Greek Yogurt: I get it now

Options
Now I see why greek yogurt is so popular. I still stand firm that everything except for the 0% plain is garbage. For me, its a protein source and only the 0% plain has what I'm looking for. I like to diversify my protein sources and this helps.

I typically hate purchasing anything lowfat, but, in this case, it's the way to go.

add a scoop of whey to half a tub for a 260 calorie 45 gram of protein snack. Pretty good at settling appetite and it tastes better than a shake, IMO. No brainer if you like it and need upwards of 200 grams of protein a day

Ive been buying like 6 or 8 big tubs at a time.

Now I gotta figure out what "sludge" I like best. I'm glad I gave yogurt a second try. Stonyfield Banilla was my favorite, but, it wasnt worth the calories.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think the 0% is garbage, but I have different nutritional goals. Also, fat-free Greek yogurt tastes like chalk.
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the 0%. My favorite one is from Fage and I mix it with EVERYTHING.
    I dice up some apples and add it on top or I mix it up and put it over pumpkin butter for protein. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    0% chobani is the bomb. I have one 170g tub of those on my dinner, I use it like sour cream. I then have 6 of the 2% chobani passionfruit ones every day :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I think the 0% is garbage, but I have different nutritional goals. Also, fat-free Greek yogurt tastes like chalk.

You are having the wrong brand then. Go chobani.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to get used to Greek Yogurt too. But I only like the fruity sugary ones.

OR onion dip made with full fat plain greek yogurt and Lipton Onion Soup. Tastes just like making it with sour cream. You don't save much in the way of calories but you get to add in some protein and the cultures and stuff.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Oikos Greek Lime and I add raw almonds....perfection! I also eat Oikos Greek (plain 0%) and add frozen unsweetened fruit (raspberry is my favorite choice) mix 1/2 and 1/2. The frozen fruit "stiffens" the yogurt so it is s a lot like frozen or firm soft serve. Great when i have calories left and I want ice cream or something sweet.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love Greek Yogurt. I've been into the Dannon Light & Fit ones though.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the only time i have greek yoghurt is in a tzatziki.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Full fat Greek yogurt is also bomb. While I can't/don't sit down and eat a bowlful (it's very rich), a dollop of it on top of something like my mom's homemade ratatouille is practically a religious experience.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I like the Chobani and Oikos fruit flavored Greek yogurts, but I'm trying to get control of my macros. I've switched to Fage 0% it is the creamiest I've found.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has great yogurt including a Greek Style - cheaper too!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Now I see why greek yogurt is so popular. I still stand firm that everything except for the 0% plain is garbage. For me, its a protein source and only the 0% plain has what I'm looking for. I like to diversify my protein sources and this helps.

I typically hate purchasing anything lowfat, but, in this case, it's the way to go.

add a scoop of whey to half a tub for a 260 calorie 45 gram of protein snack. Pretty good at settling appetite and it tastes better than a shake, IMO. No brainer if you like it and need upwards of 200 grams of protein a day

Ive been buying like 6 or 8 big tubs at a time.

Now I gotta figure out what "sludge" I like best. I'm glad I gave yogurt a second try. Stonyfield Banilla was my favorite, but, it wasnt worth the calories.

guess I am that lone wack job that thinks 0% chobani tastes good LOL ...

I use it on potatoes for cream ..or put a little on eggs with salsa ..and mix it in with chicken for chicken salad....

IDK just me ....but it is a huge source of protein..

I also mix it in wiht protein shake...one scoop protein powder + strawberries + peanut butter + chobani is pretty freaking good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like most brands, 0% or not, with things inside or not, lol.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos Traditional or nothing, works for me tried all the others and the traditional tastes best!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating french onion dip straight out of the container has always been pretty much equivalent to living the dream for me. So I love how I can mix a tiny bit of dry lipton onion soup with plain greek yogurt and have a healthy, high-protein snack. Same goes for dry ranch dressing.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you want to be a real hipster you need to be eating Icelandic yogurt. Greek yogurt is so 2011.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I mix the plain and a fruit together. Typically Chobani.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    All dairy products are a good source of protein and calcium.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Plain Chobani with a sprinkle of cinnamon, or a tsp of honey, or a drop of vanilla, or some chopped fruit, when I was a little short on calories I mixed it with peanut butter. I haven't tried a savoury version yet but I will, maybe blend with beetroot for a low cal dip? Since I don't eat meat its a good way for me to up my protein. I am so glad someone recommended it to me. No other yogurt I have found comes close in the protein per calorie ratio.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If we are at Greek products...Try Minerva, Greek cooking oil...35 cal a table spoon...compering to regular oil 123 cal :)