"We don't sell >1kg dumbells to women"???

Options
I went to buy 4 kg weights for my ripped in 30 routine yesterday and this is what I got told. Eventually I had to tell him the weights were not for me but.... what? What kind of strength training program is one that incorporates just 2lb and 1 lb weights? I carry a laptob bag that weighs nearly 15 pounds because of everything I put in it!

So I came outside and told my mom what he said. Then she says, "Do you want to build muscle or something?" What was that about? I thought building muscle was only possible through a diet surplus and heavy lifting. As far as I know, 4 kg is NOT heavy, right?

That said, (although I also plan to do cardio during the day), how do I know how many grams of protein I need to eat to maintain muscle mass and lose fat?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The guy in the store and (sorry to say) your mother are idiots. You're right.
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym all the time, I was using up to 35lb dumbbells, which isn't even super big! And my arms certainly didn't get huge... You'd think they'd hire people who had a clue about fitness.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, 4 kg is NOT heavy, right?

Not only is 4kg not heavy, your goal should be to lift heavy. Not bodybuild, but real strength...

Osric
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh for crying out loud. Stupid.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Could someone tell me how much protein I need to eat to maintain muscle mass please?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Could someone tell me how much protein I need to eat to maintain muscle mass please?

Usually something around your goal weight in pounds multiplied by .8 is more than enough.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you live in Derpistan. Try a different store. Mail order.

Edit: protein and other macro questions answered here:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You get big by eating big whether it's fat or muscle.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Should have asked for some dumbbells for left handed people while you were there
  • Sharkstamsaw
    Options
    Should have asked for some dumbbells for left handed people while you were there

^ This.

Idiot. Too bad he's probably going to procreate.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

I do my shopping at the Leftorium
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Protip: If you've picked up a gallon of milk, you're using around 4kg.
    Sales guy, mother, and anyone else who claims people can get fit using >4kg dumb bells is an idiot.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Not only is this stupid but it's also sexual discrimination and something that a store are not allowed to enforce. Please report this so that it doesn't happen again?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    this comes from the over zealous litigation that america is known for.

shop sells weights to woman, woman gets hurt by said weight, woman sues sports shop.

people are too worried about covering their own *kitten* rather than providing customer service because in todays society it seems that no one will take any responsibility for their own actions, and prefer to blame everyone else.

(not saying that applies to the OP but its is more common than it should be and it results in attitudes like the store person)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    1) Go to another store,

2) Buy the weights you want,

3) Return to old store,

4) Have a Pretty Woman moment.

big-mistake-o.gif
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    did you ask for the manager?
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much done talking about my lifting with people (in my life) anymore. I am sick of people being all "but but but ... you're gonna bulk up and get huge!"

Ummm, no I won't! :grumble:

I'd go elsewhere and I agree about speaking to a manager. A customer is a customer, not sure why because we have vaginas that we're treated as dainty incapable little creatures. Annoying!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's dumb. If you could carry them to the register, doesn't that prove you can lift them without hurting yourself? The cat litter I buy is 5 kg...
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Wow, that's dumb. If you could carry them to the register, doesn't that prove you can lift them without hurting yourself? The cat litter I buy is 5 kg...

^^^^Love this^^^^