PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It sure is a shame that so many people here are solely interested in picking apart and trying to discredit something that other people find success with.

'You lost weight, cured what you thought were chronic ailments, and are completely happy with this lifestyle? NO U R WRONG EAT UR POPTARTS FFS'
    Nobody said that. Ever.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It sure is a shame that so many people here are solely interested in picking apart and trying to discredit something that other people find success with.

'You lost weight, cured what you thought were chronic ailments, and are completely happy with this lifestyle? NO U R WRONG EAT UR POPTARTS FFS'
    Nobody said that. Ever.
    I know, its a parody.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    ...it'd be impossible to actually know for sure since the sudden rise in them suggests...

There is no "sudden rise", so there is no suggestion.
    ...there seems to be an increasing number of people discovering they are grain sensitive in some way...

No, there aren't.

Feel free to share the studies demonstrating otherwise.

Not a study because I don't have time to go finding your research for you,
    But you have plenty of time to post you opinions interminably while presenting nothing of substance to back it up. Maybe you should go find research for your own sake?

I don't have to justify my life and time management for you, but here's a question for you - if you were genuinely interested in these things, why aren't you going and doing the research for your own sake? I've done this research before (obviously haven't bookmarked it all because I haven't felt the need to) so why would I waste my time just to prove a point on an internet forum instead of doing something that's actually worthwhile to my life, like keeping up with my law school work? As I've repeatedly said, if people were genuinely interested they'd look it up for themselves, while the people like you will continue to sit around on your high horse and feel superior despite your own hypocrisy. No one has yet shown any studies to contravene the things I've said either, might I point out.

If the only thing you can say against me is that I'm too busy to hand-feed you the research instead of letting you discover things for yourself, I'm perfectly fine with that.
    I have done the reasearch. None of what you've claimed has merit. You are also confused about how this works. The person making the claim bears the burden of proof. So basically, put up or shut up. Stop trying to play it off. Either you have it or you don't. Simple really and doesn't require lengthy and rambling posts.
    i wonder if paleojoe will understand why i told her to leave
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Nobody said that. Ever.
    I know, its a parody.

Or a straw man.
  • mmapags
    Options
    ...it'd be impossible to actually know for sure since the sudden rise in them suggests...

...there seems to be an increasing number of people discovering they are grain sensitive in some way...

No, there aren't.

Not a study because I don't have time to go finding your research for you,
    But you have plenty of time to post you opinions interminably while presenting nothing of substance to back it up. Maybe you should go find research for your own sake?

I don't have to justify my life and time management for you, but here's a question for you - if you were genuinely interested in these things, why aren't you going and doing the research for your own sake? I've done this research before (obviously haven't bookmarked it all because I haven't felt the need to) so why would I waste my time just to prove a point on an internet forum instead of doing something that's actually worthwhile to my life, like keeping up with my law school work? As I've repeatedly said, if people were genuinely interested they'd look it up for themselves, while the people like you will continue to sit around on your high horse and feel superior despite your own hypocrisy. No one has yet shown any studies to contravene the things I've said either, might I point out.

If the only thing you can say against me is that I'm too busy to hand-feed you the research instead of letting you discover things for yourself, I'm perfectly fine with that.
    I have done the reasearch. None of what you've claimed has merit. You are also confused about how this works. The person making the claim beats the burden of proof. So basically, put up or shut up. Stop trying to play it off. Either you have it or you don't. Simple really and doesn't require lengthy and rambling posts.
    i wonder if paleojoe will understand why i told her to leave
    I don't know but I sure do. She goes on and on as if volume of words makes her opinions true but doesn' t have time to find these phantom studies? Riiiiiight!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    To add to the Whole30 discussion, a typical outcome of someone doing the a whole30 for whatever reason (wanting to lose weight, wanting more energy...etc) is often a discovery that what they were eating was the cause of something like their migraines. They are 3 weeks into their 30 days and they suddenly realize that they haven't taken their "migraine medicine" in over 2 weeks. After they complete the reintroduction phase, they find out what causes their migraines in the first place. Quite liberating, if you ask me. Now they can treat the cause instead of take medicine that probably doesn't work real well or has side effects...

All I've got to say is Migraines don't always have a food trigger. My husband suffered from bad migraines that kept him out of work several times a month. We tried several medications ( only one worth anything was Maxalt ), getting his eyes examined, removing food etc. Turns out every eye doctor never though to check for astigmatism because he has better then 20/20 vision. Got him glasses for that and problem solved.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Whole30/paleo is the cure-all, I'm just saying that it can be (and usually is) an eye-opener regarding how food affects us (on an individual basis).
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Nobody said that. Ever.
    I know, its a parody.

Or a straw man.

nope, because this happened:
    I missed round 1 :(

i'm in favour of it. I did it properly for a few months and felt amazing. Dropped weight really easy, full of energy, didn't miss normal foods at all. But I've been off it for a while - moving house meant I just didn't have the kitchen time needed. Still trying to make good choices and I haven't gained any weight back. But I definitely feel better eating paleo. I'm still keeping up some parts that have become a habit, like my morning coffee made on almond milk.

paleo did not lead to your weight loss...eating in a caloric deficit did ...

If paleo made you lose weight, then why did you not gain it all back when you stopped paleo?
  • elBruce
    Options
    Thoughtful discussion should always be encouraged.
  • elBruce
    Options
    Two words - plant foods.

However you get more and more of them, and less and less meat / dairy / processed foods, the healthier your body will function.

I believe processed foods are far worse for us than eating meat, but I don't believe our ancestors ate meat by choice, they ate meat out of necessity and ingenuity. If going paleo first gets humans off processed foods, it is a great start AND going to make them healthier.

However, I believe the step beyond paleo is weaning off most meat and dairy. Or, at least, limiting it to a much smaller fraction of our current American diet % AND making sure meat food sources are sustainable, ethical, and clean.

There are other reasons to eat less meat than just aiming for better health - just think of all the good karma you can stock up on treating animals ethically and conserving the environment - WHILE treating your body right at the same time. Win / Win / Win!

:)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Two words - plant foods.

However you get more and more of them, and less and less meat / dairy / processed foods, the healthier your body will function.

I believe processed foods are far worse for us than eating meat, but I don't believe our ancestors ate meat by choice, they ate meat out of necessity and ingenuity. If going paleo first gets humans off processed foods, it is a great start AND going to make them healthier.

However, I believe the step beyond paleo is weaning off most meat and dairy. Or, at least, limiting it to a much smaller fraction of our current American diet % AND making sure meat food sources are sustainable, ethical, and clean.

There are other reasons to eat less meat than just aiming for better health - just think of all the good karma you can stock up on treating animals ethically and conserving the environment - WHILE treating your body right at the same time. Win / Win / Win!

so what evidence do you have that meat is unhealthy? You do realize some of the people with lowest incidence of heart disease are heavy animal product consumers? The French should be a model for the US who consume little processed but high amounts of animal products and alcohol.(French paradox)

Animal protein are optimal for recovery whether it is traumatic or surgical, The reason why is due to the amino acid profile of meat and it being extremely high in essential amino acids, there are also other substances that cannot be taken from plants such as b12.

What makes eating meat unhealthy?
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This is just my observation. I find it's too restrictive and hence people who are on this diet tend to yo yo. They have a hard time maintaing weight loss. Just from what I've seen.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Two words - plant foods.

so what evidence do you have that meat is unhealthy? You do realize some of the people with lowest incidence of heart disease are heavy animal product consumers? The French should be a model for the US who consume little processed but high amounts of animal products and alcohol.(French paradox)

Animal protein are optimal for recovery whether it is traumatic or surgical, The reason why is due to the amino acid profile of meat and it being extremely high in essential amino acids, there are also other substances that cannot be taken from plants such as b12.

What makes eating meat unhealthy?

You took the words right out of my mouth...
  • mmapags
    Options

Nobody said that. Ever.
    I know, its a parody.

Or a straw man.

i'm in favour of it. I did it properly for a few months and felt amazing. Dropped weight really easy, full of energy, didn't miss normal foods at all. But I've been off it for a while - moving house meant I just didn't have the kitchen time needed. Still trying to make good choices and I haven't gained any weight back. But I definitely feel better eating paleo. I'm still keeping up some parts that have become a habit, like my morning coffee made on almond milk.

If paleo made you lose weight, then why did you not gain it all back when you stopped paleo?
    So because someone told you the truth they're telling you to eat pop tarts? Cognitive dissonance much?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As for health...I do believe its better for you, I have tons of enegry all the time, I sleep better, infact I tend to require less sleep to feel well rested. And I never get sick when I am eating paleo. My kids and husband will all get something, not me if I am eating paleo. So clearly it does the immune system good, as for mysterious illness that you can't feel, that's the first I've ever heard of that. I highly doubt it seeing how in my experience it seems to boost my immune into superdrive so I doubt their is some werid illness lurking, lol.

I;m sure its not for everyone since everyones body chemistry is different. But for many its the only way to go :)

As for following a book or actual diet plan, meh... lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts....pretty self explanatory.

I'm not sure your last sentence really describes the Paleo diet. And while I am happy that you found something that works for you, I think your post would be more correct if it started with "I do believe its better for me". If it was really best for everyone, why in the world would you not be feeding your children a Paleo diet?
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure your last sentence really describes the Paleo diet. And while I am happy that you found something that works for you, I think your post would be more correct if it started with "I do believe its better for me". If it was really best for everyone, why in the world would you not be feeding your children a Paleo diet?

This is pretty much where I fall in context of a paleo diet. I have no studies to back it up but for me, I just feel better when I stick to a paleo template. Like any other diet it's there for anyone who wants to try it... for whatever reason they want to try it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, there aren't.

Not a study because I don't have time to go finding your research for you, but this discusses some studies so if you're actually interested you'll go read those:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57483789-10391704/

Again, since my only point is that more people today believe they're grain sensitive than, say, 25 years ago, I'm not really sure why you're bothering to argue the point that is basically common knowledge at this point. The huge rise in gluten-free products for example is a pretty good indication that this is becoming more of a priority for people because more people are realizing they're sensitive (and some are just jumping on the fad food bandwagon as well)

I read the article and it somewhat agrees with you. More people today believe they are gluten (not grain) sensitive today than 60 years ago (the comparison is with the 1950's). And more people actually do have celiac disease now than in the 1950's (many undiagnosed). BUT, more people think they have it and don't, than actually have it. It's the popular ailment to have right now.

But it's still < 1% of the US population that is allergic to gluten. More people are allergic to tree nuts than gluten. About 3 times as many people are allergic to shellfish as gluten. This does not make shellfish or tree nuts an "unhealthy food" for anyone without the allergy.

The problem with gluten (and soy) allergies are not that they are more common, it's that gluten and soy are so much harder to avoid since both are widely used as food additives.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Nobody said that. Ever.
    I know, its a parody.

Or a straw man.

I'm not entirely sure whom, but it appears that one of us doesn't fully understand the concepts of a "straw man" argument/logical fallacy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not a study...
    Exactly.
    ...because I don't have time to go finding your research for you...
    Yet you have time to make endless frivolous posts on an internet chat board. The only reasonable conclusion is that you have no legitimate sources to bring to the table.

Which is fine, most don't. But save us some time and stop pretending otherwise...
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

No, there aren't.

Not a study because I don't have time to go finding your research for you, but this discusses some studies so if you're actually interested you'll go read those:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57483789-10391704/

Again, since my only point is that more people today believe they're grain sensitive than, say, 25 years ago, I'm not really sure why you're bothering to argue the point that is basically common knowledge at this point. The huge rise in gluten-free products for example is a pretty good indication that this is becoming more of a priority for people because more people are realizing they're sensitive (and some are just jumping on the fad food bandwagon as well)

I read the article and it somewhat agrees with you. More people today believe they are gluten (not grain) sensitive today than 60 years ago (the comparison is with the 1950's). And more people actually do have celiac disease now than in the 1950's (many undiagnosed). BUT, more people think they have it and don't, than actually have it. It's the popular ailment to have right now.

But it's still < 1% of the US population that is allergic to gluten. More people are allergic to tree nuts than gluten. About 3 times as many people are allergic to shellfish as gluten. This does not make shellfish or tree nuts an "unhealthy food" for anyone without the allergy.

The problem with gluten (and soy) allergies are not that they are more common, it's that gluten and soy are so much harder to avoid since both are widely used as food additives.

Oh it's not because some people have grain/gluten sensitivities that I personally believe grains are a less healthy food; like you say, there are many foods I personally consider pretty healthy that people are sensitive or outright allergic to as well.

The context of that article and my stating that more people today think they have grain sensitivities was simply because someone said it wasn't true, and that less people today have/think they have grain sensitivities than people before today. And that's simply not true. I fully agree that it's a small part of the population that believes/is aware they have these sensitivities.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Oh it's not because some people have grain/gluten sensitivities that I personally believe grains are a less healthy food; like you say, there are many foods I personally consider pretty healthy that people are sensitive or outright allergic to as well.

What are your reasons for thinking grains are a less healthy food? Less heatlhy than what?