Is it too late?

Options

Replies

• GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Baby steps!!!

Everyone has to start somewhere and you're NEVER too late to start!

1st Month - Cut out Soda's and drink water. Water ONLY

2nd Month- Cut out any fast food and teach yourself healthy food shopping habits.

3rd Month- Start walking. Even if its just 300ft... WALK... Walk as far as you can then realize that if you want to eat you're going to have to walk back!! Gradually increase your distance.

Take it slowly! Your weight will LITERALLY melt away!!

I started out at nearly 300 lbs. I was losing nearly 20lbs a month for the first 2 months then slowed down but has never stopped!

You can do it!!!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone else is saying. Also, when I started on my journey to health, my doc told me to shoot for 10% weightloss at a time. As I met that goal, then I'd set the next 10% goal. This makes it much easier to breakdown your goals and to reward yourself (not with food!) when you attain them.

At 550 pounds, your first goal would be to lose 55 lbs, then 50 llbs, then 45 lbs and so on.

You can do this, but only if you really WANT to. Get rid of all excuses (I'm too big, I can't move, I like the foods I'm eating...), own your choices, and get yourself healthy. Just imagine, by this time next year you could be down 100+ pounds. That's freakin' awesome!!!

Good luck!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Step One: LOG EVERYTHING

When you start logging what you eat, you will quickly see places where you can easily cut back. When you log everything, you will start to see little victories.

Have 6 ounces instead of 8 ounces.
    Eat 2 slices instead of 3 slices.
    Drink 3 cans instead of 4.

Step Two: WATCH YOUR MACRONUTRIENTS

Pay attention to your fats, proteins and carbohdrates. Pay attention to your total calories. Pay attention to your sugar and your fiber. MFP will give you reasonable targets, and you can see how close you are. If you are getting too much of something and not enough of something else, look back at your log and see what you can trade: a little less of this, a little more of that, and your macros will line up.

Step Three: WALK

Even if you just walk to the car and back, walk one flight of stairs, walk to the corner and back, walk around the outside of the house, walk anywhere. Just walk somewhere. Every step counts.

After a couple of weeks, walk just a little father. Walk to the car and back twice. Walk to the corner, and then to the next corner. You don't need to jog for an hour. You just need to walk a little bit. Then a little bit more.

In a couple of years, we will all be posting URLs here that tell YOUR success story. Just imagine that. In a few years, you will be an inspiration to someone else in the same boat. You'll be the beacon of inspiration that says if you did it, then someone else can do it too.

You made a great start: You came to MFP and you posted your situation.

Take the next step. Literally. Take the next step. (Stop reading and take the next step!)

All of this! The only thing I would add is that you need to also talk to a physician. Morbidly obese wrecks havoc on your health and while you can make changes in your diet, you need to talk about what your physical abilities are and make sure it's safe. If your knees can't handle walking, (and I know how cheesy this sounds) but I've heard of things like Richard Simmons sweatin to the oldies being done while in a chair. Just move your arms and legs to start with.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm proud of you for wanting to do something. That's a very important part of weight loss-wanting to actually do something. The only advice that I can offer (since I'm not a doctor) is for you to stick around the site for support and to get checked out by a doctor before starting a diet. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    You can change your life around. It's a big task, but you can do it. How do you walk 100,000 miles? One step at a time. That's how you conquer this. Stay strong man.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You already made the first step.. you got this
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    You can do this....take the advice.
    Follow the links provided, etc.
    Wish you all the best brother!:flowerforyou:
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I started out at 490lbs back in February of 2010. Through watching my calorie intake and working out, I got down to 235 by May of 2012. I have been maintaining and even putting on some muscle since. When I was at my heaviest, I just started in the morning before work. It hurt like hell, and I don't think I made it made it much more than a mile. I stuck with it though, even with the blisters and the pain. Within 3-4 months I was walking 3-4 miles without a problem, and then my wife got a me gym membership. I started lifting and doing non-impact cardio, and built myself up to working out 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

For me it was all about fixing my relationship with food, and finally paying attention to what I was eating. My mantra is now food is fuel. Food doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make me sad, it just fuels my body. I was 38 when I started, and I had been heavy all my life. I didn't have surgery, I didn't take drugs. I just worked out a lot more, and ate a lot fewer calories. It won't happen over night, and will take 2+ years most likely, but let me tell you, the change is more than worth the effort.

If you want this, and stick with it, you can do it!

before_and_after_4.jpg
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I started out at 490lbs back in February of 2010. Through watching my calorie intake and working out, I got down to 235 by May of 2012. I have been maintaining and even putting on some muscle since. When I was at my heaviest, I just started in the morning before work. It hurt like hell, and I don't think I made it made it much more than a mile. I stuck with it though, even with the blisters and the pain. Within 3-4 months I was walking 3-4 miles without a problem, and then my wife got a me gym membership. I started lifting and doing non-impact cardio, and built myself up to working out 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

For me it was all about fixing my relationship with food, and finally paying attention to what I was eating. My mantra is now food is fuel. Food doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make me sad, it just fuels my body. I was 38 when I started, and I had been heavy all my life. I didn't have surgery, I didn't take drugs. I just worked out a lot more, and ate a lot fewer calories. It won't happen over night, and will take 2+ years most likely, but let me tell you, the change is more than worth the effort.

If you want this, and stick with it, you can do it!

before_and_after_4.jpg

WOW!!!! ::::Standing Ovation::::: You are such an inspiration.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Your body can do it, there's no concern there, but your body won't get healthy until your mind does.

You apologized 3 times in your post, and you don't have anything at all to apologize for. You said "-I mean that I try to academically or intellectually look at my life and wonder if I wouldn't be better off dead so I won't have to try and fail"

There's nothing academic or intellectual about that - that's pretty much just emotion. Do not fool yourself that you're hiding behind your intellect. You CAN do this, but you need to get the right tools first. Please get help.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If you are still alive, then it isn't too late. You have to try. Many people on this site have been in the same boat, and you will find a great deal of support here.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to make changes. And if you do lose 2 lbs a weeks (which I think at first you will lose a lot more than that), yeah you'll be around 400, but if you don't lose any weight, where would your weight be in a year?

There's a lot of great people on this website that can support and motivate you along the way. Why not give it a try - what do you have to lose?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to start.

There's some dude on http://reddit.com/r/keto that was like 700lbs or something and is steadily losing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Baby steps!!!

Everyone has to start somewhere and you're NEVER too late to start!

1st Month - Cut out Soda's and drink water. Water ONLY

2nd Month- Cut out any fast food and teach yourself healthy food shopping habits.

3rd Month- Start walking. Even if its just 300ft... WALK... Walk as far as you can then realize that if you want to eat you're going to have to walk back!! Gradually increase your distance.

Take it slowly! Your weight will LITERALLY melt away!!

I started out at nearly 300 lbs. I was losing nearly 20lbs a month for the first 2 months then slowed down but has never stopped!

You can do it!!!

This sounds like a pretty kickass start.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I can't add much more to what others are saying but please don't just give up.

I would like to wish you good luck and to say it is possible and any change is better than none.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    No, it's never too late. Never, ever. My advice, just start logging. Don't even worry about your calorie goal (ha, easier said than done) that much just start tracking your food intake. Best of luck to you!
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your logical personality and I understand that you're not depressed. So I will just put in my two cents: your body can take a hell of a lot more than you think. You're at least partially assuming, which is not logical or statistic-based, that you will die within the next year. This isn't fair to you or your body. Every pound counts. Statistically, you are safer to assume that you will make it to a much older age before your body gives out, even at your current weight, and there are thousands of medical cases to prove this. Give yourself a chance.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Richard Simmons has helped many people your weight and higher lose the weight and get healthy. (and without surgery) If those people can do it, you certainly can! You just need to take it step by step, and one day at a time. And don't overdo it, because that could be harmful to your body.

14877786.png
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but if you DON'T start today, in a year you will still be 550 lbs, or more. A year and a half ago, I was 350, and at 5'3", that's not pretty! I lost 50 lbs after surgery and managed to maintain that for a year before I started exercising and watching what I eat. It's not been easy, but I have lost a further 50 lbs (almost). I still have over 100 to go and each day takes me a few ounces closer. Six months ago, I could hardly walk for 15 minutes three times a week, not helped by osteoarthritis in my knee. Today I can do 75 minutes (broken up between treadmill, bike, and elliptical because it's easier on my knee) three times a week. Doesn't mean I like it, but I can do it! One day I want to walk a 5K (I will never be able to run it) and as times goes by, I begin to believe I just may be able to. But if I didn't start 6 months ago...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'll join the chorus: It's never too late.

I got an epiphany that I was a fatass. The elevator was out at work and I was breathing like a beached pilot whale from climbing three flights of stairs. I remember thinking, "Is THIS what you've become? Is THIS the best you can be?"

I took a long hard, and truthful look at myself. I'd ballooned up to two hundred thirty pounds. My BMI was 34.5, and I was a mere fifteen pounds from being classified as 'morbidly obese'. I was tired all of the time. I didn't really do anything that involved being physical. I'd stopped working in the wood shop I have. Yard work requiring more than me pushing a self-propelled mower didn't get done.

I started walking. It wasn't much at first, a half-mile or less, then 3/4. I was slow. When I started the "long walk" of a mile and a half it'd take me fifty minutes for a blistering pace of 1.8 miles an hour.

Long story shorter, 18 months later it adds up like this:

Weight: down from 230 lbs to 160
    BMI: down from 35.4 to 25.1
    Body fat (guess from pictures): 40%+ to ~22%
    Waist: down from 40 to 33
    Endurance: up from "Couldn't get up three flights of stairs" to "a short walk is 3 miles."

Bench press up from 60 lbs to 140
    Squats up from 65 lbs to 160.
    Deadlifts from 100 lbs to 230.
    Bent-over row: 40 lbs to 125.
    OHP: 35 lbs to 85.

I'm forty-six years old.

This is literally the first time in my adult life where I'm not overweight or obese by any meaningful measure.