Hunger question

Options
This morning, I woke up starved. We were running late for church so, I just skipped breakfast.

After church, I had a half of a ham sandwich. Just a slice of white bread, mustard and two slices of shaved ham. Still starving so I allowed myself another half sandwich. Same as first but with Hillbilly bread rather than white.

After walking home from church, I realize that I'm STILL starving and I'm beginning to get a headache. So, I ate a McDonald's Ceaser Salad, without the chicken. I waited about an hour and the starving feeling never went away! So, I figure this is ridiculous and I ignore it for about 2 more hours (after taking ibuprofen for the headache).

At about 3:30 I eat a few tortilla chips and some salsa while my daughter is cooking us some of the pizza filled breadsticks. I eat one of those and I feel a little better but the headache is still there.

My husband and I then walk to the store about a mile away. All the way back, all that I could think of was that I was STARVING.

Supper was chili. After a bowl and a half, I finally feel good! (Thru all of this, I still somehow managed to come in below my calories.)

Finally the question....what the heck?!

Replies

• darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but this happens to me sometimes too! I always think of them as my hungry or empty days - no matter how much I eat, I feel hungry.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, along with greatly increased cravings for salty foods, when I have not consumed enough water throughout the day (and usually the day prior also). Plain water, water with MIO drops, or hot herbal tea do two things for me: hydrate and cut cravings.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I wake up starving, I have to eat a big breakfast. To me, it does not seem surprising that a single ham sandwich and salad would leave a person unsatisfied, if that's all you eat from morning to mid-afternoon? I would at least grab a cheese stick and an apple or a protein bar on the way out the door if you are running late. Be kind to your hungry self and feed it. :flowerforyou:
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with @endofside. A single sandwich and a salad with no serious protein in it does not sound like much to get you through to 3:30. No surprise you were starving!
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    My guess too is lack of protein. I can get headaches that feel like migraines if I don't get enough protein. And if I catch it early enough and eat protein the headache goes away.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    This sounds like what I go through if I don't eat enough food. Have you been checked for hypoglycemia? You could have a sensitivity to low blood sugar.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I work out a lot I'm hungry ALL.THE.TIME. and it really sucks....lol I feel like my whole life revolves around eating. If you're hungry to the point of getting a headache EAT!!! Food is fuel, and if you're on empty you're gonna break down. If you're having a craving for a bad food and you don't wanna go over your calorie goal then drink lots of water and it'll go away.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    This morning, I woke up starved. We were running late for church so, I just skipped breakfast.

After church, I had a half of a ham sandwich. Just a slice of white bread, mustard and two slices of shaved ham. Still starving so I allowed myself another half sandwich. Same as first but with Hillbilly bread rather than white.

After walking home from church, I realize that I'm STILL starving and I'm beginning to get a headache. So, I ate a McDonald's Ceaser Salad, without the chicken. I waited about an hour and the starving feeling never went away! So, I figure this is ridiculous and I ignore it for about 2 more hours (after taking ibuprofen for the headache).

At about 3:30 I eat a few tortilla chips and some salsa while my daughter is cooking us some of the pizza filled breadsticks. I eat one of those and I feel a little better but the headache is still there.

My husband and I then walk to the store about a mile away. All the way back, all that I could think of was that I was STARVING.

Supper was chili. After a bowl and a half, I finally feel good! (Thru all of this, I still somehow managed to come in below my calories.)

Finally the question....what the heck?!

What's your calorie goal? Maybe you just need more food. And if you say you still came in below your calories...then you can eat more...so eat more if you were hungry.

Also, chips and salsa is yummy but...those are munchies...not real food, not a meal that will satisfy actual hunger. If you want to satisfy hunger, you need a snack with some protein and healthy fats...that's what satisfies the body.

ETA: if you were hungry, eat the chicken. The small mostly lettuce salad from McDs isn't going to satisfy you or give you energy.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What you ate is not filling. You need to eat foods that fill you up, for example proteins: eggs, yougurt, grilled chicken, fish. Also oatmeal, whole wheat grains, rice, pasta. These are just some example. They are low cal and low fat.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What is your daily caloric intake???
  • willowrayne86
    Options
    I agree I tend to drink lots of water when I get a craving. If that doesn't work maybe a piece of fruit or cup of hot tea or coffee. Then more water. The craving usually becomes manageable
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm calculating what you ate and it sounds like about 1100 calories. Unless you are under five feet tall, you need more than that simply for your body to function normally, before activity/exercise. If you are starving all day, it is a clear sign that you are not getting enough calories, and you need to eat. I'm guessing your goal is 1200, and I recommend bumping that up to 1400-1600, depending on your body's caloric needs. Please look up a "basal metabolic calculator" online which will will tell you what your basic functions need, then calculate your TDEE, your total daily energy expenditure, tells you how much you are using, based on your level of daily activity. Aim your calorie goal between these two numbers for a healthy weight loss goal.

MFP gave me 1200 when I first started. I was always hungry, tired and my hair was shedding more than it should have. I plateaued for a year and a half and my metabolism has finally recovered enough to start losing, again. I'm now aiming for 1600, eating exercise calories back and frequently go over my goal, and my scale is still moving in a downward direction.

Look up forum topics like "in place of a road map" that will explain all this and give you a better start than the very aggressive numbers that MFP generates. Good luck!
  • DennisRayC
    DennisRayC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things you can do is skip meals. You got off to a bad start and allowed the entire day to be a constant craving. If you were running late for church, so be it for today, eat breakfast and all meals when it is time.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    From the food you described and the sensation, it sounds like you were not only hungry, but dehydrated. I get running late and not being able to eat a full meal, but you could have had say an apple and a hand full of nuts or maybe a banana. Then when you did eat, you didn't mention drinking anything and all you ate was bread and ham.... no fruit or veg for volume and again no liquid. It really sounds like you were 'snacking' without ever eating a real full meal and maybe slightly dehydrated. I know some will say they doubt dehydration, but it hits me easily and I can feel starving when it hits. Lack of caffeine can also do it for me, too. Glad it has finally passed but hopefully in the future you can make your meals more filling and balanced and that will prevent it from happening.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my weight on MFP and it recalculated my calories from 1320 to 1280. So that is what I've been trying to stay under.

I did wonder if it could be that I had very little protein. I didn't think of dehydration though. But, that is entirely possible. I normally drink only water. But, haven't been drinking enough of it lately.

I've really been struggling with the calorie thing lately. I lost 20 lbs at the beginning of summer. But, totally quit losing and became frustrated. After 2 1/2 months of no weight loss, I had MFP readjust my calorie goal.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh, and hypoglycemia does run in my family. However, last time I had my sugar levels checked. I was borderline diabetic. Another reason for wanting to lose the weight.
  • FoxyLifter
    Options
    I just checked your profile and you said that you're a borderline diabetic. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that your blood sugar was too low. Your diet/food plan is so important. You need to keep your blood sugar as level as possible. Letting it get too low isn't good! Dehydration would add to the misery. Trust me. I have been there. I have gotten really bad headaches and have even vomited because I didn't know what was wrong with me. Eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day helps me... and a late night snack is almost always a must. Nuts, fruit and bread seem to work the best. keep some nuts, string cheese or some other on-the-go snack on you just in case this happens again. Be sure to always eat at least your BMR. Food is fuel!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my weight on MFP and it recalculated my calories from 1320 to 1280. So that is what I've been trying to stay

Without more info (height, weight, age) its impossible to give real advice, however, I'll go with the most common issue...did you set MFP for a 2 lb per week loss? Most people do, without realizing that 2lb per week is extremely aggressive. Depending on how much you have to lose, 1 lb per week might be a more appropriate goal. That would give you a higher calorie allowance, and you won't be hungry. It's worth taking things more slowly if it means it's a lifestyle you can live with. no use being too aggressive, if you are so hungry that you're unhappy.

(also, eating too little can cause a slow down or stall of loss as your metabolism slows a bit to compensate for the lack of calories.)
  • FoxyLifter
    Options
    Oh, and hypoglycemia does run in my family. However, last time I had my sugar levels checked. I was borderline diabetic. Another reason for wanting to lose the weight.

I love MFP but it isn't perfect. If I were you, I would check around for a BMR and TDEE calculator to find out what your range should be. 1280 sounds really low. Go to iifym.com and type in your info. It seems to be closest to my average BMR and TDEE. A few other sites I would suggest are www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What you ate is not filling. You need to eat foods that fill you up, for example proteins: eggs, yougurt, grilled chicken, fish. Also oatmeal, whole wheat grains, rice, pasta. These are just some example. They are low cal and low fat.

I agree with this.

The fact you didn't have breakfast was probably the thing that triggered this. I personally find that if I don't start my day with a good breakfast the rest of the day is all over the place.

I've been told that drinking a glass of lemon juice with room temp water is the best way to start your day and can also help curb cravings through out the day. So I try to do that and have a good breakfast normally eggs and a slice of rye toast.