Has anybody ever received treatment from.......

Options
nomeejerome
nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
a Chiropractor? If so, what are some of your experiences? Did you see any improvement?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    no i have not. have a great thread.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes. Didn't work for me. But it might work for you. What's good for the goose... or something.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My third wife was a Chiropractor. It was great for me. I worked as a Massage Therapist for her and she referred my 4th wife to me.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. My spine had an "s" curve, and a slight twist. Now it's strait, and not twisted. Takes a little time to get used to the neck adjustments, but once you do, a good neck cracking feels amazing.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My third wife was a Chiropractor. It was great for me. I worked as a Massage Therapist for her and she referred my 4th wife to me.

oh+thank+you+thats+an+awesome+gif+i+used+it+_4429653af2dae5992632dea81e673f43.jpg
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

LoLz.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A lady friend of mine had a chiropractor break a bulging disc off in her back. The broken piece fell on her nerve bed and caused a ton of nerve damage. Ended up needing back surgery. Just a warning. This in no way is to say that this will happen to everyone.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    While I haven't seen a chiropractor, I have seen an osteopath.

There are some subtle differences between the professions. http://www.osteopathy.com.sg/chiropractors.php

I found it beneficial in helping get over a longstanding problem with my hip, in combination with physio exercises done by me at home.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

OMG... I would hate my life :|

But, to answer OP... yes, I have- started going after I was rear ended and went for abt a year. It was always helpful. Got a bit wierd towards the end because she was pregnant and I was kinda like... uhhh... should u be pressing down on me with your belly to do that...

(to have that make sense- they twist and turn you and use their own body weight to get the cracks sometimes)
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am currently seeing a chiropractor for a recent "flare-up" involving my sciatic nerve (I've seen the same one for other issues). Last week, I was in so much pain I couldn't walk, sit, stand. I was miserable. I saw him four times last week and wasn't getting much relief. He had been asking me where exactly my pain was resonating from, and I couldn't explain it exactly. On Monday, he hit "the spot," and I nearly jumped through the roof, but doing so revealed that my pain is stemming from my SI joint. Ever since, I have been feeling GREAT. I even did some light lifting and a 5-minute slow jog today. Hard to believe considering I was starting to feel hopeless this past Monday morning.

I will say that not all chiropractors are created equal, and I don't necessarily believe that chiropractors FIX you. I believe that they can help get things back where they belong and relieve pain, but it requires monthly maintenance visits to keep you like that. Also, if you aren't getting relief after a typical treatment period (for my chirpractor, that's 8-12 visits), then you should make sure he refers you for an MRI and a neurologist, or go see a more traditional doctor about taking a different route, maybe with physical therapy.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    My guess would be it depends on what you need the chiropractor to work on. I was having lower back pain and I did not feel like the chiropractor helped. I just could not afford to keep going back 3 times a week. I think that is how they make their money.
  • odusgolp
    Options

OMG... I would hate my life :|

Not me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I go regularly! Would not want to be without one.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Love my chiropractor! And I agree--just like every other professional field--there are good and bad practitioners out there! I interviewed a lot prior to choosing my current Dr. A few of the things upon which I insist---I did not want a person who
    1) Only uses x-ray as a diagnostic--I want someone who knows kinesiology--and relies upon restricted movement to help diagnose soft tissue injuries/issues.
    2) Someone who insists on 3 visits/week to "maintain".....which is nonsense ( this type of Chiropractor is trained in "life" chiropractics).
    3) Someone who overcharges my insurance company for a visit ( I had one office charge $100+for a 5 minute water massage)--or wants to charge me for an appt that we "discuss" my treatment plan every 6 months.

This is my humble opinion. I have had good and bad experiences with chiropractors. I haven't been injured by one, but have had my quality of life improved tremendously through pregnancies, car accidents, slip and falls....you name it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Like anything, there are good ones and bad ones. My chiropractor now is one of the good ones. I don't see him much anymore as I've found proper diet and fitness to cure a lot of what was ailing me, but I used to see him about once per month just for some general maintenance of some chronic back issues I've had. I initially started going to him when my regular doctor started talking about surgery and what not for a slipped disk...I was in pretty bad shape for about 3-4 months with that thing and nothing was working. Four visits to my chiropractor in two weeks cleared everything up and I was right as rain.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. :flowerforyou: I wanted to hear about other experiences because I did not know what is normal procedure in that field.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I only know one -Alan Harper and he is awesome!:drinker:
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am a physical therapist and i am on my way to become an OMT therapist because it works very well and it advocates an holistic approach to musculoskeletal problems. BUT (there is always a but) there are not many manipulators-chiros that are really good and you need to get a lot of bodies under your belt to be able to give good results to your patients. Also, patient compliance with that kind of therapy is really important
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Love mine! I was one of those people who swore they would never go to a chiro until about 10 years ago. Since I was in high school I'd been having pain in my wrist, then my elbow, then my shoulder, every doc I went to assumed the problem was localized to that area and treated the symptoms, and it worked until 10 years ago I was in so much pain I couldn't turn my head to the right at all (I was feeling the pain in my neck and shoulder) I spent three months going back and forth between my insurance company and my doc's office trying to get the MRI the doc wanted on my shoulder. Two weeks before I was supposed to go to Vegas with my sister and friends to celebrate her 10 year survivor/cured date, I was ready to cancel my trip, I went to a chiro out of desperation. She looked at my neck/spine and said she didn't even need x-rays to tell me what was wrong, she poked a spot at the base of my neck slightly to the right and said "Feel that bump there?" I said yes, she said "That's one of your discs, it's not supposed to be there and sticking out that far, it's supposed to be over here." Got four adjustments in the week before my trip (it was only supposed to be three, but after the second one I popped the disc out with one sneeze and was in agony so went in to get it put back in), by the second day of the trip I was feeling much better and was able to enjoy my trip.
    I've been going to her once a month ever since and it's well worth it, I can feel the difference and have had very few incidents when it goes out bad (I can actually get it to go back in on my own every once in a while with just a few stretches.) I have to agree with what the others have said: Not all chiros are the same, some are good, some aren't. Once you find a good one, stick with them, they learn to read your body and can adjust you better than having a different person each time (my chiro is in a two person office, I would go to her partner if I was in a bind, but otherwise, I'm sticking with her, he doesn't know my spine like she does and could adjust me the wrong way). Maintenance is not every week or a couple times a week, that's treatment, maintenance is more long term (I can actually go about 5-6 weeks without an adjustment if I need to, but I'm so scatterbrained, I just have a set appointment for the first Saturday of the month, it's easier for me to remember when my apppointment is that way) and once you're a regular, they will often times work with you about payments- with the various insurances I've had, there have been some that don't want to pay for my appointments because they think the problem is due to a car accident (I guess the disc that's out is in a common location for that) so even though they have been told multiple times that it's not they still give her a hassel about it so because my copay is $40, and I got tired of dealing with the insurance, we came to an agreement I pay their uninsured rate $45 and she doesn't charge me for the tens unit treatment that I get after my adjustment.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Love mine! I was one of those people who swore they would never go to a chiro until about 10 years ago. Since I was in high school I'd been having pain in my wrist, then my elbow, then my shoulder, every doc I went to assumed the problem was localized to that area and treated the symptoms, and it worked until 10 years ago I was in so much pain I couldn't turn my head to the right at all (I was feeling the pain in my neck and shoulder) I spent three months going back and forth between my insurance company and my doc's office trying to get the MRI the doc wanted on my shoulder. Two weeks before I was supposed to go to Vegas with my sister and friends to celebrate her 10 year survivor/cured date, I was ready to cancel my trip, I went to a chiro out of desperation. She looked at my neck/spine and said she didn't even need x-rays to tell me what was wrong, she poked a spot at the base of my neck slightly to the right and said "Feel that bump there?" I said yes, she said "That's one of your discs, it's not supposed to be there and sticking out that far, it's supposed to be over here." Got four adjustments in the week before my trip (it was only supposed to be three, but after the second one I popped the disc out with one sneeze and was in agony so went in to get it put back in), by the second day of the trip I was feeling much better and was able to enjoy my trip.
    I've been going to her once a month ever since and it's well worth it, I can feel the difference and have had very few incidents when it goes out bad (I can actually get it to go back in on my own every once in a while with just a few stretches.) I have to agree with what the others have said: Not all chiros are the same, some are good, some aren't. Once you find a good one, stick with them, they learn to read your body and can adjust you better than having a different person each time (my chiro is in a two person office, I would go to her partner if I was in a bind, but otherwise, I'm sticking with her, he doesn't know my spine like she does and could adjust me the wrong way). Maintenance is not every week or a couple times a week, that's treatment, maintenance is more long term (I can actually go about 5-6 weeks without an adjustment if I need to, but I'm so scatterbrained, I just have a set appointment for the first Saturday of the month, it's easier for me to remember when my apppointment is that way) and once you're a regular, they will often times work with you about payments- with the various insurances I've had, there have been some that don't want to pay for my appointments because they think the problem is due to a car accident (I guess the disc that's out is in a common location for that) so even though they have been told multiple times that it's not they still give her a hassel about it so because my copay is $40, and I got tired of dealing with the insurance, we came to an agreement I pay their uninsured rate $45 and she doesn't charge me for the tens unit treatment that I get after my adjustment.

See?Holistic approach and compliance, the body is a whole, not parts sewn together!