Halloween - yay or nay?

Options
Ive been debating on taking the kids trick or treating. I want them to be able to have fun and be kids but i dont want the "candy in the cabinets well into next year". A few weeks ago I actually threw away a bag of candy...from halloween last year! My kids always gets a ton and it is never eaten. They are younger kids so we dont even stay out long when we go. Ive checked around to see if there are any haunted houses or other activities that are age appropriate for them and theres not.

so im curious what other parents plan to do with their kids? are you trick or treating? Or do you have another fun tradition?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Trick or treating. Definitely. Hubby and I will be taking our 5 year old daughter out.

If you're worried about having alot of candy, maybe you can portion it out, so the kids have X amount of candy each day until it's gone. And include hubby in there too :P And if you can work it into your calorie goal, leave some for yourself too. Whatever works. You could also donate extra candy to the troops. I forget what the charity is called, but I'm sure a quick search on google will yield results.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into church carnivals? In my area there are some churches that have community events on Halloween. I don't know what kind/if they have a religious aspect to them or not, but they advertise as being family friendly for all ages.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh, absolutely trick or treating! I second what was mentioned about donating candy to the troops if you don't want to have it around.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Do the trick or treating. I decided I will get dressed up and walk around even when my kids are grown and gone. you can always get rid of the candy.... or do reverse trick or treating and give some back to the houses that are getting hit hard so they can stay "open" longer... I have so done that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Take them out and then "help" them eat their candy........the usual.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Why wouldn't you take them out?
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Why wouldn't you take them out?
    This ^^^^
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Halloween was my childhood day of the YEAR! I loved halloween. Every year my mom would order pizza, we would go swimming at the in-door pool and then go out trick or treating! :D

Ask your child when they want to do.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't be a Halloween Grinch! Take them out trick-or-treating, then portion out the candy, keep some for yourself if need be, then donate the rest to your workplace or something.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I still love Halloween :D We have a street carnival that rocks and includes kids whose parents let them go, but the amount of treats they get (from the shops and restaurants) is small, as it should be. Walking around and showing off costumes and seeing everyone else's is the big attraction. Folks bring dogs dressed up, etc. Love it!

I'd probably have my kids do tricks instead of getting candy at every house! Like have a scary Voodoo stick that they shake at the homeowner and fake chant. Trick or Treat is a choice, right :D ? Don't worry; I don't have kids ;) But they could always say that they are there to show their costumes and see the decorations and only take candy from every 4th house or something. I don't think it's entirely healthy to have kids too hung up on the 'loot' when it's so much candy!

I usually give stickers to the kids, btw. Really cool stickers and temporary tattoos :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    We do trick or treating and eat a little, but most of it goes to the Christmas gingerbread house candy collection, which is a really big tradition in our house. You can NEVER have enough candy for gingerbread villages. Any candy I don't trust myself around I toss (Skittles, I am looking at you). When my daughter got a little older, we instituted a "trade candy for a toy" program (candy still goes to the gingerbread house but she gets a toy, too), and that is still working fine at the moment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's hallow-friggin-ween. i'm taking my girls trick or treating and we're gonna get ALL the candy. Kids like Halloween more than Christmas so there's no way I'm depriving them of the fun I enjoyed as a kid. Anybody that puts a "healthy" treat in my kid's bag is getting TP'd.

......there's ZERO chance that candy is going linger in cabinets till next year tho. daddy will handle that piece of business.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Trick or treating!! Its fun for them!! Who cares about the candy its the tradition, throw it out, give it away, think about the children!! They are so cute during Halloween!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    it's hallow-friggin-ween. i'm taking my girls trick or treating and we're gonna get ALL the candy. Kids like Halloween more than Christmas so there's no way I'm depriving them of the fun I enjoyed as a kid. Anybody that puts a "healthy" treat in my kid's bag is getting TP'd.

......there's ZERO chance that candy is going linger in cabinets till next year tho. daddy will handle that piece of business.

QFT! Listen to the cool dad!
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yay, to Halloween! Yes, we will trick-or-treat! Candy hanging around for months on end has never been a problem in this house. :wink: Honestly, I don't even understand that. It will be gone in time for Christmas candy to move in. :laugh:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Trick or treating is awesome and a great way to see the neighbors.

Plus there is candy. Candy is a good thing.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don't be that mom. Halloween is so much fun for kids.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Nothing scars a kid quite like being the ONLY kid whose mom won't take them trick-or-treating.

Trust me.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Of course take them trick-or-treating -- why not???? In my house, once all the good candy is eaten (chocolate, smarties, skittles), the rest goes in the garbage.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My niece doesn't even eat candy and goes trick or treating. She will eat about 4 chocolate bars and the rest goes to work with her dad. Its fun for them don't be a jerk.