Does anyone have a good headache remedy?

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Excedrin Migraine is my BEST FRIEND
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a headache routine, not really anything I take to make it go away.

First, I take a nice and long cold shower. It really really helps. There's something ridiculously soothing
    about having cold water hit my too-hot head.

Then, if that still hasn't made my headache go away, I grab a zip-lock bag, stuff it with ice, and then cover it
    in a towel and hold it onto my head. Sometimes I turn on my standing room fan to cool my head as well.

I would love it if Advil or Tylenol worked for me, I've taken them before and they really don't do anything to relieve my pain.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ibuprofen
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    coffee and ibuprofen
  • krissielynn_87
    krissielynn_87 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    sleep... lots and lots of sleep -_-
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I assume you are talking about prescription strength painkillers....which don't work for my headaches either. I get both migraines and sinus headaches. I use to ALWAYS every single period get a migraine that would last at least a day rendering me incapable of functioning. Quite frankly, I am too busy for that kinda ****.

My solution is to just not have a period. I am on BCP and at the start of the sugar pill week where I should have my period I just start a new pack. (you can read abt this but the period one has on BCP isn't a real period anyways, it is just cessation of active hormones).

I also swear by drinking tons of water and taking excedrin if I feel a migraine creeping. I also use a sinus buddy which is this eye pack that you heat up in the microwave...really feels better w either kind of headache.
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    Ice cold coke!

^^This. Caffeine is the ONLY thing that helps my headaches go away. I never drink it until I get these pain in the *kitten* migraines.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I also suffer migraines during my TOM....Excedrin and caffiene are the only thing that seems to really work. Otherwise, staying hydrated before bed and avoiding alcohol around that time seems to help as well....
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Ice cold coke!

^^This. Caffeine is the ONLY thing that helps my headaches go away. I never drink it until I get these pain in the *kitten* migraines.
    Mountain Dew. The combo of sugar and caffeine helps so much. Then I lay down in a dark quiet place with an icepack over my eyes and pass out for a couple of hours.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Submerge your feet and hands in hot/warm water and put a bag of frozen peas at the base of your skull. The heat on your extremities pulls the blood from your head relieving some/all of your headache. Also my son really enjoys when I fill the sink full of hot water, a drop of eucalyptis, and put a towel over his head to steam his face. He gets chronic migraines, and i try my best to NOT give him drugs, I burn Diamond Willow Bark while he has a hot bath with Epsom salt in it. I also will give him some form of caffeine to open his blood vessels. If he goes to bed with an ice pack, and he still has a migraine, I give him Advil.

http://visual.ly/headache-everything-you-need-know

http://www.sd81.bc.ca/rla/fnap/trees/treesdwillow.html
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Potassium!
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Potassium!

that could very well be it
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a migraine, not just a headache. Caffeine can actually cause rebound headaches and worsen your case. Everyone thinks caffeine makes migraines go away, but in the end they make them worse. The first think a neurologist will suggest is to cut caffeine out of your diet.

Things to try:

(these are preventative, you take them every day, not just when the migraine hits)

Feverfew
    Butterbur
    magnesium
    Vitamin B2

You could also ask your doctor for an abortive pill, like Immitrex or Maxalt. When they hit, a dark room and an ice pack is probably the only thing you can do to relieve it if you don't have an abortive. Hope you figure it out. I've been suffering from chronic migraines (20-15 a month) for years. It sucks. I had to resort to getting a million shots of botox all over my head and neck every three months to make them go away. :indifferent:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have a nice collection of prescription painkillers from my many trips to AnE, they normally sort me out.

It is not only a bad idea, but illegal to take Rx meds for something they weren't prescribed for. Talk to a doctor before taking pills. Learn from Heath Ledger.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I don't get headaches with TOM but just super light headed.
    I found my cure in liquid iron and massive amounts of water.
    One major cause of headaches is actually dehydration and minor dehydration is super common with TOM, wouldn't hurt to try seeing if drinking more helps.