How do YOU see yourself?

Options

Replies

• chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates.. I was 200 lbs, then lost it...gained it all back, lost some, gained some, etc. I still see myself as 200 pounds no matter what I weigh. I'm 170 now and really have no choice but to get fit....
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    This is VERY common (obviously). I remember watching an episode of "My 600 lb life" and the girl said that when she got on the scale and it said 375 she was in total denial and said "well that's not too bad, I still look good."

I DO think seeing yourself in a positive way is wonderful - without being in denial about it. If you see yourself 60 lbs. lighter then maybe you will behave like you are 60 lbs. lighter, know what I mean? I don't mean that snarkily at all so i hope it doesn't come across that way - I mean that we behave how we think since our thoughts motivate our actions :tongue:

Also -- this happens as we age too! My grandma (who is 82) told me she looks in the mirror and wonders who that old lady is looking back at her because she still sees herself as she did when she was young.:smile:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I/m the same... when I see pics of myself that other people take I don't even know that girl in those pictures. I think that could not possibly be me. When I look in the mirror I see someone overweight but not as overweight as the scale or pictures have me looking. Then i see myself in a full length mirror at a department store and want to cry. :sad:
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It actually feels as if my stomach is getting bigger as I lose- I know it's because I'm losing from everywhere else and it's all just getting smaller and making my stomach look like its bigger than it was, but it still feels awkward. Like I'm actually gaining and the scale is lying to me in the opposite direction.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what I'm wearing. Certain shirts or pairs of jeans make me feel fat; others make me feel thin and great. Dresses usually make me feel fat, however, which is why I typicallly refrain from wearing them. I still don't like pictures of myself..... but it is getting better. I was just looking last night at some pictures taken of me at my highest weight (30 lbs. heavier) and I can see such a difference in my face alone.

When I look in the mirror, I generally like what I see, but I know that I still have more work to do.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think its opposite for me. I think Im bigger than I am or I think Im as big as I used to be and then someone takes a picture of me and Im slimmer and healthier than I see myself in the mirror.

Its also weird that I can look at my size 9s in my hand and think they are tiny and Im shocked that I fit into them with room still, and then I put them on, look in the mirror and I see the jeans as a size 16 or something.

I think my mindset is still stuck in the habit of hating myself, and being my worst bully.

But for YOU if it is the fact that you see yourself smaller than you are than there has to be something positive behind that. Like high self esteem. And girl..if you've got that keep it and work it. I wish I had it. You're gorgeous and you'll be amazing once you reach your goals! A number on a scale is deceiving sometimes I suppose. Keep your mindset the way it is! :)
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When I was fat I thought I was little curvy, but I still thought I was hot.

After losing 60 pounds I see a fat person in the mirror.

I hate my brain.

Same!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

I hate my brain.

When I was fat, I thought I was fat.

After losing 64 lbs, I still see a fat person in the mirror.

:cry:
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    When I met my husband 16 years and 100 pounds ago, I thought I was as fat then as I am now. I had no self confidence. So as I gained weight it was hard for me to tell because I could not actually see a change until I compared pictures. I say all the time I wish I could be as "fat" as I was then. Truthfully I was gorgeous! My husband used to tell me I had a "Pent house" body. Of coarse at the time I thought he was crazy but now looking back ugh oh well I can only change now. Can't go back and rewrite history! Best of luck on ur journey :)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I hate my brain.

^^^This! I only lost 30 pounds, but I'm short so a little goes a long way. I didn't like the weight that I was at when I started losing, but I didn't think I was fat, just "curvy" (even though I hate the crap out of that term). Now that I've lost the 30 pounds and can fit into a size 0-2, I can see how much bigger I used to be and I know that I'm small now, but I still have moments where I look at myself and feel like I could still look better.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    I think its opposite for me. I think Im bigger than I am or I think Im as big as I used to be and then someone takes a picture of me and Im slimmer and healthier than I see myself in the mirror.

Its also weird that I can look at my size 9s in my hand and think they are tiny and Im shocked that I fit into them with room still, and then I put them on, look in the mirror and I see the jeans as a size 16 or something.

I think my mindset is still stuck in the habit of hating myself, and being my worst bully.

But for YOU if it is the fact that you see yourself smaller than you are than there has to be something positive behind that. Like high self esteem. And girl..if you've got that keep it and work it. I wish I had it. You're gorgeous and you'll be amazing once you reach your goals! A number on a scale is deceiving sometimes I suppose. Keep your mindset the way it is! :)

Go to the dollar store buy some black eye liner (stay with me here I have a point) and write positive affirmations on ur mirrors. (Yes all of them). You are gorgeous and worthy of all of ur hard work! I would love to see a size 9 again!! I am stuck at 20 for now. But I will be there by summer 2014. Best of luck.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Mirrors.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Go to the dollar store buy some black eye liner (stay with me here I have a point) and write positive affirmations on ur mirrors. (Yes all of them). You are gorgeous and worthy of all of ur hard work! I would love to see a size 9 again!! I am stuck at 20 for now. But I will be there by summer 2014. Best of luck.

I might actually do that. (Or use little sticky notes instead. Sort of a clean freak.) haha! Thank you! I started at a size 12-14 so I think my mind is still stuck at that size. I wish I could see myself the way others see me, because I do get nice compliments from people quite often, and even though it should boost my self esteem the compliments don't really compliment me when I still don't like myself. I really appreciate your kind words though! You'll get there! :) Do the same and write yourself some lovely compliments and remind yourself of how pretty, and proud of yourself you are! I wish you the best of luck! :) Have a great day, girl!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    funny you ask and I am glad I am not the only one. I have always been a little dyslexic and i guess I could say I am a dyslexic anorexic. People with anorexia nervosa see themselves as fat no matter how thin they get. I am the opposite, I see myself as thin and its when I go to try on clothes that the reality hits. I think heck yeah i can rock these size 10s. then in the dressing room I cry and end up needing a 14 or higher. I have days when i look in the mirror and feel really fat but then i have days when I think i look hot; sadly today is i feel like a fat loser day. :sad:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I hate to look in the mirror & to see myself in pictures. My daughter-in-law took a pic of me a couple days ago with her baby and she said "Let's take another one, you both look like you're faking it". lol I guess cuz the baby is chubby too! Stay with me & we will work hard together to get strong & healthy = skinny! :flowerforyou:
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to work out is turn on some booty shaking music and pretend I am in a club and dance my butt off. No one is around, and I feel like I have got some moves! But then my husband wants me to dance in front of him (not stripper dancing lol) and I am suddenly VERY aware of how I look and I can't do more than wiggle my butt for 5 seconds before getting embarrassed and wanting to crawl in to a hole.

Point being, when I am just existing in my own little world, I know I am overweight. But when I know someone else is looking at me, not just glancing in passing by but I'm actually the focus of attention, I get humiliated because i realize what they see. And that is why I am here!
  • jesstyler15
    Options
    I hate the way I look in the mirror and in pictures. I have a lot of smaller friends and when we take group pictures I tend to stand out. And the more I try to do something about it the more I feel pressure and stress...which I know doesn't help the problem. I'm hoping joining this site will help keep me accountable.

Just 15 lbs smaller and I felt good about myself. My goal is 30 lbs so hopefully I can make that happen.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I'm going about my business I feel normal. Not particularly heavy or overweight or anything. When I look in the mirror, or at a pic of myself, I think, "wow, I'm fat! But I guess maybe I don't look as fat as I am:frown: ". Then I go to the store (where I hate trying on clothes, so I don't) and I come home with clothes that are 2 sizes to big. It's really confusing to me. I *feel* like a size 6/8, I *think I look* like a size 14/16, but I *think I am* a size 18. In reality I'm a 10/12, lol. So I guess It's not really weird at all! I totally thought I was the only one. I'm just waiting for my brain to catch up with my body and my body to catch up with how I feel. Hopefully soon!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options

I hate my brain.

This. Times 1000. Until I'd seen some truly less than flattering pics, I never realized I was actually as large as I had gotten. Now that I'm down ~50, I still only see that heavy, lazy guy sitting on the couch inhaling a tin or three of Pringles.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Every day is different....Some days I think I don't look as heavy as I am and other days I feel huge! I just try to stay positive and now that I am finally making progress I feel even better about myself because the hard work is paying off!
This discussion has been closed.