Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    2% Fage for life.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! So that's what Fage and Chobani is- I've been seeing them mentioned all over the forums and had no clue whatsoever!

I love Greek yoghurt. Plain or with a teaspoon or two of honey. I've not tried the 0% fat versions, though. Too many bad memories of 80's dieting and Ski yoghurt. (Yuck!) Are these 0% fat versions cut with sugar, like most 0% regular yoghurts?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. I hate fat-free yogurt in general so I usually get the 1%-2% stuff.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the 0%. My favorite one is from Fage and I mix it with EVERYTHING.
    I dice up some apples and add it on top or I mix it up and put it over pumpkin butter for protein. :)

Fage is great! I even use it as a substitute for some cream based recipes. Great as a snack with fruit and other yummy low cal toppings as you said.
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I heart Greek yogurt too and my favorite is Fage, I mix it with honey and it's like eating dessert.
  • cmeinmi
    cmeinmi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy plain 0%, pretty much any brand (I am cheap) and mix it w/sweetener and flavoring - coconut is my fave. Just had some Spartan (store) brand.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I typically prefer Cabot's 2%. Chobani is much less thick than Fage or Cabot.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Olympic Kreme Greek Style Yogurt....it's my little pot of heaven every morning! 120cals and 4g of protein, yum! Unsure if you can get it outside of Canada?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im actually the odd one who likes plain. had it on my burritos the other night
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the whole fat Greek Yogurts at!? I'm going to double check but I swear my local stores only carry the 0%.

I don't love greek yogurt but I do like it and its WAY better than regular yogurt.
    Whole-Fat Fage can be bought at Whole Foods, Sprouts and some farmers markets. Most Walmarts sell the 2%, though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think the 0% is garbage, but I have different nutritional goals. Also, fat-free Greek yogurt tastes like chalk.

I have tried whole fat plain greek- it was way to bitter for me.

I'm with OP- I ad 30 grams of gold standard vanilla whey + 5 oz of black berry and raspberries (I warm the frozen fruit up at work) .

Delicious and ultimately 45ish grams of protein- great way to start my day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Love love greek yogurt...don't care what kind or flavor as it can all be enhanced and/or changed.

Do not want it in my smoothie tho...blah...tried it hated the texutre wont do it again.

But putting protien powder in yogurt...that I might try.

ps plain 0% is great with powdered ranch dressing as a dip or substitute it for SC on everything...cept fruit...need sweetner for that.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting to be attacked for slandering all but 0%, but, this thread actually stayed civilized. To each his own, we don't all have the same goals or constraints. As I said, for me, its about getting the most protein in the fewest calories.

I wanna try this onion soup mix dip idea...

I wanna try the fullfat cheesecake idea as a snack

I want to play around with mixing other carbs and fruits into it

I need to try using it as sour cream with potato pierogies, hungarian goulash, and tacos (three dishes I;d typically like sour cream with)

I'm going to try most of what was suggested and see what works for me.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to love Greek yogurt! Unfortunately, I have to avoid it now because I realized the milk protein was creating too much mucus, which caused frequent sinus infections for me. :/ Just make sure you don't overdo it if you have any problems like this. It wasn't bad for me until I started having a cup every day.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My favorite is plain Fage full-fat. The 2% is good also and easy to find, even Walmart sells it at a good price. I like to mix it with berries or honey and nuts or cacao nibs. I can eat it everyday! I've also tried Krinos that I got at a Greek store and it was good also.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No one can make me eat another bite of greek yogurt. Uggggghhh.

Wish I liked it. :cry:
  • 902sexxi
    902sexxi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I <3 Greek yoghurt????! My favorite is Dannon Oikos toasted coconut. Been avoiding it b/c of the sugar content but I've just discovered that Walmart's Great Value Greek yoghurt and it's so creamy, silky (texture) and has no chalky taste.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think the 0% is garbage, but I have different nutritional goals. Also, fat-free Greek yogurt tastes like chalk.
    5ml of maple syrup stirred in to 100g of Fage 0% completely takes the chalkiness away. This is really nice with fruit half a banana and a few grapes is my preference) and 2 chopped up brazil nuts.
  • g2214n
    g2214n Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting to be attacked for slandering all but 0%, but, this thread actually stayed civilized. To each his own, we don't all have the same goals or constraints. As I said, for me, its about getting the most protein in the fewest calories.

I wanna try this onion soup mix dip idea...

I wanna try the fullfat cheesecake idea as a snack

I want to play around with mixing other carbs and fruits into it

I need to try using it as sour cream with potato pierogies, hungarian goulash, and tacos (three dishes I;d typically like sour cream with)

I'm going to try most of what was suggested and see what works for me.

All Brilliant Ideas!! Just to add - something called Quark(German type of curd cheese) is big hit amongst Bodybuilders here in UK - per 100g Energy - 73cal Fat -0.2 Protein - 13.6 Carbs - 4.1
    Also Fromage Frais (again type of soft cheese but French background) in light version(natural no fat) - per 100 g Energy 46cal
    Fat - 0.2 Protein - 7.8 Carbs - 3.3
    Perhaps you'd be able to find it in US and superb when mixed with protein powder, great mixed with avocado, nuts, chicken; can be used instead of cheese in cheese cake, as a spread ..

Also in regards to yoghurt - my mum used to make it and it's absolute winner - cup of yoghurt pinch of salt and crushed garlic in. Poach 2-3 eggs and place on the top of the yoghurt and sprinkle some paprika. I'd imagine good 30-40g of protein, 10g of fat and may be 10g of carbs?? Also if you feel you need a bit more fat in use 0% yoghurt but fry the eggs in little coconut oil, once you take eggs out add pinch of paprika and salt to whats left from coconut oil and pour over eggs and yoghurt. A bit more fat but if it fits into your macros why not?? P.S. Garlic smell might be an issue unless you have French Girlfriend!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Help me get greek yoghurt.