ATTN: ALL WOMEN APPROX. 5'0"

Options

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been working at this since March. I'm 5'0" - HW (starting) = 163.5, CW = 126-127. I run or bicycle for 30-45 minutes x6 days moderate intensity. Based on calculations TDEE -20% was close to 1200, I'm sticking to averaging around 1200 daily on a weekly basis since now I weigh less. I don't eat back my exercise deliberately - although on days I eat a lot am happy that exercise keeps me in the green. I'm trying to add more strength work but I find it boring and hard to get motivation. I tried insanity and boot camp but find that plyo is hard on legs/feet which have various types of tendonitis. I would be happy maintaining at this weight since my whole life in military I had trouble staying under 128, so finding good ability to maintain on weeks where I can't easily exercise (while traveling) or I want to eat things not on my current diet (some pizza and pasta in Italy, for example), is my primary goal.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH?
    HW: 113
    GW: I didn’t have one ( I started tracking nutrition and exercising more because fat was starting to settle in places that I didn’t like)
    CW: 100

HOW TALL ARE YOU? 5’1”

WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT?
    5 times a week in the morning I alternate between bodyweight circuit training, kickboxing, and HIIT training via different DVD programs.
    3 times a week in the afternoon I lift (Stronglifts 5x5)

ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING?
    Maintaining, but considering a mini-bulk.

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT?
    My average gross calorie intake over a 42 day period was 1580 (which incidentally was close to my IIFYM TDEE calculation of 1590). It can range between upper 1390s to 1900.

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU NET?
    Currently set to 1450 on MFP. I always eat back my calories (less an average of about 40 per day).

For those who have been maintaining, a question for you: is your range for fluctuations for water retention or glycogen retention more like 1-2 lbs (as opposed to 5 lbs)?
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my fellow shorties out there :smile: Feel free to add me on here :flowerforyou:

HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH? 132
    GW: I don't really have a specific goal weight in mind. When I was younger and a bit of a party girl, I was a very skinny, albeit with big boobs, 100-105. I don't really want to get my body back to that state. As long as I get back into my old pants, I won't mind if I weigh 120.
    HOW TALL ARE YOU? 5ft .5in
    WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT? 4-5x/week, currently doing mostly yoga, strength training and the RI30 dvd. I was doing 6x/week for a long time, but now I'm trying to work more effectively, not necessarily longer/more calories.
    ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING? Losing (very slowly); mostly looking at body recomposition
    HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT? Approximately 1500
    HOW MANY CALS DO YOU NET? I'd say 1300-1400. MFP had me at 1200, but I changed it up to 1450 or so. I eat my exercise calories back, but try not to go overboard considering hrms aren't necessarily super accurate. I'd say for a while, I did mess up and had too big of a deficit some days, I'm trying to work with a very tiny deficit, even if it takes a long time, so that I can maintain whatever my ultimate weight might be long term.
  • justinepascual
    Options
    STATS:

HW: 118

CW: 110

LW: 104

Goal: 110

HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH? 110

HOW TALL ARE YOU? 5' 3/4"

WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT? M/W/F Heavy Lifting for 1.5-2 hours. I use the Starting Strength method (barbell squats, bench, OHP, deadlift, power clean) Barely any cardio... I've found that I've lost more fat and look more defined without all the cardio. (Completed the insanity challenge and a few half marathons before...) Recently started doing 30 min sprints on Tuesdays.

ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING? Maintaining and building them muscles ;)

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT? I TRY to eat 1600 calories but I always fall short and range anywhere from 1100-1400. Working on that...

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU NET? Don't really calculate this ever...
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    BUMPP

ALSO,

To everyone who has replied. I need some advice,

did/ do you seem to have better body composition results when you eat a higher amount of cals ( but obvs. still under or arounf your goal)

Like I said in the OP, I have litterally just begun netting 1200. (Which means I eat back exercise cals)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    STATS:

HW: 135

CW: 107.5

LW: 99.5

Goal: 103

HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH? 107.5

HOW TALL ARE YOU? 5' 3"

WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT? Everyday! Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday I run 3.5 miles and do 30 minutes of yoga. Wednesday and Saturday I do 30 minutes of yoga and 15 minutes of bodyweight circuit training and 10 additional minutes of cardio, or just 30 minutes of circuit training. Sunday is either a rest day or light yoga and running or walking.

ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING? I was maintaining for a long time until I gained 5 pounds after classes started, but once I lose those 5 I'll be back to maintaining :)

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT? Anywhere between 1000 and 1400, depending on the day. I usually shoot for 1200 and some days are a little over or under.

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU NET? It depends on how many calories I eat but I typically don't eat back my calories burned.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    BUMPP

ALSO,

did/ do you seem to have better body composition results when you eat a higher amount of cals ( but obvs. still under or arounf your goal)

Like I said in the OP, I have litterally just begun netting 1200. (Which means I eat back exercise cals)
    I guess it depends on your opinion of "better" as far as body comp. goes. My bf% is pretty low, and many would actually like to see me at a higher range. I NET around 1950-2000 calories. I was still losing when I was NETing below that, so its hard to say at what calorie goal the "best" body composition results were. I can always re-evaluate if I actually gain some bf, but it hasn't happened yet. I seem to be getting leaner,even as I eat more.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    BUMPP

ALSO,

I may be a guy but if your focus is improving body composition and are within a few lbs of goal weight, you should ideally be eating about 250 calories below maintenance while doing strength training and eating an adequate amount of protein to spare as much lean mass as possible. Excessively large deficits in reasonably lean people, especially in the absence of resistance training and adequate protein intake, leads to a significant loss in lean mass in addition to a greater decrease in total energy expenditure (ie: your body's potential to burn calories is greatly reduced).

There is a limit to how much body fat can be oxidized in a 24 hour period - the less total fat mass you have, the less fat you are capable of burning in a single day. Think of it as a maximum deficit whereby fat oxidation stops once you cross that threshold for that day. Thus, deficits that cross this threshold will lead to lean mass as being the sole source of energy. We all lose a little lean mass when eating at a deficit; but the amount of lean mass loss increases the closer you get to that max deficit.

Ex: I have 20 lbs of total fat mass. Thus, 20 lbs x 31 cal = 620 calorie max deficit.

Before creating a deficit, I maintained eating 2900 calories. The above estimate means my body will cease burning fat in that 24 hour period if I eat below 2300 calories. However, as I mentioned above, the closer to this max deficit I get, the more lean mass is lost. Since my goal is to preserve as much lean mass as possible, I reduce the deficit to 250 so that I eat no less than 2600 calories. This 250 calorie deficit will result in a weekly average loss of 0.5 lbs which is ideal for someone within 15 lbs or less from their goal weight/body composition.

Note that for persons with a lot of fat mass, reaching this max deficit is not realistic since it may require you to eat a dangerously low amount of calories that can be in the negative.

The research paper on the above limit to fat oxidation study is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    This is where I'm confused.

Height 4ft 11
    HW 130lbs
    CW 127lbs
    LW 116lbs

To be 116 I used to do excessive exercise and was eating around 800-1000 calories per day with binge days on the weekend with alcohol etc. it was mainly cardio then with strength training being body pump. I've tried to eat more...up to 2000 and gained, eat less..1200 and not lost. Now I'm trying 1400 and I'm not seeing progress. Admittedly before I was skinny fat with less strength. I'm def much stronger now.

Now I do stronglifts and interval training and just started running in last few weeks (trying to build up from 5k to 10k)I play netball once a week after my lifting. It's been about two years since upping calories and doing less intense cardio and I can't lose. My measurements are higher too. I'm pretty consistent with weighing food and logging and my diary is open if anyone can give feedback. I'm trying to rude alcohol too. I work as a PE teacher so my day varies on what lessons I have and how much I'm on my feet.

EAT 1400-1500
    NET 1100-1200

I'm only logging calories burned through cardio.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    BUMPP

ALSO,

I agree with geekjockey's advice. When I was training for my marathon, I lost quite a bit of weight, including lean muscle mass. I was usually in a calorie deficit because I believe I was underestimating my calorie burn during running. I also have underlying health issues (Crohn's disease) that caused me to lose weight, but I don't think that changes the big picture. If the deficit is too big, you will lose muscle mass. I am currently still running, but focusing also on strength training and eating as many calories as I can.
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

HW: 199.6
    Current: 158
    Goal: 140
    Exercise: I used to work out 20-40 minutes a day but I've started slacking on that and barely get that a week now

I'm still losing but it has slowed down due to the lack of exercise.
    MFP has me at a 1470 calorie goal right now, down from 1550. I usually eat anywhere from 1250-1400 daily.

I've also lost over 41 inches and 3 clothes sizes since January.
  • Mandy290
    Mandy290 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im 29, 4'11" and currently 168 lbs. I was 115 lbs pre-pregnancy 10 years ago.Three kids later and becoming a stay home Mom, I have become a stress eater, eat when Im bored and somtimes binge eat at night. Time for a change. My cal intake is 1200 and I net at 1200-1500. I do eat back all my exercise cals. My first goal to get to 130 lbs.
  • thinfitfabulous
    Options
    HOPE EVERYONE IS GETTING AS MUCH FROM THIS FORUM AS I AM ! :)

*****TO THE POST I QUOTED BELOW

Thank you so much for the explanation - unfortunately up until this very week I have had the attitude that the bigger the deficit, the better- regardless of the fact that mfp warned me I was under eating. However, now I have seemed to have some level headedness and am working towards a less disordered way of eating in order to recomp my body to finally get the super lean, defined look rather than super small but sorta soft.
  • thinfitfabulous
    Options
    BUMPP

ALSO,

I may be a guy but if your focus is improving body composition and are within a few lbs of goal weight, you should ideally be eating about 250 calories below maintenance while doing strength training and eating an adequate amount of protein to spare as much lean mass as possible. Excessively large deficits in reasonably lean people, especially in the absence of resistance training and adequate protein intake, leads to a significant loss in lean mass in addition to a greater decrease in total energy expenditure (ie: your body's potential to burn calories is greatly reduced).

There is a limit to how much body fat can be oxidized in a 24 hour period - the less total fat mass you have, the less fat you are capable of burning in a single day. Think of it as a maximum deficit whereby fat oxidation stops once you cross that threshold for that day. Thus, deficits that cross this threshold will lead to lean mass as being the sole source of energy. We all lose a little lean mass when eating at a deficit; but the amount of lean mass loss increases the closer you get to that max deficit.

Ex: I have 20 lbs of total fat mass. Thus, 20 lbs x 31 cal = 620 calorie max deficit.

Before creating a deficit, I maintained eating 2900 calories. The above estimate means my body will cease burning fat in that 24 hour period if I eat below 2300 calories. However, as I mentioned above, the closer to this max deficit I get, the more lean mass is lost. Since my goal is to preserve as much lean mass as possible, I reduce the deficit to 250 so that I eat no less than 2600 calories. This 250 calorie deficit will result in a weekly average loss of 0.5 lbs which is ideal for someone within 15 lbs or less from their goal weight/body composition.

Note that for persons with a lot of fat mass, reaching this max deficit is not realistic since it may require you to eat a dangerously low amount of calories that can be in the negative.

The research paper on the above limit to fat oxidation study is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615
  • munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

Height: 4'10
    Weight: 122
    Goal: 100

I love to exercise and I eat too!:) Depending upon my schedule, I workout at least 4 times a week. I do both cardio and strength training. I'm at my heaviest weight right now I think, ever, but I think I'm gaining muscles too cuz I love lifting weights. I also have Beachbody programs at home that I do once in a while, whenever I can fit it in my schedule. My daily calorie intake is set at 1,500, but I usually go over because of my workouts. I'm also drinking shakeology to supplement my nutrition. It has really boosted my energy!
  • Chicharone
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and 37 years old
    High weight: 180 (pregnancy)
    Low weight: 105 ( many years ago)
    Current weight: 120

I joined MFP to maintain the 15 lb weight loss I had when I started excercising over the summer. I am set at maintenance, lightly active which is 1560 calories.

I run 5k 2-3 times a week and usually also do a three mile walk once or twice a week. I always eat back my excercise calories even if it means I have to eat extra chocolate. :)

I'm 3 weeks into using MFP so it may be too early to tell but so far so good!
  • gampsm824
    gampsm824 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Height 5ft 2 in.

Highest weight:192
    Lowest weight: 95
    Current weight: 160 ish
    Goal weight: 125

I joined MFP after my doctor told me I was at risk of becoming diabetic if I didn't get some of the weight off. I exercise usually 5x a week. I usually eat back my exercise calories. I am 5 months into using MFP.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    HW. 156
    LW. Not sure. Maybe 110. Did not weigh myself for YEARS
    CW. 129.3
    GW. Current goal is set at 125. Not sure on final goal.
    Height 5' 1"
    Age 59

My daughter got me to do mfp. I had back surgery in 2012 and gained lot of weight.
    I do not know what to set for a goal. I am large boned for my height stocky and child bearing hips. My sisters all have narrow pelvises and are size 0 and 00. I am smaller than I have been in years right now.
    I ALWAYS eat back exercise. Been told that is supreme importance.
  • Chiyak
    Chiyak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My stats:

HW: 155
    CW: 133
    Goal: 115
    HT: 5'1

WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT? I do Pilates 2x per week. I've been biking and kayaking but since the weather is changing I'm looking for some classes to join.

ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING? Losing

HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT? ~850 (0n Medifast 5&1 plan)
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    STATS:

HW: 160

CW: 138

LW: 138

Goal: 125

HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH? 138
    HOW TALL ARE YOU? 5'1"
    WHEN/HOW DO YOU WORKOUT? Walk daily, gym (cardio & strength training) 3-5 days a week
    ARE YOU MAINTAINING OR LOSING? I am still losing but it has slowed down quite a bit. I am really focusing on strength training at this point.
    HOW MANY CALS DO YOU EAT? 1200 calories
    HOW MANY CALS DO YOU NET? 1500-1600