What do vegetarians have as protein?

Options

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for 14 years. I eat the things already mentioned plus whole grain pasta also adds protein to your diet. Feel free to request me as a friend, my diary is open to friends.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't consider eggs vegetarian because they were aborted chickens, but that's up to you.

Eh? Most eggs sold in grocery stores in the US are unfertilized. Egg farmers simply keep the hens without roosters, and hens lay eggs whether they've been fertilized or not.

Where did you get the idea that they're "aborted chickens"?

That is just how I feel about them those chickens live in pretty terrible environments. Like this:

battery-hens1.jpg

eat as you will though. I will not be taking part in that.

We get our eggs from a relative and their chickens are pets and have names :laugh: There's also lots of local egg sources around here from the farmers market to hobby farms, that you can go and visit and see how the chickens are being raised. You don't have to get battery hen eggs, you just need to find a local source (Craigs List, or Eat Wild are good websites to start, or local harvest .org is another great resource to finding what's in your area).
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree that battery farms are awful and there are ethical issues associated with eating eggs from them but it's really not sensible to call them "aborted chickens" unless you think of yourself (and every other menstruating woman) as having a regular abortion.

AMEN
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have meatless meals at least once a week, I love pinto beans and they are very low in calories and very high in protein
  • mynewlife10
    Options
    I need help. Being a vegetarian, I want to know what are the good sources of protein we can take? Mushrooms are one, isn't it? Legumes too. But legumes seems to be high in calories too. What else do you people have?

Thanks.

I am not a vegetarian, but do not eat that much meat. Chicken, turkey and seafood. Having said that; I found you a comprehensive list of items with good levels of protein in them. When you go to the page, scroll down to see the list:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
  • losangels
    losangels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and get my protein mostly from quinoa (it's a complete protein, in case you didn't know!!!!) and tofu. Other good sorces include soymilk, high protein cereals, leans and legumes, and generally most (unprocessed) soy products. I buy snack packs of dried edemamme from Sam's club. each pack is 80 calories and contains 14g of protein!!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    PLANTS!

veggies (esp. greens), soy/almond milk, seeds, nuts, nut butter, lentils, beans, tofu, tempeh, sprouted-grains

YAY for plant power!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and most of my protein comes from Greek Yogurt. I use plain non-fat greek yogurt a lot. I bake with it, I eat it with fruit, I have used it in cheese sauce of nachos. I also do have whey protein powder and have had soy protein powder as well. Don't use either a ton. Beyond that a lot of cheese, milk, nuts and whole grains cover the majority of the rest of my protein. I do like Luna bars though at about 170 calories and I think 12g of protein they are pretty good. Not a big bean person myself so not a lot of those in my plan.
  • sadgirl114
    Options
    Fage 0% greek yoghurt. 97 cals 18g protein
    Skimmed milk is also good :)
  • losangels
    losangels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like someone said earlier, however, if you're eating a baanced diet, its likely you're getting more than enough protein. It's REALLY hard to be protein deficient, like you have to be trying to be. Protien is in everything. & also don't think that animal sources are your only option
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I recommend Frances Moore Lappé's book Diet for a Small Planet:
    http://smallplanet.org/books/diet-small-planet

In addition to listing good protein sources, Lappé includes food combinations that maximize the basic amino acids of proteins.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest yoghurt.

Aborted chickens?!? really??? how odd

Has gone through my head ever since I cracked one open and there was a dead chicken in it. That is just a personal problem.

I have had that happen also... usually more likely with farm raised free range chickens if there is a rooster on the grounds somewhere... not the majority of the grocery store eggs.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Is lab created meat considered "vegetarian" since no animals were harmed in it's creation? It's $325,000 a pound, so not affordable for most people. It is expected to come down in price over the next 10 years, so maybe?

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/lab-grown-meat-here-will-vegetarians-eat-it-6C10830536
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Technically, eggs aren't aborted chickens, they are chicken menstruation. That's why you don't find a baby chicken in every egg you get at the grocery store. No rooster was involved in it's creation. :smile:
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Like someone said earlier, however, if you're eating a baanced diet, its likely you're getting more than enough protein. It's REALLY hard to be protein deficient, like you have to be trying to be. Protien is in everything. & also don't think that animal sources are your only option

^^THIS

There is protein in nearly every food... you can get enough from just eating fruits and vegetables. The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends 5-10% to survive. Only people who are starving (not getting enough calories) can possibly get under this amount. I'm vegan, eat no animal products and easily get 20% or more without even trying. :)
  • 86muffintop
    86muffintop Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Has gone through my head ever since I cracked one open and there was a dead chicken in it. That is just a personal problem.

OMG!! No wonder you feel that way. How seriously traumatizing :sick:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't consider eggs vegetarian because they were aborted chickens, but that's up to you.

Eh? Most eggs sold in grocery stores in the US are unfertilized. Egg farmers simply keep the hens without roosters, and hens lay eggs whether they've been fertilized or not.

Where did you get the idea that they're "aborted chickens"?

That is just how I feel about them those chickens live in pretty terrible environments. Like this:

battery-hens1.jpg

eat as you will though. I will not be taking part in that.

That still doesn't make eggs aborted anything.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Technically, eggs aren't aborted chickens, they are chicken menstruation. That's why you don't find a baby chicken in every egg you get at the grocery store. No rooster was involved in it's creation. :smile:

Well, technically eggs are eggs;some are fertilized and some are not. Chickens are birds, so they don't have a uterus, and they don't have a uterine lining to shed when their eggs aren't fertilized, so they don't menstruate. (Just don't want people turned off of eggs because they're now thinking of them as menstrual discharge. That image probably is going to be as off-putting for some people as the chicken embryo that caused the other poster to start thinking of them as aborted chickens.)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If legumes are too high in calories I'm worried what your daily calorie intake is. A cup of black beans is around 200 calories in general and has a good amount of protein. Consider some vegetarian chili like amy's brand or make your own. A side of quinoa is also a good source of protein that is easy to pair with most meals.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    yes and I PERSONALLY find eggs repulsive. I THINK of them as aborted chickens. Like I said that's up to a person by person opinion.

It can be your opinion that they are aborted chickens, however that is not a fact. In order for something to be aborted it has to be fertilized. For example, you have a period every month, or would you consider it a miscarriage or abortion? Because thats what are you doing on the topic of eggs that are not fertilized.