Is accepting fatness a good thing?

Options
13»

Replies

• guroprincess
    Options
    Not all people who are skinny are in shape! Why is it that it's just acceptable to judge those who are overweight when there are plenty of "skinny fat" people that get basically no flack about being unhealthy and eating a ton of garbage and not exercising a day in their life?

Whoever says that they are against self-acceptance at any weight is just plain out wrong, imho. People need inner motivation to improve their health. There have been studies done that show that fat shaming (which means NOT ACCEPTING people who are fat) actually makes people fatter. So let people have their own "health revelations" if they want to. It will mean a lot more in the end if they do it for themselves and not because of peer pressure, and they'll be a lot more likely to make it a lifestyle change rather than just trying to impress people that "don't accept it".

And if they don't ever get healthy, what is it any of your business anyway? Live and let live.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    self acceptance is a good/great thing, realising that you are a good person, no matter what shape your body is in is an important concept. Some other important concepts are that loving yourself should mean taking care of yourself and being the best version of yourself, whatever that may be, after all if you love yourself, you are TOTALLY WORTH IT. another idea that people need to keep in their thoughts is DON'T LIE TO YOURSELF. ie don't pretend to be happy with your body if you are not, don't say things like "i am just meant to be chubby" when you are not. there are basic body types that we are born with, and you can't change that, but you can have the best version of that body type if you are willing to work for it.......anyone can, you just need determination. don't say things are too hard when what you mean is that you aren't willing to put in the effort.
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    Just a quick question: Would you consider someone healthy who may be overweight, but has good blood profiles, low stress, etc., but has chronic pain (light) in their knees, low back, feet and shoulders (not from exercising, but just everyday movement)?
    Why do I ask? Because these happen to be the common issues that many people who are just overweight complain about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You've basically described myself. I recently had a full health check up and whilst all my tests came back fine, the ailments you've described are impacting upon my quality of life. Even losing a few kg, I can feel a significant difference in the low level joint pain. I know it's not arthritis because the pain goes away when I lose some weight, and returns when I put it on. I might not have any physical health issues YET but being overweight contributes to my mental health too - for the first time I am suffering self-esteem issues which is a direct result of my weight. I would NOT consider myself as healthy...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't care. Be fat, or be thin. It's your life.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Many do things that are bad for their health.

Some smoke, some drink excessively, some eat too much.

Even though we know it is bad, it does not always stop us.

Fat acceptance is just the same as smoking acceptance in my view.

Being fat is bad, unhealthy and really kinda dumb, but its dammed hard to tell my brain not to crave those delicious tasty treats...
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    In other people, sure. Other peoples' weight is none of my business.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    of course not. it should be discouraged.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've been fit 95% of my life. Is it for everyone? No. Does it mean I'm healthy and will live another 20 twenty years? No. Is it a lifestyle I enjoy? Most definitely.

I don't look at another person that is overweight & judge. Many people are going through health problems that they can't control. Unfortunately their will always people that want to bring drama if your heavy, light, muscular, pretty, curvy or what have you. Eliminate the drama from your life and love yourself, and the rest will take care of itself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question: Would you consider someone healthy who may be overweight, but has good blood profiles, low stress, etc., but has chronic pain (light) in their knees, low back, feet and shoulders (not from exercising, but just everyday movement)?
    Why do I ask? Because these happen to be the common issues that many people who are just overweight complain about.

IDEA Fitness member

You've basically described myself. I recently had a full health check up and whilst all my tests came back fine, the ailments you've described are impacting upon my quality of life. Even losing a few kg, I can feel a significant difference in the low level joint pain. I know it's not arthritis because the pain goes away when I lose some weight, and returns when I put it on. I might not have any physical health issues YET but being overweight contributes to my mental health too - for the first time I am suffering self-esteem issues which is a direct result of my weight. I would NOT consider myself as healthy...
    And many who are just overweight don't really think that it may be an issue later either. Since I work in a Wellness Center, we see the effects of how weight affects joints in all the areas I described. Weight definitely has an impact on how long joints last.

IDEA Fitness member
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    people need to accept/love themselves as they are today, right now, this minute, if they are to start working towards a better them. We all know that there can be a wide range of health problems related to carrying varying amounts of body fat. But i believe one would have to accept themselves as they are, in order to make the necessary changes and maintain them.