The "Hot Mom" responds to the "Attention"

Love/Hate Her, She has definitely sparked a debate! She has given a response to the onslaught (See Below)

I'm alive! After the onslaught of last week's media blitz and feeling like a punching bag from commenters, emailers and news/talk show hosts (won't say who) I feel like I can still smile knowing that the many who got my message, truly received it. I do have to admit though. I have looked at this man to my right and asked "what is going on?" a few times. (thanks hunny for your support) Here's wh...at I believe is going on:

#1 There's an accountability issue. There's a lot of people with a lot of excuses - not only did McDonald's make people fat, apparently I did also!

#2 There's an entitlement issue - people believing that I can achieve something without doing anything (genetics) People don't want to hear that it takes discipline, consistency and hard work to achieve a goal anymore.

#3 There's a body shaming issue (my body). Apparently we have forgotten how different kinds of health looks like (since being overweight has become normalized)

#4 There's a bullying issue. I think this word is so overused that we forgot that a bully attacks others? I posted my picture on MY fitness-oriented page. (I still feel the cyber punches from those who continuously attack me- ouch!)

#5 There's a motherhood issue. We wear many hats as caretakers and often providers for our family. The stress to balance everything is great right now - but my point as a busy working mom of three is to make yourself a priority. You are a better mom when you take a little bit of time to be healthy. However your body physically manifests in the process of exercising and eating healthy is beautiful. (and it doesn't have to look like mine)See more

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    I think it's so dumb that people are sending that poor woman hate mail/messages. She's trying to motivate people to get out of the mentality that just because your a mom, busy, etc you can't be fit. It's all about what's important. EVERYONE has excuses these days of why they are fat or unfit. It's all about priorities. Us that have been at this for years know this.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    I wish people would just stop talking about it and let it die. She had her 15 minutes of internet fame... now move on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    The poor grammar and punctuation makes me head hurt.

I don't have a problem with the initial photo or message, but the response! Oh! The response!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    I can agree with letting it die, but at the same time, she didn't put herself in fames shoes, other people did. It sounds like her responses above were very well thought out. She may have the haters, but she also has those who admire her. For those that strive to become more active and to live a healthier lifestyle, it's good to have a strong person who can remain positive to look up to.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I don't understand how this photo has gotten so much attention. There are tons of "Hot Moms" and tons of fitspo that says "What's your excuse" or other such things.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Wish I could show her support
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Who is this and what photo?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Who is this and what photo?

Just check the forums, and you will find many posts on it, that roll up to three times. Check facebook, google (almost every fitness person has written their own article about it).

Here are some, but there were many more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120344-does-hot-mom-need-to-apologize

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118731-why-is-this-even-remotely-controversial

I won't even try to post links to the articles because there were too many.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    People are lashing out by projecting their own insecurities onto this woman's image. I sort of find it fun to read the comments, it's almost like staring into the mind of a person.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    I don't understand how this photo has gotten so much attention. There are tons of "Hot Moms" and tons of fitspo that says "What's your excuse" or other such things.

^^^THIS^^^ !! BAM !!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Ok, I have finally taken several minutes out of my life that I will not get back to read the previous posts that lead to this one.

1. It is great that she can get in shape and take care of her family

2. It is a pity that she is a failure at delivering a positive message

3. For each his own and people don't need people telling them the obvious because fitness is a personal thing

We all know fitness equals better help and we all have to make that decision to move forward. You can point out the excuses people make but that only opens wounds wider vice positively motivating them to move forward. So, it is a difficult balance and I believe that when hot mom addressed the efforts she put into her fitness she should have either kept the comments on her and not what others are doing/not doing.

So, although I applaud her success I believe words used ineffectively kills the message.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

^^^THIS^^^ !! BAM !!

ditto
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    I stand behind her and support her. She has worked hard and looks great.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    wow this again I honestly cant believe all the crap that was generated over such a stupid pic. Who honestly cares about some unknown former beauty queen/Mom/business owner whatever the h_ll she is?

Live and let live too many soccer Mom's bored out of their mind surfing the internet and forwarding FB posts all day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Ok, I have finally taken several minutes out of my life that I will not get back to read the previous posts that lead to this one.

3. For each his own and people don't need people telling them the obvious because fitness is a personal thing

We all know fitness equals better help and we all have to make that decision to move forward. You can point out the excuses people make but that only opens wounds wider vice positively motivating them to move forward. So, it is a difficult balance and I believe that when hot mom addressed the efforts she put into her fitness she should have either kept the comments on her and not what others are doing/not doing.

So, although I applaud her success I believe words used ineffectively kills the message.

All she says is "what's your excuse?" How is that pointing out someone's excuses? I someone answers with an excuse, that's on them. It is her wall and she said nothing wrong.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    wow this again I honestly cant believe all the crap that was generated over such a stupid pic. Who honestly cares about some unknown former beauty queen/Mom/business owner whatever the h_ll she is?

Live and let live too many soccer Mom's bored out of their mind surfing the internet and forwarding FB posts all day.

^this.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Oh woe is me, I just want people to leave me alone, that's why I've been whoring myself out to the media and releasing statements about how I'm being bullied by all the fatties in internet land, if only they knew how wonderful and enlightening I am..... (more wallowing and smarminess *fart noise*)
    Let this die now pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!
  • sarabaudo
    sarabaudo Posts: 1 Member
    As a registered nurse, I look at this from a totally different angle. Good for her, but people need to stop being shamed. Whether it be by the "hot mom" or "fat jokes," health is a state of mind and lifestyle. Until you win that battle, who gives a flying *kitten* about a mother with three kids asking "What's your excuse."
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Oh woe is me, I just want people to leave me alone, that's why I've been whoring myself out to the media and releasing statements about how I'm being bullied by all the fatties in internet land, if only they knew how wonderful and enlightening I am..... (more wallowing and smarminess *fart noise*)
    Let this die now pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

+1
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 569 Member

^pretty much this... Even her "response" was poorly worded. She still comes across as slightly condescending, and what she fails to realize is that posting "challenging" remarks like "what's your excuse" in a way insinuates that anyone that doesn't see results like hers is just too lazy or not "prioritizing" properly. Basically, message killed.

That said, those that pointed out this is not the first message of its kind are also correct. And there are now also a ton of articles out there about why this kind of "fitspiration" is basically...d*ckish.

http://reembody.me/2013/09/10/the-6-most-shockingly-irresponsible-fitspiration-photos/