Why did you gain weight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• SDavidson71
    SDavidson71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gain about 10 pounds a year if I don't actively count calories. So a little less than a pound a month and it doesn't take much to gain that. Overeating by about 120 calories a day over my maintenance is one extra cookie, an extra serving of something. I have never been one to eat a whole pizza or half gallon of ice cream. Definitely didn't exercise or anything either but that was just laziness.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater. It had gotten to the point where I probably should have sought help for it, but at the time, I did not recognize it as a true problem because "real" binge eating disorders to me had to involve purging. When I moved back home and started a less stressful job, I was able to recognize the problem, and have been slowly working on it, which includes relearning how to eat in front of others!

I was a binge eater also, I cycled between binging and starving myself for years and didnt see the problem, thats just how I ate, as I got older I realized it was a problem and wasnt helping my health or self image at all so I started eating small meals+ adding more exercise and it helped me change my habits and im still working on eating in front of other people, it just feels so awkward
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Being a student, needing cheap and easy foods while studying, and being unhappy.

(Luckily, I am getting over all three!)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I got ran over by an 18 wheeler on my 21st birthday and couldnt walk anymore and got depressed and stopped living.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I was lazy and ate too much.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was lazy.

Way to be a total story topper Yoovie :tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Stress and anxiety (lifelong) and being very ignorant about healthy habits and nutrition facts.
    Lifestyle of being sedentary, combined with eating tasty foods for comfort.
    Being married to a guy I was not in love with and using food and shopping as our only sources of entertainment, also he was much more overweight than I was so I got extra lazy/comfortable always feeling like I was completely up to par compared to his fitness/weight level.
    Just being so used to being so overweight that it did not faze me or strike me as a problem. That contributed to reaching my all-time highest weight of 307.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I got ran over by an 18 wheeler on my 21st birthday and couldnt walk anymore and got depressed and stopped living.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF!!!1!one!

(Okay getting run over by a truck seems legit. Nvm)

xD
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    ditto on the PTSD and depression also boredom
  • skyebare
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth from hell and I was on strike about working out for a while cause of the military.. Went through my rebel stage after I got out and refused to run... well then I fell off a telephone pole at work ( I worked for a cable company), and tore up my knee... SO combo of sweets, rebelling to work out, and my work injury.... All those combined made me the fatty I am today.. lol
  • change_21
    change_21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got comfortable, stopped caring, plus for awhile I liked being looked at as just another person who doesn't take care of herself. Never really wanted the attention - it made me even more self conscious.

But the attention now is even worse, I've come to realize.

at least before people would look at me because I was attractive (or crazy)
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My triggers for eating are happiness, feeling unloved and unsupported, (definitely) anger and anxiety.

I am really not sure why I gained so much weight the past few years. I know it is bad for my health and for my relationship with my husband but I still gained the weight. It really does not make sense to me. I used to be a lot thinner. I am 100 lbs heavier than I used to be when I was living with my parents 7 years ago at age 22. I am actually a lot happier to be a alive than I was then so it is really not a happiness issue.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Food is what I had control over, and I picked some awful food choices to down my feels in that in the end made me feel even worse.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A trigger for me is male attention. I guess unconsciously I would rather be invisible to the opposite sex, because the attention makes me feel vulnerable.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    because looking like Skeletor did not appeal to me anymore...
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Food tastes really good!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A combination of thyroid and adrenal problems resulted in a 30 lb weight gain in the matter of weeks due to the condition and subsequent treatment. My decade-long fight with anorexia resulting in minimal LBM and screwed metabolism certainly didn't help.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I was lazy.

Way to be a total story topper Yoovie :tongue:

crap. i forgot i cant participate in these :-/

sorry guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't really have 'triggers'. I think I gained weight in the first place because of life in general. I'm getting older and slowing down a bit, I have a very sedentary job. My partner is a chef and my partner's family (Italian) is very close and will find any excuse imaginable to get together for a ridiculously large meal. It's no one's fault but my own. I had to learn a little self control and force myself to be more active. So far, so good. By this time, next year, I hope to be very close to my goal. Not that it ends there.
  • yoovie
    Options

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF!!!1!one!

(Okay getting run over by a truck seems legit. Nvm)

xD

i DID stop! and lost a backstreet boy!