salad ideas for a non - salad eater?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how do salads help you lose weight?

Just eat the foods you want/like, and stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight...
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think my salads have very little lettuce and usually a crunchy romaine that doesn't stick to the roof f my mouth cause things that are thin and wet I have found out through numerous endoscopes and colonoscopies due to reflux and diverticulosis, can also stick just as easily to your intestines and cause bad gas pains and cramps...! So my salads have chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, fruit, almonds, cranberries, quinoa, beans, olives, cheese, apple crisps, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, celery, and good light dressing, not completely fat free. And they can be as much as 600 calories, but they're good and very filling as my main meal for the day. :happy:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Greek-style pasta salad: small pasta like mini penne, crumbled feta, grated parmesan, extra virgin olive oil, cracked green olives, almonds, minced garlic, oregano.

Couscous and garbanzo salad, served on a a bed of romaine or leaf lettuce, with cremini (baby portabella) or white mushrooms, tomatoes if in season; dress with olive oil (you might want to use so-called "light tasting" olive oil, or cut it with vegetable oil), lemon juice, fresh parsely, sugar, salt, pepper (white if you have it).

If you really want to add lettuce and other greens to your meals, but the texture bothers you, you could try crisper options like romaine, shredded cabbage (including savoy and napa), and bok choy. Or you could cook your lettuce and greens. Endive can be braised in the oven, and escarole, spinach, kale, and turnip and other greens take well to being cooked in soups (clear broth soups, not bisques). Spinach and greens can be sauteed or stir-fried and added to pasta dishes, omelets, served over top of beans, potatoes, or just plain as a side dish.