Why does Coke Zero make my hungry?

Options

Replies

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the artificial sweeteners. Your brain essentially thinks you've eaten but your stomach is empty and your body isn't registering any nutrition.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just drank two of them and I'm starving now!!! Does that acid break down the food in my stomach more quickly?

Is Coke zero without sugar or without caffeine? The reason I ask is because when I drank loads of diet coke, the caffeine had me starving! I only figured this out AFTER I figured out that I was getting way too much caffeine and eliminated it from my eating plan. I haven't been that hungry since.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the artificial sweeteners. Your brain essentially thinks you've eaten but your stomach is empty and your body isn't registering any nutrition.

Why would my brain think I'm eating when I'm drinking something? I don't get hungry when I drink water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot on the news lately about diet sodas and their effect on people who drink them.
    Mehmet Oz, MD Follow
    Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Many people use artificial sweeteners to cut their caloric intake, but the very opposite effect can occur. New research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate taste receptors that sense sweetness in both the esophagus and stomach. Anticipating energy, the pancreas releases insulin, an important hormone for accumulating body fat. At the same time, chemicals are sent to the brain’s satiety center, which becomes confused as to whether or not the body is actually receiving calories. The result? You feel even hungrier and less full, which can lead to weight gain.

More Answers from Mehmet Oz, MD

basically drink water instead
    Oz is fictional place not a nutritionist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I know what the problem is: no bacon and no pop tarts taken in with it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Actually, it has nothing to do with the acid. IT is very well documented that artificial sweeteners make you crave more calories!!!
    I used to have such a huge problem binge eating and was considering seeing a therpaist to determine if I had an eating disorder because I genuinely felt out of control. I could inhale 2000 calories in one sitting.
    Turned out, it was all the splenda I was using in my coffee!!!! (the same sweetener used in diet coke). After reading all of the studies on SPlenda and others, I decided to stop using it a few months ago, literally have not had a single binge since then!!
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners will mess with your liver enzymes, potentially leaving you even hungrier after just a short while and causing you to overeat in the end. Coke also contains caffeine, which will have a diuretic effect and make you thirsty sooner or later.
    I've also heard that a lot of people have reported being more thirsty after having soda? Don't know if that is founded though.

Caffeine, except in high doses, is not a diuretic according to the Mayo Clinic.

Drinking soda can make you thirstier after because it has added sodium to it, to make you thirsty so you drink another can!!
    (No joke, check the label...lol)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually, it has nothing to do with the acid. IT is very well documented that artificial sweeteners make you crave more calories!!!
    Those lying peer reviewed clinical studies!!!! They claim that it's more psychological than physical.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Drinking soda can make you thirstier after because it has added sodium to it, to make you thirsty so you drink another can!!
    (No joke, check the label...lol)
    Dang, no wonder I'm thirsty after eating a chicken breast. It has more than double the amount of sodium than a diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Probably because you feel like arguing with internet strangers

Ironic coming from you
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It didn't. Not eating recently did.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    have you actually read anything recently? I posted quotes including names of papers to a Yale neuroscience journal paper referencing several 'real' peer reviewed studies (in another aspartame hater thread) showing regardless of the artificial sweetener ( I drink diet coke with aspartame I am not a hater ) you experience a sweet taste but your brain doesn't understand it has had something sweet so you are still hungry and because sweetness (and high fat foods) increase your desire for more of the same you crave sweetness until you consume a natural sweetener that tells your brain you have had some.

edited cos I forgot to say I quoted it in another thread... That you were also posting similarly in
    Those lying peer reviewed clinical studies!!!! They claim that it's more psychological than physical.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's probably just one of those things we'll never know!!! Like, why does cleaning my ears with a cotton bud nearly make me orgasm??? One of life's great mysteries my friend. Let it go :wink:
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot on the news lately about diet sodas and their effect on people who drink them.
    Mehmet Oz, MD Follow
    Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Many people use artificial sweeteners to cut their caloric intake, but the very opposite effect can occur. New research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate taste receptors that sense sweetness in both the esophagus and stomach. Anticipating energy, the pancreas releases insulin, an important hormone for accumulating body fat. At the same time, chemicals are sent to the brain’s satiety center, which becomes confused as to whether or not the body is actually receiving calories. The result? You feel even hungrier and less full, which can lead to weight gain.

More Answers from Mehmet Oz, MD

basically drink water instead

^^this. (Even if it's Dr. Oz who basically uses his show to endorse products, IMO)

The long and short of it is "fake sugar". The body doesn't know what to do with it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I just drank two of them and I'm starving now!!! Does that acid break down the food in my stomach more quickly?

It's because it contains the horrible chemical of death that's a bajillion-bajillion times more harmful than arsenic.

Or, at least, that's what people are going to tell you....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Like, why does cleaning my ears with a cotton bud nearly make me orgasm??? One of life's great mysteries my friend. Let it go :wink:

Finally, some solid info from these forums.....

.... are there pics, by any chance?
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sorry Jimmmer I've never actually considered taking a selfie whilst I'm cotton budding but it's definitely something I might consider. I'll keep you updated!!!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    whatever the reason, you should listen to your body. Coke Zero leaves your feeling hungry soon afterwards, so your body is not happy with that choice. try something else.