3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    That is where we disagree... I was doing 900 cals a day for a couple months (I now hate tuna boxes...) before I asked my doc why i wasnt losing (thought it was lack of exercise). She told me about starvation mode, and recomended a few apps for my phone including MFP. The difference was like night and day when I actually started following the 1k deficit = 2lbs a week plan on MFP. I still dont exercise.

BTW congrats on 61lbs... :-)

You don't need to agree with me. Science agrees with me just fine.

yeah, there is not a third option. its one or the other. 1) your making an error somewhere, either in your logging, portions, or knowledge of what your eating... or 2) you are one of the rare ones and have an underlying medical condition. math is math, science is science... body comp, other factors at play, fat loss, very simple, cals in / energy out.
  • N3RD0V571CK
    N3RD0V571CK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is where we disagree... I was doing 900 cals a day for a couple months (I now hate tuna boxes...) before I asked my doc why i wasnt losing (thought it was lack of exercise). She told me about starvation mode, and recomended a few apps for my phone including MFP. The difference was like night and day when I actually started following the 1k deficit = 2lbs a week plan on MFP. I still dont exercise.

BTW congrats on 61lbs... :-)

You don't need to agree with me. Science agrees with me just fine.
    You dont have to preach to me about science. Im an engineer. I have a science degree (Granted, its computer science, but I am an avid follower of all science). However just saying that what you believe is backed up by science doesnt make it true. As I have mentioned, I have read and consulted with experts in the scientific field of medicine, and there is empirical evidence that this happens (there are enough accounts by a large enough pool of people, that experts have made the effort to explain the cause). I have experienced it first hand, and am sure of the accuracy of my calorie intakes. This and the experiences of others seems to prove the theory. THATs science.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that she does have a medical issue, but I got my blood tested and the doctor told me that my thyroid is in the below average range of secreting the appropriate amount of hormones to signal the metabolism to run/function. I didn't just take his word for it, I took up several blood tests, but they were the same results. I've still managed to lose weight though and maybe she is eating too much, but you know, a combination of eating too much and a medical problem could be hindering her process. Don't be so quick to dismiss the "thyroid" issue. I think people want to laugh so much at that now that they forget, it does exist.

It's so much more rare than logging/miscalculation issues, it would be dumb to even suspect it before ruling something else out.

Telling someone who isn't losing weight but is unable to verify correct logging/calculations to get their thyroid checked is like replacing a car's engine because the low coolant light came on.

Okay, well, that is true - it would be stupid to assume it's a thyroid issue before combating all other hidden culprits (logging, underestimating food, overestimating exercise, denial, quality of food etc. True, good point.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

To lose weight there needs to be a deficit; however, not to the point where it takes your body into a starvation mode!! Looking at 3rd world countries, these individuals are starving and will hold onto fat cells and their muscles are not being fed. Have you seen the pictures of those whom are starving. Thin arms and legs.

No. Starving people don't have fat bellies.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/the-bloated-look-of-the-starving/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation

The bloated stomach, ..., represents a form of malnutrition called kwashiorkor which is caused by insufficient protein despite a sufficient caloric intake.

I do not recall saying fat bellies?? Did I miss something? I am fully aware of why their bellies are distended.