Share your secrets of remaining consistent please!

Options
13»

Replies

• musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Consistancy is something to build up too. In order to "build" it ....you have to let go of the "I screwed up this time.....so when I'm ready....I'll start over." You're not starting over.

Baby steps....do 1 thing consistantly ....then add something else. When you try to do everything at once (and you screw up) .... it's too easy to throw in the towel.

Years ago I realized that I was not eating very many vegetables....a day or 2 would go by and I hadn't had a real serving of veggies (and I like veggies) ....My New Year's resolution was to eat a serving of vegetables every single day. Another resolution ....move more. You can use a pedometer, or a video it doesn't matter. I had a small exercise goal for the week....I logged minutes into a spreadsheet. After I became consistant with the small goal...I added more minutes. Make yourself accountable....if you need to put a smiley face sticker on a calendar (in a public place) for every workout....then do that.

After awhile you will fall into a rhythm.....as long as you have more good days than bad .....you are making progress. You might break your weight loss goals into smaller pieces ....my first goal is xxx and so on.

I fully agree! This is how I have been able to do it. Make small goals for yourself and over time you will notice there are changes. Now when I am confronted with food that use to give me issues I don't even want it. I have trained my mind and body to be okay without it. It's about doing the small things :) You can do it!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Remember to make it fun. Like a game. For me in the beginning it was trying a new food each week. Now I try 2-3 new recipes a week. I turn up the music while I cook and dance around a little. Make fitness a challenge. Reward yourself with non food items for reaching those challenges. Learn to not beat yourself up if one day gets out of control. It's called life and it's never perfect.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's a mindset, friend. It all starts in the noggin. You have to have a reason why you want what you want. And that reason has to be strong enough to push you past the comfort zone, the fear and the pain of sacrifice. When you make up your mind that this is what you TRULY want to do, no person or no thing will sway you. Figure out your WHY...the journey will be difficult, but worth every step. I'm in there with you.
  • pixiesgreene
    pixiesgreene Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    you have to let go of the "I screwed up this time.....so when I'm ready....I'll start over." You're not starting over.

This one is huuuuge for me. I've "started" so many times but never lost more than 5kg before getting major discouraged about "falling off the wagon" and giving up! I have to keep reminding myself that there is no wagon!

You guys are all such an inspiration. I love this forum because everyone so far is so open about their mental patterns and pitfalls that got us where we are - helps me see where I've been going wrong. So thank you!
  • Smoni2008
    Smoni2008 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I prep all my meals on Sunday after church for the week. I package them in storage containers, place in the fridge for later consumption. And I usually eat the same foods over and over each wee eating 5-6x a day. I also allow myself a planned cheat meal on Saturday. :smile:
  • vitabread
    Options
    like many have said, there is no secret! the power is within YOU! last year i had lost around 50 lbs, and just this year i started slipping up again, binge eating and put on around 25 lbs back. it felt AWFUL. i still beat myself up from time to time, "if i only would have stayed focused..." etc. but that doesn't do me any good. when i realized that i could barely fit in my newest jeans i bought (already 2 sizes larger than the ones i was wearing last year) i knew i wasn't unhappy about my size, but about how i felt about myself. i missed all the good feelings that came with my progress, the confidence especially! i now have been logging consistently since 11/12/13 (coming up on 2 weeks!) and i've already lost 5lbs. i know it's not much now, but it's instilled the motivation and excitement i was lacking. just start your journey now and take it one day at a time, each day will get better! good luck!!

check my profile out if you like, i'm very active with my logging and posts and always like new friends :o)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Prelogging! Both food and exercise! It guilts me into being consistent.
  • hchevis
    Options
    What has helped me this time is that if I slip up, I don't use that as an excuse to binge. I pick myself up and keep going. Also, I will make adjustments to my diet/exercise the day of the slip in an attempt to compensate. Good luck!:smile:
  • yornma
    yornma Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Remaining consistent.. you just do it. I have no secret. I set my alarm for 7am on my days off and just workout for 30-90 minutes. If it's a walk it's generally 90 minutes if it's raining I get 30 minutes in.

Yes it sucks getting up early (for me 7am is early) and sweating and shuffling through a mini jog or a brisk walk.. but when you're done and take that shower there's something so satisfying about it.

You did it, you shuffled, sweated, grunted through another workout and can move on with your day.

I find it so much easier to get the workout in early in the morning on my days off, forcing myself to get out of bed and go to bed early so I can get up and start all over.

Yes, there are days where I want nothing more than to sleep, but I earn my mid morning nap after the shower after the workout. without the workout there is no nap.

So I give myself the nap for the workout. That's part of my motivation.

I do pre-prep my food and snacks so it's ready for my work week.

I haven't had a cheat day as I know if I skip working out one day or snack hard core one day the progress I've made will unravel.
  • corbinanne
    corbinanne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So what are you eating? I'm looking for so ideas. I'm limited because of blood thinners...gotta stay away from a lot of greens.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan, plan.

Plan your meals, at least a day or two in advanced. I like to plan my breakfast, lunch and dinner, then I can be creative with snacks (apple, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.). It's easy when you eat the same thing every morning for breakfast like I do, that takes the brain work out of that meal. If I don't have leftovers for lunch I always have a couple freezer meals in the freezer.

AND... plan your exercise! I am fortunate enough to have access to a gym at work, so my fiancé knows I stay over to exercise everyday except for Friday's, when I exercise at lunch. If I have something to do in the evening, I will exercise at lunch, but it's all about planning to work out and actually doing it!

If you need support, feel free to add me, I'm always looking for supportive friends.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you either want it or you don't.

There's no secret to motivation or consistency, it is purely an internal thing. You either have to be ready to make the changes to change or accept your life the way it is and keep doing what you are doing.

I realized that I needed to make serious changes last year when I went to buy new jeans and had to size up....twice. Instead of buying the big jeans, I walked out of the store and immediately started analyzing my eating/activity choices.

Part of your failure may be in that you are trying to take on too many changes at once. There's nothing shameful in slow progress because it is still PROGRESS. Make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Put it up on your fridge if you have to. Set small short-term goals and try to meet all of them. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the number on the scale, but that isn't what this is all about.

This is it! Maybe your reason isn't good enough for you. For me it was a matter of health. My doctor put me on Metformin to drop my blood sugar. Screw that. I'm still on it but since I went on it in July this is what I have lost so far. For me, I hate being on medicine and thinking about the effects of not losing weight. Let's see. My grandfather died from diabetes at age 58! I have family history of heart disease on both sides. Dam I'm lucky! For me it's about living longer. Is it a sure thing? No. But health should be your reason. If you care about what you look like that good too. But looking good for me is a bonus!
  • Snith
    Snith Posts: 2 Member
    Options

There's no secret to motivation or consistency, it is purely an internal thing. You either have to be ready to make the changes to change or accept your life the way it is and keep doing what you are doing.

I realized that I needed to make serious changes last year when I went to buy new jeans and had to size up....twice. Instead of buying the big jeans, I walked out of the store and immediately started analyzing my eating/activity choices.

Part of your failure may be in that you are trying to take on too many changes at once. There's nothing shameful in slow progress because it is still PROGRESS. Make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Put it up on your fridge if you have to. Set small short-term goals and try to meet all of them. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the number on the scale, but that isn't what this is all about.

Exactly.
    If you're losing motivation after 1-2 days (like I used to), it just means that you're not ready.
    You need to decide on your realistic target and plan. And remember that it won't be easy. And ask yourself if you really want to do it. Take a break from dieting if you need to. Just relax, don't think about it (no overeating, of course).
    Start the diet when you're ready. Don't obsess about the target which is so distant - focus on today, tomorrow. And on your progress. And just keep in mind that time flies really fast. Sooner or later you'll see the finish line. Be happy about your small winnings - you'll want more of them.

If you 'fail' one day, don't give up. Don't run to your fridge just to punish yourself even more for not sticking to your perfect plan. That's the crucial moment. You need to understand that one 'fail' doesn't mean the diet is over. It just mean that you'll reach your target a couple of hours later. If you're tempted to go over your limit, remember that people die of starvation and you just have to wait a couple of hours for the next meal. That's nothing. You can do it. Eat an apple if you need to eat something.
    Keep repeating yourself that you're a winner. It sound silly, but you need that mindset.

And finally, what worked for me was the realisation that there are so many dumb chicks around with a perfect figure. I mean, if they can have it, then surely I can, too? :D

Oh, and when I'm sick of salad and veggies, I'll just have ice cream for dinner ;D
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the replies about planning ahead....plan your meals, plan strategies for dealing with stress and eating out or having company...plan, plan, plan!
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    After a while, it becomes a lifestyle. But you have to stay motivated to keep on habits, like working out. Don't let a bad day mess up all your days. Just move on and get back on the wagon.

Plan ahead and track if you're busy.

And for the love of God, stop making excuses!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The secret is that I wanted it enough to do hard things.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options

Absolutely THIS. Consistency happens when one COMMITS to a program come hell or high water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    There is no magic solution. You have to ask yourself whether you're happy with the way things are now. If not, how do you get where you want to go? Every time you start sliding back to old habits, remind yourself that you are not there yet. It takes a lot of determination but you have to want it. That's my 2 cents anyway.