Running Advice

Options
13»

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am positively stunned by the quick, coherent, and very helpful responses to this thread. I have learned a lot and I will keep referring to this thread as I am a "beginning runner"

Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to be smart....I have learned a lot from this thread.

I guess it is a lot about trial and error as what works for me might not necessarily work for someone else.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and constructive comments.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OK taking this form your prespective. here is some information....
    Lesson One (learned by me)

1. Not all runners have the same requirements.
    2. For instance I am a camel when running but my daughter is not. I run without food or water for miles at mile 3 or 5 she must have water and at mile 6 food is an absolute must.
    3. Lesson from 1 and 2 only you can determine your individual requirement for food and water. Experiment until you find out. I will tell you early on I cached water at the 5 (8K) mile mark and the 10 (16K) mile mark because I had run enough 5Ks to know I did not need it for the 3 mile.

Lesson Two (learned by me)
    1. I cannot run and drink or eat I can walk and do them but not run.
    2. Others can run and eat, drink, talk, etc.

Lesson Three (learned by me)
    1. Fuel belts make me feel uncomfortable, same for water belts.
    2. two weeks of running with them did not make the feeling go away.
    3. Most of the time people will not touch your cached supplies.
    4. caching works for me...but see lesson 1...I am a camel.

Summary: Experiment as only you can determine what works for you. But do so safely with a buddy or a friend giving you a hand. In my case it was my wife who saw me through this part.

Hope that has helped and cuts out all the reading.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Since I started running in the summer, I made it a habit to always take a 16-20 oz bottle of water with me. Normally, I'd only have a little, but it was mostly for the moment that I was done. The moment I'm done, I want to chug liquids like a frat boy. Carrying a bottle with me isn't going to weigh me down that much. I would get overheated quickly, also, so I like knowing that if I get too hot, the water can cool me down a little too. Now that its colder out, I don't really need it, and only take a bottle with me on my Sunday long runs which are over an hour.

that's just my own personal experience.

I always have to carry water with me as well. My mouth gets dry even though I am breathing through my nose. The summer is really bad.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I guess it is a lot about trial and error as what works for me might not necessarily work for someone else.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and constructive comments.

It is definitely about trial and error! Here is what works for me:

In the summer (90 degrees+ and humid where I live) I take water if I am running more than 4 miles. Winter probably closer to 6. If I am running more than 8 miles I will usually have some fuel halfway through. I like the honey stinger gel packets because it is the same consistency/taste as just having honey and I don't want to have to chew on gummies, etc. I have a 12 oz hand held ergonomic bottle, I don't like having a belt around my waist while I run.

Go to a running store and try some different options as you start to do longer runs. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I was looking for advice.....but feeling a bit confused now.......HELP

okay... here

running_water_bottle1.jpg

i run with this. it carries water, the strap makes so that it is attached to my hand, and not that i have to grip it all the time. i throw my keys, a gel pack, and my cell phone in the zippered pouch.

some people prefer this

nike-running-hydration-pack.jpg

it has a few water bottle attachements. the bonus is that you can make it so you have two containers of water, and one of electrolyte drink. it also has a zipper compartment.

i like the bottle because i guess i don't like the idea of running with something around my waist. my experience with that is that it either rides up or droops down.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your physical ability shouldn't decline sans water unless you're running for upwards of ~2 hours (less during heat, obviously). Beyond that it's personal preference.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't generally carry anything unless the run will exceed 2 hrs (unless it's very hot...) but it's really a matter of personal choice. I see runners guzzling water during relatively short runs, personally I hate the feeling of water sloshing around in my stomach. When I do drink it's small sips.

I use a fuel belt with 2 x 12 oz flasks for longer runs, with the exception of really hot weather I don't think I've ever finished a whole bottle of water.

During a race of 10km or longer I will usually grab water from the water stations and at least take a sip but your intensity during a race is much higher than a normal training run.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I generally only take liquids if I'm going to be out longer than 90minutes. I don't enjoy carrying things when I run (including the various belts and doodahs devised for keeping them out of my hands). I'm hoping to wean myself off needing them at all.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I keep myself well hydrated all the times & eat a good diet and am alb to do a hard run/workout for an hour without needing a drink.

I do a variety of runs/workouts during a week. My fluid needs will depend on style of workout, weather, humidity, illness, injury etc... Doing intense HIIT / tempo runs I take water with me. At a race you'll most likely need nothing as it is provided. I personally hate carrying anything when I run... So loops can help with this by leaving stuff somewhere and using it as you loop round. Running tracks are great for this :D

If you like it out on the trail, then you'll have to carry something... I'm a vegan so I take a banana, and/or cereal bar, bottle of water and in the summer an electrolyte tablet. I also have a little cash in a pouch for emergencies and plan in local shops en-route.

Remember if you're thirsty drink, if you're peeing all the time stop drinking ;)