Carbs

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    under 100g of carbs daily, and I get most of them from vegetables.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    So much bro science in this thread.
    Carbs are essentially toxic to the body

Say-what.gif
    3r9pey.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I often sacrifice the carbohydrate part of a meal just because I prefer the calories from fat. So instead of having a burrito from chipolte I'll get the salad so I can have my beloved cheese, cilantro dressing, and guacamole.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So much bro science in this thread. Before I comment, let me first state that I am not advocating a keto diet for anyone, merely stating the biological advantages that have been studied adequately enough to be applied.

While there might not be an metabolic advantage in relation to weight loss, there are biophysiological advantages to a low carb high fat diets. Carbs are essentially toxic to the body, especially in the amounts normal people eat them. You know its bad that 100g/day is considered "low carb." Keto doesn't start till you drop below 50g/day.

Biologically, a ketone-adapted body will drop weight with a better fat:lean mass ratio than a typical low fat diet. Ketogenic diets are neuroprotective ... there is a reason why they are being used for everything from cancer to cognitive issues like Alzheimers. The heart is actually MORE efficient on ketones than carbs. Imagine what could happen if you simply adopted the diet altogether as a prophylactic measure?

Exercise-wise, once the body is adapted, the amount of energy is much more steady across long bouts of static training. This is because ketones are a direct energy source, they can go straight into mitochondria and be used. They do not need intracellular conversion to purer forms.

The fact that all I have seen in this thread is "calorie deficit is king," "carbs arent bad for weight loss," and "no metabolic advantage" only serves to tell me that the only thing people care about is pure weight loss on the scale. Unfortunately, I was the same for the first 120lbs of loss, then I educated myself. The additional 60lbs leading to my total loss of ~180lbs has been so much better when I take into account my entire health and not just a meaningless number on a scale.

Lol, LBM retention is inferior for low carb/keto diets and the fat adaptation theory is a myth that low carbers like to cling on, even though it's been repeatedly been shown to not exist
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essentially toxic to the body, especially in the amounts normal people eat them.

Sources please. Do you mean glucose?
    Exercise-wise, once the body is adapted, the amount of energy is much more steady across long bouts of static training.

Pretty useless if you are athletic and need a quick burst of energy from glycogen to win a race with a sprint finish. Every wonder why most professional athletes don't low carb?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to carbs. How your body reacts to them is different to everyone elses. It's good to experiment a bit with different carb levels and see which one suits your body best.

I feel happiest on around 100-150g per day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is the obsessive focus on carbs around here. They are the lowest priority macro when it comes to LBM retention and healthy weight loss. Get your protein right and your fats right and let carbs fill in what's left. No need for all the carb hullabaloo.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I found losing weight and keeping within calorie counts to be much MUCH easier for me personally when I keep my carb intake lower. I think you should do what works best for you, you can eat healthy and nutritiously low, high, or moderate carb :flowerforyou:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    haha wow it is spelled their and losing.. i basically stopped eating grains and meat besides fish which is helping me lose personally!

Eye no rite?! OP is sew stewpid! I think that stopping eating grains and meat besides fish would help me loser personality too! I will definitely try that. From here on out, I will only eat grains and meat alone. Never next to fish!

I'm all about eating the most delicious food possible that meets my nutrient requirements and does not trigger THE HUNGER for me. Sometimes that means less sugar and bread.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    What I don't get is the obsessive focus on carbs around here. They are the lowest priority macro when it comes to LBM retention and healthy weight loss. Get your protein right and your fats right and let carbs fill in what's left. No need for all the carb hullabaloo.

Carbohydrate manipulation is one of most powerful tools in the bodybuilding and athletic performance world. They are also shown to have protein-sparing properties. I wouldn't say they are the lowest priority macro.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Carbohydrate manipulation is one of most powerful tools in the bodybuilding and athletic performance world. They are also shown to have protein-sparing properties. I wouldn't say they are the lowest priority macro.

are you talking about the speculation about LBM retention while eating carbs at night from AA?
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to carbs. How your body reacts to them is different to everyone elses. It's good to experiment a bit with different carb levels and see which one suits your body best.

I feel happiest on around 100-150g per day.

This.
  • vinzorelli
    Options

are you talking about the speculation about LBM retention while eating carbs at night from AA?

Talking about carbs reducing the need for gluconeogenesis in general, yes. Not particularly at night time.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    how are you losing weight while eating carbs like in donuts? man i would love to be able to do that :/ my MD has me on a LCHF diet and it's hard

because weight / fat loss is pretty simple and comes down to calories in / energy out. i have had days of donuts, ice cream, and skittles, and still lost. if i can fit a yummy treat in, i will do it, and it does not affect my weight loss at all! i lost 95 pounds in 11 months, by simply eating at a deficit. didnt have to restrict this and cut out that... i eat what i want, just try to stay within my calorie limit. now, at maintenance, i eat low cal during the week, and splurge every weekend... im still slowly losing... i have an apple fritter every saturday morning, and sometimes, i also have a lemon filled donut too... depends on how hard i worked out that week if i feel i want two... i have cherry turnovers for breakfast sometimes, we go out for ice cream with the kids every tuesday (YAY TONIGHT!!!) and try to get atleast 1 bag of skittles in per week... i like food, candy, beer, and yummies... im not giving those things up just to be skinny... just limitting how much of these things i eat...
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Talking about carbs reducing the need for gluconeogenesis in general, yes. Not particularly at night time.

There is something about eating carbs at night time that can be beneficial for muscle retention/growth or fat oxidation or some ****. Ill find it and post it later.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I still eat mine! I try and keep it around 100g-150g a day. No way could I cut them out totally - I'm pretty sure that would turn me into a monster.

Me too. Between 100 and 120 on most days. I just can't eat that much protein and/or fat to make it to target daily calories.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

QFT
  • vinzorelli
    Options

There is something about eating carbs at night time that can be beneficial for muscle retention/growth or fat oxidation or some ****. Ill find it and post it later.

Haha. In that case good because I usually plow about 150g of carbs right before going to bed. Do I even meal timing?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

I eat 85% of my carbs are night time post workout and have had great results from it. I keep that insulin low during the day and spike that ***** post workout! lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Carbs help burn fat more efficiently. Also, carbs are used to synthesize HGH and IGF-1 while you sleep. That's how carbs aid in muscle retention and fat oxidation. Ninerbuff has posted studies about it somewhere on this forum, but it's tough to navigate from my phone.