PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options
1272829303133»

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My post was in response to someone that chose Paleo for health, but had children that do not eat Paleo. I wondered why someone would feed their own children foods they believed were unhealthy.

I think she said she did not believe they were inherently unhealthy... just problematic for her.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, legumes are vegetables. And they contain as many or more nutrients as other vegetables. And more fiber and protein than most other vegetables. When you eliminate legumes, you are eliminating a vegetable.

It is the notion that more non-legume vegetables and no whole grains/legumes = "healthier" that I think you'd find impossible to backup with science.

My understanding is that the nutrients in legumes are not as bio-available. I am not sure how much I buy that, but that is my understanding. Personally I eat legumes, they do not make up the bulk of my daily calories, but I eat them none the less.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with the Paleo diet is at times, it can give you a bit of information overload. Every day I feel like there is some new information that this food "can" be problematic and that food "can" be problematic. Honestly it gets to be too much... I am a believer that what you eat is important, but how you feel about what you eat is even more important.

These are the words I am trying to live by currently...

"Eat less, stress less: move more, lift more and get a good nights sleep. For physical health, that's pretty much as good as it gets."
    –Brad Pilon, Eat Stop Eat

I totally agree. There seems to be a general tendency to makes things overly complicated thinking that makes it better. What you posted above is pretty much all you need to know.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My post was in response to someone that chose Paleo for health, but had children that do not eat Paleo. I wondered why someone would feed their own children foods they believed were unhealthy.

I think she said she did not believe they were inherently unhealthy... just problematic for her.

Yes, she did indeed.