Tuna...yay or nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of canned fish but when it comes to the category I've always preferred salmon to tuna. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same mercury issues as canned tuna does either. At least not nearly as bad.

The taste actually very slightly resembles the fish it was made from too, more so than canned tuna at least. :)
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Super good! I'm picky about line-caught and I only eat it once a week on average, but tasty yum! I like it in sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes, patties, etc.
  • golden_sunshine14
    Options
    Yay!

I love tuna! I find it to be very versatile. I usually make some tuna patties (canned tuna in water, egg white, lemon juice, pepper and a little breadcrumbs). Fry it up in a little bit of olive oil and voila! Only 150 calories each with plenty of protein. They also have those flavored tuna cans which are excellent with whole wheat crackers. Just make sure to check the sodium content. That, or you can make your own flavored tuna with lemon juice and pepper instead of adding mayo. You can also make a healthy whole wheat tuna casserole which is delish! And like the others have said, you really don't have to worry about the mercury if you're only eating it a few times/week. =)
  • gaevren
    Options
    I have read that the mercury content of tuna is not really a concern because tuna is also abundant in selenium, which bonds to mercury and makes it pretty much harmless to us. The mercury in fish is more of a concern when the mercury level is higher than the selenium level (mako sharks are one example).

So nom away, imo! Tuna is delish.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Can/Pouch? F no.

Sushi Bar? Yes please.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    mixed with half of an avocado & salt, DELISH

I have to try that! I usually mix mine with fat free greek yogurt and a little mayo and celery. Yay to tuna!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I love tuna! I just don't eat it often, because my husband won't eat any seafood at all!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Definitely a YAY:drinker: Thanks for the reminder I meant to stop at Trader Joe's for their no sodium White Albacore tuna (in water)... best stuff Evaaaaaar!

I'll hit up TJ's after my workout tomorrow... it's little over $1 and the taste, to me anyway is far better than Starkist etc. Plus the no sodium is great since so many canned foods go crazy on the sodium!

I say enjoy.... it's a wonderful protein:love:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Love tuna in can and steak!!! :love:
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Yay , the pros outweigh the cons especially since you would need to eat so much of it to consider the mercury problem.
  • lavender1742
    lavender1742 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat it mixed in a big tossed or chopped salad with fat free Italian dressing or with spinach in a whole wheat pita pocket. Definitely YAY also try the salmon in the pouches for a little variation
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eh - I eat every once in a while..it s not really a staple of my diet though...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    So glad to be getting all these idea on things to do with it :) I like it in an Asian style shredded cabbage salad with a little sesame ginger dressing and slivered almonds. Glad to hear it might not be as bad for me as I have read (so much fear mongering on the internets!!) I don't eat it every day, but would like to make it more often than once a week as it is so easy!
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    The only tuna I eat is the kind from Subway on a 6" wheat sub with lots and lots of veggies... YUMMMM!!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    yay, it will do
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love tuna sandwiches!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    yay, love tuna, but i'm preggo so i have to limit my consumption to once a week :cry: