What do vegetarians have as protein?

Options

Replies

• Aelyssa1989
    Aelyssa1989 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but i'm always looking for ways to up my protein without having to eat meat.

Here's what I've found:
    Quinoa
    Peanut butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Whey Protein Isolate (Isolate is better if you're vegan or lactose intolerant, minimal lactose)
    Spurulina - this is huge. It's an algae that is 50-70% it's weight in protein. Makes your shake completely blue-green though. Also has additional health benefits.
    legumes - don't rule these out. a week of forcing yourself to eat black beans, and you'll want them at every meal.

Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I typically eat at least 70-80 grams of protein a day. I believe my diary is open if you want to have a look.

I eat beans/legumes, cheese, tofu, tempeh, soy "meats", protein supplements, greek yogurt, nuts/nut butters, and eggs.

Eggs are vegetarian but not vegan, as vegans do not eat any animal products or bi-products whatsoever (no dairy, no eggs, and sometimes no honey). They are not aborted chickens, they are unfertilized eggs. Much like how the eggs in my ovaries are just unfertilized eggs and not aborted fetuses.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I don't consider eggs vegetarian because they were aborted chickens, but that's up to you.

Eh? Most eggs sold in grocery stores in the US are unfertilized. Egg farmers simply keep the hens without roosters, and hens lay eggs whether they've been fertilized or not.

Where did you get the idea that they're "aborted chickens"?

That is just how I feel about them those chickens live in pretty terrible environments. Like this:

battery-hens1.jpg

eat as you will though. I will not be taking part in that.
  • meeper123
    Options
    yes and I PERSONALLY find eggs repulsive. I THINK of them as aborted chickens. Like I said that's up to a person by person opinion.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    yes and I PERSONALLY find eggs repulsive. I THINK of them as aborted chickens. Like I said that's up to a person by person opinion.

It's fine to not like eggs. I have friends who just don't like them.
    But if it's an ethical issue, depending on where you live, there may be lots of options for buying local eggs from happy, free-range chickens. I don't live out in the country at all, and there are lots of small farms/neighborhood houses near me that have a handful of chickens either as pets or because they like having their own eggs, and they simply have more eggs than they can use. My aunt even had pet ducks at one point and gave us their eggs to eat. The ducks had their own swimming pool and luxury duck apartments, so I know they were pretty happy.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest yoghurt.

Aborted chickens?!? really??? how odd
  • runningonvegetables
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. :) I mainly get my protein from greek yogurt, eggs, beans, and protein powder. Those (well besides the protein powder which is only an occasional thing) are foods that I eat everyday. I have a deep love for greek yogurt lol. I eat any where from 50-90 grams of protein a day.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I was going to suggest yoghurt.

Aborted chickens?!? really??? how odd

Has gone through my head ever since I cracked one open and there was a dead chicken in it. That is just a personal problem.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    lin fage yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, optimum nutrition protein powder, and meat substitutes.
  • meeper123
    Options
    If you can afford it I like Sunwarrior protein powder
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Fiber One just came out with Protein bars. :D
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a low-calorie way to get lotsa protein.
  • msSarah83
    Options
    Green leafy lettuce has protein, especially Kale. Tofu has a lot of protein as well as beans. Almond milk and soy milk is fortified with nutrients. If you're a vegetarian and actually eat vegetables, you shouldn't have to worry about protein; It's in almost everything.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat on most days simply because I don't like it that much.

I sub with skim milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and I also love baked beans and kidney beans (mmm chilli). I am not a fan of protein powders but if you don't mind the taste they are great for upping your protein if you are unable to get it from "real" (I use that term loosely) food. Also, many grains have a high protein content (oats for example).

:)
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Most people get more than enough protein in their regular diets. I've never known anyone to be protein-deficient, but perhaps I'm sheltered. Anwyay I'm vegetarian but I rarely eat eggs or cheese. I'd say I eat 95% vegan, and have no problems meeting my nutritional needs (sometimes I meet them a bit too well, which is why I'm here)! I do eat a lot of legumes though, they're yummy! I make an amazing vegan lasagne with lentils. Yesterday's and today's lunch is a 'mexican salad' - baby spinach, carrot, tomato, avocado, lime and a corn/bean/salsa mix thingy. Chickpeas are awesome in a curry with potato and spinach.
    Tofu and soy products feature in my diet quite regularly but I am Australian and our soy is not genetically modified so I gladly tuck into tofu whenever I can (it's just so yummy).
    I eat heaps of mushrooms too, they're good for brekkie, in stir fries, pasta, on pizza...
    Eat as varied a diet as possible and you'll probably be quite alright.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here is a list with the grams of protein per listed serve:

Beans, Nuts, Seeds

1 cup garbanzo beans 14.5 grams
    1 cup pinto beans 12 grams
    1 cup refried beans 15.5 grams
    1 cup soybeans 28 grams
    1 oz. cashews 4.4 grams
    1 oz. peanuts 6.5 grams
    1 oz. sesame seeds 6.5 grams
    1 oz. pistachios 5.8 grams
    1 cup tofu 22 grams
    1 cup lentils 18 grams

Dairy

1 cup yoghurt 13 grams
    1 oz cheddar cheese 7.1 grams
    1 egg 6 grams
    1 cup cottage cheese 10 grams

Fruits and Vegetables

1 avocado 10 grams
    1 cup broccoli 5 grams
    1 cup spinach 5 grams
    1 cup peas 9 grams
    1 medium artichoke 4 grams
    1 cup asparagus 5 grams
    1 cup beet greens 3 grams
  • msSarah83
    Options
    Eggs from the store are terribly disgusting. I, however, have a flock in my backyard that are treated like pretty little ladies and I can assure you that there are no dead chicks in my eggs. I refuse to touch the eggs at the grocery store though - I agree that they are repulsive - animal abuse is a grotesque thing.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree that battery farms are awful and there are ethical issues associated with eating eggs from them but it's really not sensible to call them "aborted chickens" unless you think of yourself (and every other menstruating woman) as having a regular abortion.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I have dairy and soy allergies so I use a veggie protein powder.... I do have a hard time getting enough protein in my diet and iron also. I have tried a few veggie powders and right now I am kinda hooked on MRM Veggie Vanilla or Chocolate...it is 22 grams per scoop and tastes pretty decent with almond milk and is pretty decently priced. It doesn't have all the fillers in it either... no preservatives or artificial sweeteners or stuff...

Hopes this helps
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    dal / lentils - 1 cup is a little calorie dense, but will have a lot of servings when cooked.

tofu, mushrooms , whey powder , protein bar, cheese , nuts.

but mainly lentils and legumes. - Soooo many kinds and sooo many different ways to make them.

my fav - toor dal, channa ( from which you make falafel) , black beans.
    yummmmm

eggs do not really qualify as vegetarian. But if your diet allows it, they are so yum and you can get creative.

Eggs are vegetarian, if you are a ovo-vegetarian or lacto-ovo.