60 pounds lost no pants sizes. :(

My biggest concern throughout all of my weight loss as been pants sizes. i see other people who have my pear body shape who are 150 pounds and wear a size 10...and I'm 155 pounds and i STILL wear a 16. I wore a 16-18 at almost 220 pounds. i see all these other people dropping 5 pants sizes over night and why don't I have that? It's so frustrating.
I take my measurements as well and I compare them with what i want to wear and they're a little smaller than the size of the brand but they don't fit. Like, I I'm just super discouraged since this has been going on for the past year of my weight loss.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    First, they didn't drop those pant sizes over night. It took a lot of hard work and discipline.
    Second, have you tried other brands? I find some brands are much different in sizing.
  • bicolorametrine
    bicolorametrine Posts: 4 Member
    I have a lot of different brands I have like over 20 pairs of jeans that should fit me at my measurements but they don't. And I mean, 60 pounds is a lot and the fact I haven't lost any pants sizes is ridiculous :/
  • nmpoli
    nmpoli Posts: 17 Member
    Is it possible that you were wearing stretchy pants in the size you started at? I have pants that fit me now, but just more loosely. How much different are your measurements?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, definitely don't let it discourage you. Just keep at it :smile: and you'll get there eventually!
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Last year I lost 20lbs and didn't lose a pant size. It just depends where the inches come off!
    measure your inches and you'll see!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    That doesn't make any sense to me... I lost 60 pound and went from a size 14-16 down to a 4-6.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I know we're totally different sizes so this may not be of any interest. But I wore a 22/24 in everything at 307 lb and still wore the same clothes at 262 lb. That's a difference of 45 lb. Then again, the lower my weight goes the quicker I lose pant sizes and I have some 16's right now...I still weigh 218. So I am not sure why you're not seeing a bigger change.
  • Hbarry7
    Hbarry7 Posts: 24 Member
    Genetics is my guess for why you don't have it. Sounds like your body stubbornly keeps the weight around the middle and hips.You won't drop pants sizes until that happens. Those other people's body's just shed wieght differently. It'll come off eventually as you get closer and closer as you get leaner and drop fat.

How is is your upper body doing? Are your shirts or bra's fitting better? Celebrate the successes - whatever they are :flowerforyou:

I will say, as being one of those people who drops pants sizes nearly overnight, that it SUCKS. I have to keep a pants wardrobe of size 6-12 becuase of it. Its expensive, space consuming and time consuming.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    no idea your body shape, but I had this same problem. Realize I weighed a lot more than you, but I think it is because 1. I was squeezing into a too small size at my heaviest 2. Since my stomach is so big it means pants are the last size to change on me.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    no idea your body shape, but I had this same problem. Realize I weighed a lot more than you, but I think it is because 1. I was squeezing into a too small size at my heaviest 2. Since my stomach is so big it means pants are the last size to change on me.

I agree with this. I have pants that im sure I shoukd be able to wear when in reality....they were too small in the beginning!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    My only possible guess is you had some trousers that were either mislabelled or have stretched along with you. I have lost the same amount of weight as you and have gone from a uk size 22/24 to a uk size 16/18.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    How tall are you?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Hey- I'm a major pear too!
    What kind of exercise are you doing?
    I got down to my goal weight, still was fat below the waist, changed my goal, lost more weight, still too fat down there, lost more weight, everyone tells me I am too skinny, but I still see a fat rear. So I started investigating it, found out the problem was too high % fat AKA too little muscle. This was from losing weight initially with diet only, no exercise and without enough protein in my diet. Seriously. Later I started exercising but only cardio- kept losing weight without losing the lower body fat.

What has helped me (is helping me) reproportion is weight lifting. I have been lifting for 2 years and have dropped my pants size down from initially 16 (before the diet), to 12 (diet and cardio - but I was 8 up top), now FINALLY to 8. Still working on it- though I never thought I'd get below 12!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    That's odd. Have you tried smaller clothes? Sometimes you think you haven't lost a size but you can actually fit in clothes 2 sizes smaller (it's what happened to me).

Either that or you've lost a lot of muscle. I've gone from size 20 to 8 with 65 lbs (same brand, can probably fit in 6s now too).
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    So...what happens if you put on the *same exact pants* that you wore when you were 60 lbs heavier? How do they fit?

I find it hard to believe that your measurements haven't changed after losing that much weight, but easy to believe that the sizing of jeans is incredibly inconsistent and shouldn't be taken to heart. I've got 16s that I can't get past my thighs and 12s that I'm swimming in. Just go with what fits and cut out the label if the size bothers you that much.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    I wore the same pants for a long time. I was also about to get frustrated - until I tried some old pants that I hadn't been able wear for a long time only to discover I could wear smaller pants. I hadn't really noticed how baggy my old pants had gotten until it was pointed out to me. My pants had been a little tight, so I didn't notice the difference right away nor could I move down in pant size right away.

I went from size 22 to size 18 (and one pair of size 16), but I had to lose about 30lbs before I saw that difference.

Body shape does have a lot to do with it. I have a big rear, and I alway have had it even when I was fairly tiny in waist. When I was thin, I just had big hip bones jutting out. Even at 120lbs, I wore size 8-10. I'm right at 200 right now, and I'm still in 18.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Totally agree with Kathleennf wrote. I too, feel your pain OP :( It is so frustrating, but what kathleennf wrote makes sense to me. Thanks OP for this post. You are not alone and now I see that I am not alone either. I do plan on doing weight training at some point in this journey. Haven't decided when yet, but I feel it will really help change my body shape. I wanted to see the scale go down first though.
  • bicolorametrine
    Aah i thought I added everything. I am short but like i said I've seen people my exactly height (5'1) and my exact weight (156) and my exact body shape (pear) wearing a size 10...:/

I focus on my legs for work outs because I want them to shrink so i can fit into pants that aren't huge and my pants don't stretch or anything. I have have pants the next size down that are 10x's too tight on me. Basically once I measured my hips and I found out i've lost like 20 and my hips are still the same size I was so angry aah. So i do inner and outer thigh work and i use an elliptical. I have major problems with my back so i can't do a lot of stuff.
  • bicolorametrine
    So...what happens if you put on the *same exact pants* that you wore when you were 60 lbs heavier? How do they fit?

I find it hard to believe that your measurements haven't changed after losing that much weight, but easy to believe that the sizing of jeans is incredibly inconsistent and shouldn't be taken to heart. I've got 16s that I can't get past my thighs and 12s that I'm swimming in. Just go with what fits and cut out the label if the size bothers you that much.

I don't have them anymore I gave them to my mom. My measurements have changed but I'm still wearing the same jeans size and I've tried on 15 juniors and they're extremely tight on me. I mean I even have 16s that fit me when I was younger and heavier and they're too tight still.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Keep going! It will come off and you will get in those size 10s! :smile: It's just the way YOUR body stores and loses the fat... it's pretty common to have one 'trouble spot' that is the last to lose. You've done great btw - 60lb is fab.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    What are you exact measurements?

I am 5'3, 157 pounds, my hips are 36-38 depending on the time of year, I wear a 10 in most brands. A 15 in juniors is basically the same as a 10/12 in regular women's sizes.

ETA: Maybe you were really wear the wrong size before your loss?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Let me make you feel better. I have lost 70 pounds, and I'm just under 200 pounds and wearing a size 20.

ETA:

NO ONE at my height and weight wears a bigger sized pants than me.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Aah i thought I added everything. I am short but like i said I've seen people my exactly height (5'1) and my exact weight (156) and my exact body shape (pear) wearing a size 10...:/

I focus on my legs for work outs because I want them to shrink so i can fit into pants that aren't huge and my pants don't stretch or anything. I have have pants the next size down that are 10x's too tight on me. Basically once I measured my hips and I found out i've lost like 20 and my hips are still the same size I was so angry aah. So i do inner and outer thigh work and i use an elliptical. I have major problems with my back so i can't do a lot of stuff.

count yourself lucky i'm 12lbs lighter, 2" shorter and i'm just now squeezing into a 10. oh did i mention i'm pear shaped. i'm a shorty short girl with a big ole butt.
  • I feel your pain. I lost 113 pounds and only 2 or 3 sizes, depending on the brand. I carry most of my weight in my belly, and it's the last to lose anything, so while pants are big around my legs, I haven't lost much in my waist.

Stay strong though, it'll come off eventually!
  • cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    I'm in a semi-similar situation. I wore size 17 pants which fit comfortably at a weight of 185. I'm now 161 in pants size 15. The waists of the pants are too big but I can't drop a size because my thighs are too big!! Soooo frustrating. I lose all my weight in the waist first. In high school I weighed 140 and wore a size 11 so that's my goal. My thighs just refuse to shrink. Same story with my love handles/hips. Ugh. I've started doing the C25k program on the treadmill but still no shrinkage on the thighs or hips. Just have to keep on keepin' on. My motivation is a cruise I'm going on in April and 2 dresses I want to buy for it. I keep pictures of the dresses to look at when I need motivation. I also set up rewards for myself every 5 pounds or so. @159 I get to buy those boots I've wanted for years, @ 154 that necklace and earring set, @149 those two dresses I want! etc.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    We pears have a tough row to hoe. I might suggest following the advice to focus on strength and resistance training to trim up your hips and thighs, in addition to cardio to burn fat. Something like pilates (or the FIRM has a dvd called Sculptilates which is a combo of Yoga and Pilates with a resistance band. My hips, belly, behind and thighs are the last to shrink. How about shirts? I'm a Med- large in shirts but have wide hips and big thighs. I could wear a size 10 pant were it not for my thighs and belly.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    So I started investigating it, found out the problem was too high % fat AKA too little muscle. This was from losing weight initially with diet only, no exercise and without enough protein in my diet. Seriously. Later I started exercising but only cardio- kept losing weight without losing the lower body fat.

What has helped me (is helping me) reproportion is weight lifting. I have been lifting for 2 years and have dropped my pants size down from initially 16 (before the diet), to 12 (diet and cardio - but I was 8 up top), now FINALLY to 8. Still working on it- though I never thought I'd get below 12!

First, ^^^^ this.

Second, stop comparing yourself to other people. You'll always fall short.

Third, put on a pair of pants that you wore 60 pounds heavier and compare. They will either be falling off of your or fit because they were painted on before.

Fourth, congrats on 60# lost!!! Woo Hoo!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    I focus on my legs for work outs because I want them to shrink so i can fit into pants that aren't huge and my pants don't stretch or anything. So i do inner and outer thigh work and i use an elliptical. I have major problems with my back so i can't do a lot of stuff.

Not sure that this will help you shrink your legs. If you are doing weights and focusing on your legs the muscles will get bigger, not necessarily making your legs smaller. Your best bet is to work on your upper body with weights to balance out your shape. More muscle will help you burn more calories, but you don't necessarily want that extra muscle in your legs!

I also agree with one of the previous posters about adding cardio to burn more fat. :smile:

Good luck!
  • Kennedyjules84
    Kennedyjules84 Posts: 4 Member
    Three things to be glad about:

1. Being pear-shaped is actually not a bad thing, because carrying excess weight in your hips/thighs leads to far fewer health problems than carrying it around your middle near your vital organs. Obviously it's best not to carry around excess fat anywhere, but this is something I've read over and over, and as a big-butt person myself, it makes me feel better.

2. You say you've been focusing on leg exercises to make your legs leaner, but due to those exercises, you are probably replacing some of the fat with muscle. Your legs aren't necessarily slimming down yet because they're too busy getting stronger.

3. I guarantee you look 100x better in those pants now than you did before.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    What type of workouts do you do? Are you doing any strength training? If not, definitely add it in. You'll firm up faster and see some great results!

Also, everyone here starts at a different place. Some people have more than 100 lbs. to lose and some have quite a bit less. If you started out with a lot of lose, then it might take a little while to see a change. However, once you drop a size, you might find you drop another rather quickly. I'm short and five pounds can make the difference in whether I go up or down a size. That's just me. But if when I weighed 70 pounds more, it took a lot more than five pounds to drop a size. Does that make sense?

Please don't give up. I have a feeling you'll see a change very soon!:flowerforyou:
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    You definitely aren't alone! I've been so frustrated with mine as well. I've lost 30 pounds total, and not a single pant size. Even when I was a hundred pounds dripping wet, I had "womanly" hips and thighs. I carry all my weight around my hips. I'm a shorty too, 5'3".

It can be really disheartening, but just keep your measurements for all over your body. Take every inch lost from wherever as a success. But the biggest thing? Just stop worrying about the number on the tag. I taught myself to ignore it, and now I just concentrate on what fits and what looks right and don't even bother with the number. I even go up sizes when I want things to drape a certain way, and I don't feel a bit of remorse!

I'm doing T25 and weightlifting now, so I have my fingers crossed I'll see some slimming! :-) Good luck to you, and just don't get disheartened!