offically reached the too skiny mark

Options

Replies

• joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I need health insurance :( I already do B&J for the win

Depending on how long this has been going on, I would say go see one at the ER if need be This is not normal, unless you are actually eating under your maintenance calories. Should determine that first before seeing a doc to save you some big bucks.

good luck
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I don't have health insurance and I still go to the doctor when it's necessary. They don't make me pay upfront.
    Without logging, you can't know. "Guesstimating" is what got a lot of us where we were to start with here on MFP.
    I will say, though, that my eldest brother got into a weight training kick and ended up having problems because he wasn't eating enough protein to handle the workouts, so his body started breaking down his muscles. I would suspect that this could be happening to you, and it means you need to put a LOT more protein into your diet.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and happily maintaining between 124- 128. I'm still logging my calories, weighing, measuring, etc because otherwise I'd overestimate calories and not eat enough. I'm still often surprised at how much I'm supposed to eat just to maintain--love those days! Early on when I started maintenance I found I had to up my daily calorie goal as I was still losing and getting too thin, so you may need to experiment with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I took that when I first joined the site so that was 23 pounds ago. I think you are all right doc might be in order it will really be expensive though if they have to run tests I might have to pick between eating or the doctor

I would log first and make sure you are eating what you think you are. If you are eating that much and still losing, I would take that log to the doctor and address it with them. You can just go see them and refuse the testing if you cannot afford it. Logging first gives both you and them information though. :)

Definitely log first...the simplest and most obvious solution is usually correct. It is highly likely that you aren't eating anywhere near the amount of food that you think you are...the only way to be sure is to meticulously log.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The whole adult human skeleton for a female weighs an average of 20 pounds. Exactly how much of a difference do you guys think "frame size" equates to? Does she have a 4 pound skeleton?

She called herself too skinny, I did not.

She asked for advice, I gave it.

She questioned my attitude, I apologized.

I was not the only one who was not sureth original post was serious and correct.

Losing weight when you are alreday underweight can be medically dangerous. Especially since she doesn't know why. I tried to help. A couple of you didn't help her, but had your fun attacking me. Enjoy :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was skinny fat all I wanted was to tighten some things up. I am lifting weights and that's going well. I am eating quite a lot about 2500 cals a day, and still I am losing weight. I am now 117 pounds and 5'7" No idea why I can't stop losing weight!

Because you're not eating enough food??
  • lizsmith1976
    Options

What a bunch of bull. My wife is 5'4 and 113lbs, and is in extrememly good shape, with plenty of muscle, and still visible fat under the skin, all while eating over 2000 calories a day.. Everyone's bodies aren't the same, and you should stop giving advice until you can figure that out.

Rude much? I did give advice. "Go to a doctor"
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    So you call somebody a liar, because of your own personal experience, and I'm the rude one? Good one.
    [/quote]

Your comments are based ONLY on your wife, right? Your wife is fine & happy? That's great. The OP is not. She said that she is too skinny and asked for help. If she is 5'7" and 117, then I believe her, that she may be too skinny and might need help.
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    uh I didn't mean to insight a blood feud lol I am not mad. I am going to log for a month and see what happens if by the end of that I am still losing I will just bite the bullet and see the doc. I feel great I feel strong and healthy. I will eat more protein add in a shake or something idk I will see what my personal trainer suggests. I am lucky we are so tight I couldn't afford him otherwise lol
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I took that when I first joined the site so that was 23 pounds ago. I think you are all right doc might be in order it will really be expensive though if they have to run tests I might have to pick between eating or the doctor

I am 5'7 and weighed 117 to 119 when I was half marathon training and just could not gain weight, no matter what I ate and I ate a ton (apparently that changed :). As I live in Canada, I went to my doc and had the thyroid tested and all my blood work done. I felt awesome though - not tired. I was strong and fast and full of energy. Once I slowed down my training I started exercising rather than training and in 6 monts was able to gain up to 125 and then another 5 in the next year (stabilizing at about 130). So, if you are training too hard, maybe sut back for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Maybe incorporate a calorie enhanced boost or something like that to easily up the cals.
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options

I am 5'7 and weighed 117 to 119 when I was half marathon training and just could not gain weight, no matter what I ate and I ate a ton (apparently that changed :). As I live in Canada, I went to my doc and had the thyroid tested and all my blood work done. I felt awesome though - not tired. I was strong and fast and full of energy. Once I slowed down my training I started exercising rather than training and in 6 monts was able to gain up to 125 and then another 5 in the next year (stabilizing at about 130). So, if you are training too hard, maybe sut back for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Maybe incorporate a calorie enhanced boost or something like that to easily up the cals.

Glad I am not alone I have been working out at the gym for an hour every other day and running as I normally would could def. be it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The whole adult human skeleton for a female weighs an average of 20 pounds. Exactly how much of a difference do you guys think "frame size" equates to? Does she have a 4 pound skeleton?

The additional weight due to having a larger frame has nothing to do with the weight of the actual bones. Larger shoulders, ribs and pelvis = larger muscles and other tissues attached to these and larger internal organs too(or smaller in all cases for a small framed person). It can add or subtract 20-30lb lean mass, without there being a corresponding increase/decrease in height. This is even before you take into account factors like someone deliberately bulking to add extra muscle mass.

Also, other factors like relative limb length can mean someone has more lean body mass for their height. Someone with a longer torso and shorter limbs will be heavier than someone of the same height and body fat percentage who has longer limbs and a shorter torso.

Humans vary a lot, and you can't predict someone's ideal weight by their height alone.
    She called herself too skinny, I did not.

You practially accused her of lying about her weight... I missed the exchange that followed, I replied to your post directly. I didn't say anything rude to you or call you out for saying she's a liar. I just provided information about human biology, which you appeared not to be aware of. And still appear not to be aware of, seeing as you are talking about the weight of the skeleton itself, which has little to do with the additional weight from having a larger frame.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

What a bunch of bull. My wife is 5'4 and 113lbs, and is in extrememly good shape, with plenty of muscle, and still visible fat under the skin, all while eating over 2000 calories a day.. Everyone's bodies aren't the same, and you should stop giving advice until you can figure that out.

Rude much? I did give advice. "Go to a doctor"
    [/quote]
    So you call somebody a liar, because of your own personal experience, and I'm the rude one? Good one.
    [/quote]

Your comments are based ONLY on your wife, right? Your wife is fine & happy? That's great. The OP is not. She said that she is too skinny and asked for help. If she is 5'7" and 117, then I believe her, that she may be too skinny and might need help.
    [/quote]

I just used my wife's stats to show that your one size fits all approach doesn't work. My problem was with you accusing the OP of lying because of how much you weighed at one point in your life, because they have nothing to do with each other.
  • lizsmith1976
    Options
    No, I understand, that's why I posted the average range for a female her height (from the NIH) was 123-163, which she is below by the way... Obviously muscle tissue, connective fiber, fluid, and skin would make up the majority of that 40 pound delta, not bone. Many people here seem to think that whole wrist circumference/ bone size thing justifies being any weight.

Once we continued our exchange I was genuinely concerned for her.

Also, the OP just mentioned that she is also running + strength training. I don't know how much, but if she is also underestimating calories then that could be the explanation without a medical issue.

She seems to be entirely sensible with a good plan of tracking for awhile and then consulting a doctor.. Hmmm, that is the advice I gave.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Your area should have a low income clinic somewhere and you can go there for little cost out of pocket.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    it says 1880 now I suppose that will work

You can do a custom set up to the 2500 or whatever it is you want.
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options
    it says 1880 now I suppose that will work

You can do a custom set up to the 2500 or whatever it is you want.

I will start with what it says and eat back my work out cals if I still lose weight I will increase that would work right?
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options

Your area should have a low income clinic somewhere and you can go there for little cost out of pocket.

I will have to look into that
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I am a little late to the party but from what I have read, it sounds like you think you are eating more than you are. Try actually logging everything you eat to see where you really are.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No, I understand, that's why I posted the average range for a female her height (from the NIH) was 123-163, which she is below by the way... Obviously muscle tissue, connective fiber, fluid, and skin would make up the majority of that 40 pound delta, not bone. Many people here seem to think that whole wrist circumference/ bone size thing justifies being any weight.

Once we continued our exchange I was genuinely concerned for her.

Also, the OP just mentioned that she is also running + strength training. I don't know how much, but if she is also underestimating calories then that could be the explanation without a medical issue.

She seems to be entirely sensible with a good plan of tracking for awhile and then consulting a doctor.. Hmmm, that is the advice I gave.

I agree re wrist circumference being not a very good way to measure frame size... but at the same time a lot of people really are not aware of how much stuff like frame size can differ.... I nearly ended up with an eating disorder in my late teens because I didn't understand that I have a large frame and that my healthy weight range (125-145lb approx based on past experience and body fat % at various weights currently and in the past) is a lot higher than the BMI average range for my height (100-132lb). I was told by several different adults that I was "almost overweight" and "should be careful" and by one Judo coach that I have to lose 10kg to fight in a weight category that I would have had to have starved off 20lb+ lean mass to make, all based on BMI. I had visible upper abs when I was told all this, so my body fat percentage would have been around 18% if that. Most people are average, but outliers exist too, and as you live in the same body your whole life, if you are an outlier, you have to deal constantly with people refusing to believe you that you're healthy at the weight range that you're healthy at, and trying to convince you to fit into a weight range that wouldn't actually be healthy for you - that goes for those with very small frames and very large frames.

I have a friend who has a tiny frame, she's actually an inch taller than me but over 40lb lighter. her doctor's fine with her weight, says she's the right weight for her height and frame size, she lifts weights and eats loads, but she's been told by other people that she's going to die, that she's mentally ill, that she's endangering her health and all sorts, based on how much she weighs and the fact she's in the underweight category on BMI. Lifting weights + eating loads + underweight BMI doesn't automatically equal something being wrong.

Anyway, I agree with your advice to the OP to see a doctor. If there's something wrong the doctor should pick up on it, if she really does have a tiny frame then the doctor should pick up on that.
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options
    I am a little late to the party but from what I have read, it sounds like you think you are eating more than you are. Try actually logging everything you eat to see where you really are.

yeah :/ ok I will log it all