PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a Slimcado qualifies as "paleo"?

Seems like it defeats the purpose of an avocado... LOL!
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I just did a brief search of what a Slimcado is and my initial impression would be yes - BUT I'm really unclear as to how it came into being as compared to say regular avocadoes. The site I was reading said it wasn't genetically modified or developed by man-made intervention, but rather resulted from being grown in a wetter climate and thus getting a more watered down end product. If that is indeed the case I'd personally say it fits within the guidelines of being a Paleo food - it's just another fruit.
  • paleojoe
    Options

I just did a brief search of what a Slimcado is and my initial impression would be yes - BUT I'm really unclear as to how it came into being as compared to say regular avocadoes. The site I was reading said it wasn't genetically modified or developed by man-made intervention, but rather resulted from being grown in a wetter climate and thus getting a more watered down end product. If that is indeed the case I'd personally say it fits within the guidelines of being a Paleo food - it's just another fruit.

It's just that the fat of the avocado is what you eat it for mainly... that and the fiber. Take away some of the prized fat and what's the point?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Terminator 2 > Terminator
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Terminator 2 > Terminator

Oh yeah... forgot about that one. I need your clothes, your boos and your motorcycle!
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead 1
  • darkangel45422
    Options

It's just that the fat of the avocado is what you eat it for mainly... that and the fiber. Take away some of the prized fat and what's the point?

Well maybe someone likes it, and presumably it's still got other stuff in it that's good. I mean, if you take away the beta-carotene in a carrot it'll still be Paleo and probably still worth eating.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It was trick question - neither avocado nor slimacado are Paleo.
  • paleojoe
    Options

Well maybe someone likes it, and presumably it's still got other stuff in it that's good. I mean, if you take away the beta-carotene in a carrot it'll still be Paleo and probably still worth eating.

I guess... I just don't see the point.
  • darkangel45422
    Options

How do you figure when Paleo guidelines include all fruits and vegetables? Unless you're going to argue avocado's not a fruit/veggie?
  • WakkoW
    Options

How do you figure when Paleo guidelines include all fruits and vegetables? Unless you're going to argue avocado's not a fruit/veggie?

From what I can tell from the anti-paleo folks, a food can not be paleo unless you are taking bites out of live dinosaurs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

ESB > SW...Shrek 2 > Shrek...Terminator 2 > Terminator 1 (although I'm not certain about this one)...

...but I will *not* accept Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead 1.

That's it. No more.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    in 4 garbage arguements
  • WakkoW
    Options
    *sigh*

ESB > SW...Shrek 2 > Shrek...Terminator 2 > Terminator 1 (although I'm not certain about this one)...

That's it. No more.

Comparing Evil Dead 1 and 2 is like comparing Star Wars to Space Balls.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Avocado's are native to South America - human beings are not.

Therefore, human biology did not evolve eating avocados, as the fruit was not encountered until long, long after the migration out of Africa.

Therefore, by the standard of "we didn't evolve eating that", it is not paleo, by definition.
  • darkangel45422
    Options

Therefore, human biology did not evolve eating avocados, as the fruit was not encountered until long, long after the migration out of Africa.

Therefore, by the standard of "we didn't evolve eating that", it is not paleo, by definition.

...You have ABSOLUTELY no idea how this lifestyle plan works. The only reason the "we didn't evolve eating that" theory exists is for foods that the body hasn't evolved to handle very well. Obviously some foods don't require special evolution to handle properly. Some however do - if you want an example, dairy is a food group that a lot of people have issues digesting because, for the most part, humans didn't have much if any dairy in their diet unless they came from specific cultures that were very dependent on it. People descended from those cultures tend to be much better able to handle dairy than people descended from cultures with minimal or no dairy consumption; that's why there are such varying reactions to dairy throughout human populations as compared to something like, say, carrots. That's because carrots (or similar foods) have essentially always been part of the human diet, so just about every human has evolved to eat them (exceptions obviously exist for individual issues, etc.)

The Paleo guidelines for foods that can be considered 'Paleo' isn't about whether we evolved eating that specific individual food, so your argument about avocadoes is entirely moot.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    The only reason the "we didn't evolve eating that" theory exists is for foods that the body hasn't evolved to handle very well.

Ok, let's go with that standard instead, then.

"The vast majority of people handle grain as well as they can handle avocados, therefore both grains and avocados are paleo."
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    *sigh*

That's it. No more.

Whether you accept it or not it's still true.

This makes no sense at all.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

...You have ABSOLUTELY no idea how this lifestyle plan works. The only reason the "we didn't evolve eating that" theory exists is for foods that the body hasn't evolved to handle very well. Obviously some foods don't require special evolution to handle properly. Some however do - if you want an example, dairy is a food group that a lot of people have issues digesting because, for the most part, humans didn't have much if any dairy in their diet unless they came from specific cultures that were very dependent on it. People descended from those cultures tend to be much better able to handle dairy than people descended from cultures with minimal or no dairy consumption; that's why there are such varying reactions to dairy throughout human populations as compared to something like, say, carrots. That's because carrots (or similar foods) have essentially always been part of the human diet, so just about every human has evolved to eat them (exceptions obviously exist for individual issues, etc.)

The Paleo guidelines for foods that can be considered 'Paleo' isn't about whether we evolved eating that specific individual food, so your argument about avocadoes is entirely moot.

No, paleo is silly unless you can show why excluding certain things is wrong.
  • WakkoW
    Options
    *sigh*

That's it. No more.

Whether you accept it or not it's still true.

This makes no sense at all.

The original Evil Dead is a horror movie. Evil Dead 2 is a comedy.