added sugar, whats the difference?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Prove it..
    Have you eating 500 calories over maintance by eating fruit???
    Animals are built the same way, or almost the same way as humans, and prob works the same way.
    There is a reaons, why they get tested.
    Dogs and Cats that are home bound are one thing, what about deers, & rabbits that are not home bound?

I don't need to prove it..the laws of thermodynamics and math have already proved it for me...

so you are saying that a Deer has the same TDEE as a human???? bahahahahahahahaha You realize that a Deer's calorie requirements are going to be extremely higher due to their activity (running through the forest all day and what not) ,right?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I look at it simply by what my body reacts too. I am epileptic and one of my seizure triggers is spikes in blood sugar. Sugar in the absence of fiber and other nutrients spikes my blood sugar higher and faster. While sugar in the presence of nutrients such as potassium, vitmains and of course fiber creates spikes in my blood sugar patterns that are more controlled.

Therefore in my body not all sugar is created equal.

again, I meant medical conditions aside...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a difference
    -- When was the last time you heard anybody say, I had so much fruit that I gained weight?
    -- When was the last time you saw an obese animal???

I think the true takeaway is that candy bars are yummier than fruit.:laugh:

Edit to add: Nobody says they had so much fruit that they gained weight. Often what you hear is, "I'm eating SOOOOO healthy and I'm not losing weight! What am I doing wrong?!" Come on, we've all seen it on here.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Seeing a lot of people saying that "I eat fruit sugar" but stay away from "added sugar"....Curious as to the difference between fruit sugar and added sugar. Does this mean the sugar I "add" to my coffee is bad??? IMO all sugars are the same..I mean sugar is sugar....Do you really think your body says "oh, no that is added sugar store as fat" and then says "fruit sugar, this is good don't store as fat????? Trying to figure out the logic here....

updating my original post - this assumes no underlying medical condition....
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    For me, after having had RNY, there is a dramatic difference in my body's reaction. I am still able to digest and process all natural sugars -- honey, agave, fruit, milk, etc. I cannot process refined sugars at all, even four years out. But I agree that the calories from natural sugars and refined sugars are the same all around. In fact, my wedding cake made with Agave Nectar is probably way more calories than if she had used regular old refined white sugar.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Aside from the micronutrients argument the case against sugar is often made with respect to whether it triggers satiety (the claim is it doesn't), supports insulin resistance or leptin resistance (the claim is it does), cause "leaky gut syndrome" (the claim is it does), or negatively affect your immune system (the claim is it does). The most coherent presentation of these arguments is in the sugar chapter of "It starts with food", but they are presumably echoed in other paleo books as well.

Still others claim that sugar inhibits mental acuity based on experiments with rats that show that a rat fed on an all sugar diet of the same number of calories as a rat fed on a diet of various foods maintains the same weight but can't solve the problem of swimming to a platform as fast and while the other rat gets better and better at it. I don't have a reference handy for this study but I assume we can find it on the internet somewhere.

I am not saying I agree with these things, these are just references that argue that sugar packaged in natural whole foods is better because it does trigger satiety, doesn't cause insulin resistance, doesn't negatively affect your digestive tract, and does contain micronutrients that are good for your immune system, plus apparently enhances rather than inhibits mental acuity based on experiments with rats.

I haven't studied the methodologies underlying any of these conclusions. For weight loss, I believe purely in calorie deficit, and sugar won't affect your weight loss if you can maintain your deficit, it's as simple as that.

Osric

Edit - here at least is a journalist's reference to the sugar study http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207031/Junk-food-harm-memory.html
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I look at it simply by what my body reacts too. I am epileptic and one of my seizure triggers is spikes in blood sugar. Sugar in the absence of fiber and other nutrients spikes my blood sugar higher and faster. While sugar in the presence of nutrients such as potassium, vitmains and of course fiber creates spikes in my blood sugar patterns that are more controlled.

Therefore in my body not all sugar is created equal.

again, I meant medical conditions aside...
    If i had no medical condition... i would eat all and any sugar : )
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    , that have completely different biologies and whose bodies don't process nutrients in the same way as humans?

When you buy a car, do you compare the car you want to buy to a bicycle? Your comparison makes absolutely no sense.
    Not completely true, ever herd of animal testing,
    Depends on the car.
    Look Gas is gas right.. Wrong.. There is a reason why certain cars take cetain type of gas.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Aside from the micronutrients argument the case against sugar is often made with respect to whether it triggers satiety (the claim is it doesn't), supports insulin resistance or leptin resistance (the claim is it does), cause "leaky gut syndrome" (the claim is it does), or negatively affect your immune system (the claim is it does). The most coherent presentation of these arguments is in the sugar chapter of "It starts with food", but they are presumably echoed in other paleo books as well.

Still others claim that sugar inhibits mental acuity based on experiments with rats that show that a rat fed on an all sugar diet of the same number of calories as a rat fed on a diet of various foods maintains the same weight but can't solve the problem of swimming to a platform as fast and while the other rat gets better and better at it. I don't have a reference handy for this study but I assume we can find it on the internet somewhere.

I am not saying I agree with these things, these are just references that argue that sugar packaged in natural whole foods is better because it does trigger satiety, doesn't cause insulin resistance, doesn't negatively affect your digestive tract, and does contain micronutrients that are good for your immune system, plus apparently enhances rather than inhibits mental acuity based on experiments with rats.

I haven't studied the methodologies underlying any of these conclusions. For weight loss, I believe purely in calorie deficit, and sugar won't affect your weight loss if you can maintain your deficit, it's as simple as that.

Osric

Edit - here at least is a journalist's reference to the sugar study http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207031/Junk-food-harm-memory.html

I think this is a perfect explanation. :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    , that have completely different biologies and whose bodies don't process nutrients in the same way as humans?

When you buy a car, do you compare the car you want to buy to a bicycle? Your comparison makes absolutely no sense.
    Not completely true, ever herd of animal testing,
    Depends on the car.
    Look Gas is gas right.. Wrong.. There is a reason why certain cars take cetain type of gas.

so humans and cars are now comparable when it comes to diet????

No offense, but your comparisons are some of the worst I have ever seen....
  • ndj1979
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?

Tacos.

is there added sugar in those tacos??????????
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?

Tacos.

Sugar is one ingredient in Taco Bell's beef.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Man there's some crazy people on MFP sometimes :) Its very simple... I avoid extra sugars because I don't NEED extra sugars. I eat fruit because I enjoy it and because the fiber in whole fruits offsets some of the carbs. Plus its good for you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Man there's some crazy people on MFP sometimes :) Its very simple... I avoid extra sugars because I don't NEED extra sugars. I eat fruit because I enjoy it and because the fiber in whole fruits offsets some of the carbs. Plus its good for you.

I never "need" an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, but I sure as heck have one every now and again.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?

Dogs were never fat until humans domesticated them and started overfeeding them. They also never wore scarves or had someone follow them around picking up their poop and putting it in a plastic bag.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?

Tacos.

White flour tortillas buddy.

You know white = sugar = the devil.
    oh, I see what you did there....good one! LOL
  • jonnythan
    Options

My dogs are fat.

What do you feed it?

Dogs were never fat until humans domesticated them and started overfeeding them. They also never wore scarves or had someone follow them around picking up their poop and putting it in a plastic bag.

Fat dogs are too slow to catch food, so they eat less. Then they get skinny and are able to catch food again.

Nature is a self-correcting system :)