Can you count calories long term?

Options
13»

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 years old and can't remember not ever counting my calories. Maybe I didn't count in my teens. I had my first baby when I was 22 and started counting after that, I guess.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How long have you been counting calories?

I just started counting calories today. Do you think you can keep up logging your calories for a long time? Do you think it is easy and convenient?
    I've been on MFP for about 2.5 years. I logged pretty consistently at first, but I've taken several breaks where I logged sporadically or not at all. No, I absolutely do not find it convenient or easy. Even without measuring or weighing food it's a chore. So many conficting entries that I constantly have to search the internet to see which is most correct.
    Sometimes it is really difficult to know how many calories are in a meal or dish if I eat out.
    Totally agree with this. We often eat at local places that aren't chains or at the home of a freind / relative and it's impossible to really know the ingredients. Even with a chain, the website will give a rough estimate that may be off by several hundred calories. For this reason, I rarely log meals eaten out.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking on and off for over 5 years now. When I don't track I gain weight and there is nothing worse for me than having to lose the same 30 lbs over and over again. It is just something that I am going to have to make a life long priority because that's just how I am.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been counting calories for years. Sometimes if I go out to eat I don't count but I'm maintaining and count calories most of the time.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well, i was anorexic at age 10. So i was tracking calories then. Sad, i know.
    From 10-19, my eating disorder controlled everything i ate.
    Then i started working out. I recovered. Now i track all macros to make sure i get what i need. So...been tracking for 13 years. It becomes such a normal part of life that you dont even blink over it anymore. My family doesnt even notice the notebook.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Honestly, considering the horrible statistics for weight regain, that we don't have an option. The measly 5% that have been able to lose their desired weight and keep it off are diligent about it. They keep track of what they eat and exercise on a daily basis.

Where did you get these statistics?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Honestly, considering the horrible statistics for weight regain, that we don't have an option. The measly 5% that have been able to lose their desired weight and keep it off are diligent about it. They keep track of what they eat and exercise on a daily basis.

I've seen this number a lot too, that has come from various studies that have been done on long term weight loss- depending on which study there's a statistical 80-95% failure rate for long term weight loss (more than five years). Only a very few of us will actually maintain our losses long term. Lovely isn't it :angry:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same foods all the time (not the same thing every day, but certainly something I've logged in the last month) so I don't worry about inaccuracies so much because my old foods pop up first. The odd time that I'm addint something I don't regularly eat isn't going to do much damage if I'm off on calories.

I find it easy to log from my phone, I think the hardest part about logging is hiding that I'm logging because people think it's weird/obsessive/disordered whatever. I like to know what's going on in my body and I can't keep a mental tally of everything I ate to ensure I'm not going overboard and that I get enough protein. I eat a very appropriate amount of calories for my activity levels and goals and if that's so disordered I can't help but wonder who has the problem lol
  • Kblackm
    Kblackm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am doing this more from a nutritional/health standpoint than trying to lose a lot of weight (although I have taken off some weight). I try to log every single thing or use an equivalent because the reports that show the nutrition I am actually taking in are so valuable. Yes there are a conflicts on a few of the entries for eat-out so sometimes i take each individual ingredient and enter, but normally don't obsess over that. As long as I am controlling daily the majority of the food I intake, a wrong entry here and there will not matter much.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I've seen this number a lot too, that has come from various studies that have been done on long term weight loss- depending on which study there's a statistical 80-95% failure rate for long term weight loss (more than five years). Only a very few of us will actually maintain our losses long term. Lovely isn't it :angry:

I wasn't questioning that one so much as the statement that the entire 5% that does manage to keep it off logs food diligently. I doubt very much that is true. I would think it would be those that learn to manage their diet intuitively that have the best long term success. Those that learn to do it without so much work.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I wasn't questioning that one so much as the statement that the entire 5% that does manage to keep it off logs food diligently. I doubt very much that is true. I would think it would be those that learn to manage their diet intuitively that have the best long term success. Those that learn to do it without so much work.

ah, I misunderstood you! Yeah, I'm in maintenance now (4ish months now) and I'm not counting calories-I just can't make myself do it because I hated it so much during weight loss. So instead I've set up different accountability tools-weigh myself daily and keep a chart, practice IF and have an eating window, recently started a food diary blog where I record what I eat but not calories/macros (more of a way to see what kinds of foods I'm eating), and then I've also changed over my diet to a mostly whole foods, plant based one and I keep non-whole foods to a minimum (the things that are usually higher calories because of what kind of food/ingredients they are/have). So far, so good-we'll see how I'm doing in 20 years though lol.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    bcattoe's wrote:
    "I wasn't questioning that one so much as the statement that the entire 5% that does manage to keep it off logs food diligently. I doubt very much that is true. I would think it would be those that learn to manage their diet intuitively that have the best long term success. Those that learn to do it without so much work.
    I don't know the percentages but if I could learn to eat the right amount intuitively, I would never have needed MFP. This is my second time, the first time I got in shape I thought the training wheels could come off and I could eat right on my own. I gained much of it back. I've been tracking my food daily, this time for about two years.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much go through the day and count approximate calories in my head. Earlier in my life I was able to go years without constant logging by combing those in-my-head calorie counts with weekly weights. If I bumped up a couple of pounds then I would go back to logging to force myself back into good habits and get back to goal.

The problems come up when you lose all sense of what you are eating vs. burning, start fooling yourself, don't watch your weight, and then don't jump back on things when you start to gain. I know this is the mistake I've made in the past, and the one I really have to watch out for when I reach maintenance. Maybe I'll try to log forever, but more likely I'll focus on never letting myself get out of control for long independent of logging.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    bcattoe's wrote:
    "I wasn't questioning that one so much as the statement that the entire 5% that does manage to keep it off logs food diligently. I doubt very much that is true. I would think it would be those that learn to manage their diet intuitively that have the best long term success. Those that learn to do it without so much work.
    I don't know the percentages but if I could learn to eat the right amount intuitively, I would never have needed MFP. This is my second time, the first time I got in shape I thought the training wheels could come off and I could eat right on my own. I gained much of it back. I've been tracking my food daily, this time for about two years.

Though my situation is very different, I can understand that. But that doesn't in any way mean that everyone else will have to do it.
This discussion has been closed.