Would you work with your SO?

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
The wonderful company I work for has just offered me a job opportunity for my SO. He has expressed interest in the past about working for us. This could open up a whole new career for him.

My big question is, do you think this is just a horrendous idea? We would rarely see each other very much as he would be in the field and I am in the office. Unfortunately, it is my position sometimes to crack the whip on my guys and make sure they are doing what they're supposed to be doing. I need to talk to him soon because the certification program starts in December. It just so happens that we are also about to move in together.

I'm looking more for experiences of couples who have worked together and less of relationship advice. We are solid but I want it to stay that way.

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I met at work...I rarely saw him..but then it was nice when I did. I don't think its a bad idea as long as you both go into this knowing that you may have to crack the whip on him a few times
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would never do it.

If you won't interact at work every day, it may just work for you though :smile:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    That is my thinking. I just have high hopes because we have two other couples here.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This is a bad idea on all levels. If something goes wrong, it's a total mess for everyone.

I second this!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Would I? Never.

But, that's just me.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    In my fantasy world, I am eventually married to a hottie that lifts and we own a gym togther where we work and lift together. So, I guess I WOULD work with a SO. However, I can see where being a superior to a SO at work could really mess things up both personally and professionally.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think you would both have to come into it with a good understanding of your roles and boundaries. If you both had a firm grasp on those I don't see a problem as long as you're both not overly sensitive. I don't think it's a good idea for most couples though.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I worked at the same company as my SO for 5 years, but we were in different departments and rarely interacted, and neither had any "say" over the other. There were no problems. However, if one of us was the supervisor of the other, I don't think that would have been a good situation at all. Not only because of altered relationship dynamics, but also the danger of perceived favoritism by coworkers.

You mention having to "crack the whip on my guys"...does that mean you would be his boss? Is there a chance that he would be able to gain the experience he needs and then go elsewhere? I mean, he deserves to know about the offer regardless rather than find out after the fact that you made the decision for him, but you definitely need to talk about how it would feel to be the whip cracker and crackee and whether that would cause resentment that would spill over into the home life.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    Financially, I would not put all my eggs in one basket.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    At my job, it is against company policy for someone to supervise a family member/spouse/so.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I could.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't. I used to work with him when I was in the military, but we were shift workers where two people were required to be on shift 24/7. We were never paired together for obvious reasons, but it was for the best. With him being a higher rank than me, it would not have been a good idea.

Edit to add: One time we WERE on shift together by accident (he traded shifts with someone to help a friend out), and it did not go well. He said something that hurt my feelings, and then we had to go home together. Who do you complain to now about having a bad day at work? You just have to sit on it to not make a fight break out.

That was just one time though, and I am glad to say that we are happily married now with a bambino. Keep work and home separate when it comes to you and your significant other. :-D
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    are you kidding me? I'm having trouble living with her much less working with her.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I did but wouldn't recommend it. I met my wife at my former job. I worked there for 3 months while dating. We both say now it is good we don't work together. That break during the day makes the evenings something to look forward to
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Been there done that TWICE (same husband) :)

First time I worked for him....worked fine because I followed him to a remote location and it was great to be getting paid. :)

Second time, he joined the company I worked for. He didn't directly report to me but did have some deliveralble to me. It didn't work out too badly. We just made a rule that we could only talk about work at home for 15 mintues. Otherwise we found ourselves talking about work ALL the time!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I work in the same company with my husband and have for two years. It's been fine, though we work in different offices at the moment, when we move buildings we'll be in the same room. I like it because we can go for lunch together or walk home together, gossip about people at work.

It's funny though because for the first 5 years of our relationship we were 6,000 miles apart, and now we're rarely more than 20 feet from each other.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 I dated a co-worker at McDonalds....

But really, that's a really hard one. I think I'd steer clear unless he really needs it, or it's much better than what he has.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My stepmom started working for my dad before they got married, and they're still working together. They've been doing it for 30 yrs. Sometimes I wonder how my dad can spend that much time with her, but I guess he must really love her. :smile: