could be doing some major damage to people in recovery. You think it's funny, while those with disorders are looking at this forum and using it as inspiration NOT to eat.

she is a recovering anorexic. chill.

I agree that it's not cool to post these.

Because, you know, people can't be responsible for themselves, what they put in front of their face, or what links they click on...
    :noway:

This has been said to me:
    "You're s thin and beautiful! Do you eat 1200 calories a day? I wish I could look like you!"
    My response?
    "I'm not thin, I'm a strong and solid size 6. If I ate 1200 calories a day, I would starve. I run, I cycle, I lift... I eat anywhere between 1700 and 3000 calories a day, every day."

ETA: My first half marathon was June 2012, and I finished in 2:18:35. I ran my 4th half a couple days ago and finished in 2:08:55. You better believe that training didn't happen at a calorie deficit!
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Why eat when you know you'll get hungry again" BAHAHAHAH I can't!!!

And buffalo wings and margaritas taste way better than skinny feels.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Forum topics like this can be extremely triggering for those of us who suffer with Anorexia or Bulimia. You could be doing some major damage to people in recovery. You think it's funny, while those with disorders are looking at this forum and using it as inspiration NOT to eat.

Those who are recovering from eating disorders are encouraged to take responsibility for and control their triggers. They are not encouraged to change the rest of the world to alter their view of food to match the views of the person in recovery. Not only is it impossible to know what it feels like to be recovering from an ED (which is screamed from the rooftops daily) but it is also impossible to bubblewrap the entire internet so it won't trigger anything. You're on a website full of food and people trying to get skinny - but THIS specific thread is a trigger?

Recovery includes learning to handle your triggers personally, without putting that responsibility on everyone else - especially on people who have never been there. If things become too intense or painful while reading in here, it is best to browse something else for awhile or get off the computer and do something else.

:flowerforyou:

what tumblr says when you search #thinspo
    If you or someone you know is dealing with an eating disorder, self harm issues, or suicidal thoughts, please visit our Counseling & Prevention Resources page for a list of services that may be able to help. No posts found.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Wow, with that kind of reasoning, why make your bed, or wash your clothes, since they're just going to get dirty again! haha
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

27508099.png

I would hardly compare someone with a life threatening mental illness with people who are stalled in their weight loss in terms of how "triggering" an image can be.

And some people will jump at the chance to be offended by anything at all.

In the sense that the poster used the reference, it is an acceptable comparison. Relax.
  • hannahpistolas
    Options

Those who are recovering from eating disorders are encouraged to take responsibility for and control their triggers. They are not encouraged to change the rest of the world to alter their view of food to match the views of the person in recovery. Not only is it impossible to know what it feels like to be recovering from an ED (which is screamed from the rooftops daily) but it is also impossible to bubblewrap the entire internet so it won't trigger anything. You're on a website full of food and people trying to get skinny - but THIS specific thread is a trigger?

Recovery includes learning to handle your triggers personally, without putting that responsibility on everyone else - especially on people who have never been there. If things become too intense or painful while reading in here, it is best to browse something else for awhile or get off the computer and do something else.

:flowerforyou:
    If you or someone you know is dealing with an eating disorder, self harm issues, or suicidal thoughts, please visit our Counseling & Prevention Resources page for a list of services that may be able to help. No posts found.

I like it, and I'm gonna put a ring on it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE ALL A MAN REALLY WANTS IS A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS.

yeah i sht you not.

::facepalm:: Not my man! Where do these girls get this stuff?

i dunno but dang girl - your new pic / hair looks better than skinny tastes. or something.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

27508099.png

In the sense that the poster used the reference, it is an acceptable comparison. Relax.

Not offended, just concerned. But I am obviously in the minority here.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Yes, yes they do.

b8afb7623ace451ea59425b7556960cf.jpg
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

yeah i sht you not.

i dunno but dang girl - your new pic / hair looks better than skinny tastes. or something.

Thanks lady! I like my hair more than a fat kid loves cake!<~~now no one take offense to that. Seriously.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you're easily triggered why would you click on this topic in the first place when it very obviously states it involves thinspo quotes? People are just looking to be offended on purpose.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options

yeah i sht you not.

Thanks lady! I like my hair more than a fat kid loves cake!<~~now no one take offense to that. Seriously.

i am a fat kid who does not love cake and i take offense to this statement! :mad: :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Something like this is up on my daughter wall, of her choosing.

8912429.jpg?303

Why not focus on recovery quotes and not on thinspo?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    All of you pretty women are triggering me! I don't want to cheat on my wife but you're triggering! STOP TRIGGERING!

Oh okay I give up you win I will sex you all!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Risqué photographs sent via PM to all. I didn't want to have to do that, but you made me.

Also,

"Food will only bring temporary satisfaction."

Extremely twisted approach. Implies that not eating will bring lasting satisfaction. It's like saying that breathing only brings temporary satisfaction.
  • hannahpistolas
    Options

27508099.png

Not offended, just concerned. But I am obviously in the minority here.

The fact of the matter is, you can't hide from everything. Do you think I troll the thinspo posts on Tumblr? No. Do they still show up? Yes. Would I love to be that thin? Yes. Am I going to let a picture dictate my health? No. I realize that I may come off as insensitive, especially because not everyone who recovers can get to a point where they accept that there will always be someone thinner, and that's okay. Or to a point where they realize that they don't have to be underweight to be beautiful. But if I couldn't laugh at it, and laugh at myself, do you know where I'd be? Back on my thinspo blog, or in the doctor's office getting my prescription for Adderall again, or locked in a bathroom. Sometimes you have to take a laugh where you can instead of breaking down.
  • hannahpistolas
    Options
    Something like this is up on my daughter wall, of her choosing.

8912429.jpg?303

Why not focus on recovery quotes and not on thinspo?

I love this. And I love Demi Lovato.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Risqué photographs sent via PM to all. I didn't want to have to do that, but you made me.

Also,

"Food will only bring temporary satisfaction."

Extremely twisted approach. Implies that not eating will bring lasting satisfaction. It's like saying that breathing only brings temporary satisfaction.

pft. i didn't get one. :sad:
This discussion has been closed.