added sugar, whats the difference?

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
Seeing a lot of people saying that "I eat fruit sugar" but stay away from "added sugar"....Curious as to the difference between fruit sugar and added sugar. Does this mean the sugar I "add" to my coffee is bad??? IMO all sugars are the same..I mean sugar is sugar....Do you really think your body says "oh, no that is added sugar store as fat" and then says "fruit sugar, this is good don't store as fat????? Trying to figure out the logic here....

Replies

• xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna switch to only eating sugar from sugarbeets so I can start saying, "Oh, I only eat VEGETABLE sugar" :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Chemically speaking, what people men when they say 'sugar' is table sugar or sucrose. The sugar in fruit is fructose. Both are broken down by the body into glucose (another sugar). In England, you can get soda that is sweetened with glucose!

For what it is worth...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what about sugar cane is that added?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had a friend critique my homemade strawberry chia jam today (we were talking about our kid's packed school lunches), because I add sugar to it. She then proceeded to tell me her homemade jam is sugar free and then listed the ingredients, which included store bought bottled apple juice and honey :huh: I just smiled and did a mental face palm in my head :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I had a friend critique my homemade strawberry chia jam today (we were talking about our kid's packed school lunches), because I add sugar to it. She then proceeded to tell me her homemade jam is sugar free and then listed the ingredients, which included store bought bottled apple juice and honey :huh: I just smiled and did a mental face palm in my head :laugh:

bahahaha I had someone tell me in the threads that sugar is bad, but honey is fine...LOL
  • suuta
    suuta Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started making smoothies I didn't know what I was doing. I would add agave syrup because I was too used to sweetened drinks. Now I know better, I just add fruit to it. I know fruit has sugar too but at least you get the fiber and other nutrients as well. My friends just have trouble watching me drink something the color of mud (and/or other things LOL) But I solved that problem too: stainless steel bottle.

I make chia jam too but my favorite flavor is blueberry/raspberry. Tastes good on top of yogurt too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Naturally occurring high levels of sucrose. I have no idea where you are trying to go with this...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Naturally occurring high levels of sucrose. I have no idea where you are trying to go with this...

not sure I do either...just tired of "bad sugar" vs "good sugar" they are all sugar...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When I started making smoothies I didn't know what I was doing. I would add agave syrup because I was too used to sweetened drinks. Now I know better, I just add fruit to it. I know fruit has sugar too but at least you get the fiber and other nutrients as well. My friends just have trouble watching me drink something the color of mud (and/or other things LOL) But I solved that problem too: stainless steel bottle.

I make chia jam too but my favorite flavor is blueberry/raspberry. Tastes good on top of yogurt too.

why not just drink metamusil and add sugar to it ...that would have fiber in it too, right?
  • davehahn98
    davehahn98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's all sugar and it really doesn't matter when you look at it just that way. Your body sure doesn't care. There is no good sugar and bad sugar.

The reason, though, eating whole fruit is better is that it has more to offer nutritionally than, say, a candy bar. In the form of vitamins, fiber, etc. Sure, you get some sugar (probably less than some other sweets), but you also get the other good stuff. Not to mention fruit is usually mostly water :)
  • davehahn98
    davehahn98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess you could, but that would probably be gross.
  • StrangeUnicorn
    Options

wow I just face palmed myself
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Metabolically speaking, your body does care. There are different forms of "sugars"- monosaccharides like glucose (the human body's preferred energy utilization form and a pillar of metabolic processes) and fructose, disaccharides like sucrose- a combo of glucose and fructose- and lactose... then there are other forms like dextrose- a glucose polymer (chain of glucose molecules linked together). High fructose corn syrup is a combo of fructose and glucose in varying percentage compositions (most frequently 55% fructose or 42% fructose in food processing). Each of these forms of sugar is processed slightly differently upon consumption. If considering identical covariates (presence of fiber, macros composition of intake and other confounding nutrients), glucose is most readily available and efficiently processed of the various forms of sugar. The other forms have to go through some sort of processing in order to be used for energy needs. <- This is why some bodybuilders insist on glucose or dextrose sugar intake post-workout so that the energy is immediately available to fuel anabolism (don't worry about this, it's mostly broscience with just enough actual science thrown in to make it somewhat sensible).

The reason that people are so gung-ho about fruit/veggie sugars: the presence of additional nutrients and factors (like soluble fiber) that retard the glucose response so that the effect on blood glucose (blood sugar spike) isn't as high or as rapid. The micronutrients and phytochemicals that contribute to the nutrient density as well as the fiber and water content that make fruits and vegetables less energy dense are also beneficial in promoting health.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Metabolically speaking, your body does care. There are different forms of "sugars"- monosaccharides like glucose (the human body's preferred energy utilization form and a pillar of metabolic processes) and fructose, disaccharides like sucrose- a combo of glucose and fructose- and lactose... then there are other forms like dextrose- a glucose polymer (chain of glucose molecules linked together). High fructose corn syrup is a combo of fructose and glucose in varying percentage compositions (most frequently 55% fructose or 42% fructose in food processing). Each of these forms of sugar is processed slightly differently upon consumption. If considering identical covariates (presence of fiber, macros composition of intake and other confounding nutrients), glucose is most readily available and efficiently processed of the various forms of sugar. The other forms have to go through some sort of processing in order to be used for energy needs. <- This is why some bodybuilders insist on glucose or dextrose sugar intake post-workout so that the energy is immediately available to fuel anabolism (don't worry about this, it's mostly broscience with just enough actual science thrown in to make it somewhat sensible).

The reason that people are so gung-ho about fruit/veggie sugars: the presence of additional nutrients and factors (like soluble fiber) that retard the glucose response so that the effect on blood glucose (blood sugar spike) isn't as high or as rapid. The micronutrients and phytochemicals that contribute to the nutrient density as well as the fiber and water content that make fruits and vegetables less energy dense are also beneficial in promoting health.

I love it when you get all sciency on me Fit ...:)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, but when eaten whole, fruit has fiber, which helps slow the absorption of said sugars ... I think this is the difference they are referring to ... Maybe?

ETA: Ah, the above explination is much better ... See, this is what happens when you hit "Reply" before reading the entire thread ...
  • Does sugar really make a difference when it fits into your daily calories?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Dextrose and glucose are the same thing FYI.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I just got a mega scienceboner
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Seeing a lot of people saying that "I eat fruit sugar" but stay away from "added sugar"....Curious as to the difference between fruit sugar and added sugar. Does this mean the sugar I "add" to my coffee is bad??? IMO all sugars are the same..I mean sugar is sugar....Do you really think your body says "oh, no that is added sugar store as fat" and then says "fruit sugar, this is good don't store as fat????? Trying to figure out the logic here....

For me, the difference between added sugar and natural sugar (fruit, vegetables) is how my body reacts to it. I can eat fruit and vegetables all day and feel great, but I eat too much processed foods with sugar (cakes, cookies, etc), I soar then crash and feel horrible. In the past when I binged on sweets, it was so bad that I felt like I had a hangover the next day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's all sugar and it really doesn't matter when you look at it just that way. Your body sure doesn't care. There is no good sugar and bad sugar.

I see where you are coming from, but if you are diabetic, hypoglycemic, or you have sugar sensitivities, your body does care. Many diabetics can have limited fruit, but cannot have candies, cakes, cookies, because it will throw their sugar over the top.

Being ensitive to added sugar, my body sure cares. :wink: (see my post above).