Export and analyze your own data in Excel

Options

Replies

• jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Giving it a *bump* so others can see it, too. Thanks!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Thriving_
    _Thriving_ Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    :cheer: :flower: thanks!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bumpitty....thank you OP!
  • JessByrdy
    JessByrdy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tag - to look at when I get home from work :)
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Tagging for download when I get home from work :flowerforyou:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Wonderful info - thanks for doing this! Its pretty awesome.

A question - I reset the number of days to import to 180 to reflect just this year and I get two errors on the report card. Calorie Objectives "#VALUE" and TDEE "#DIV/0". I'm assuming the latter is because I switched to TDEE minus 20% a month ago and stopped entering exercise? Any suggestions on the former?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to say;
    Whoops! I hit import again with the number reset and that fixed it.

thanks.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just tagging for later.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Tool is updated -

It is now possible to use a slider to change the number of days used to calculate the observed TDEE average from 5 to 30 days. This allows one to visualize the influence of recent changes on TDEE (just slide it to 5) or to keep it at the lower noise values of 20, 25 or 30 days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/new-mfp-data-export-tool-major-update-659927

V4.04 - TDEE vs Weight graph now varies for higher TDEE limits, average number of days for TDEE calculation can be set with slider
    V4.05 - A date calculation issue with International date format was resolved
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for this. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Welcome!

Latest update:

V4.07 - Calculates (Observed TDEE - Reported Exercise) in the graphs tab and corresponding chart is updated, "ignore today" function now works. Resolves location issue for foreign date settings in Windows, calculates targets for people trying to gain weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/new-mfp-data-export-tool-major-update-659927
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Question asked
    I have a question about your export tool. I am wondering if the tool takes into account the type of workout, intensity of workout, or duration, or is it simply based on number of workouts logged? Or is this the reason for the different estimates for TDEE, to compensate for the different workout intensities?

That's a good question - I'll try to address that here but if it isn't clear please let me know.

It does use the workout/burn data but let me get to that.

Covering Total Daily Energy Expenditure(TDEE): For the calculation of observed TDEE or theoretical TDEE the tool does not need work out data. Let's look at these and see why.

First, what I call theoretical TDEE is just your TDEE from the standard equations - it is based on your activity level and this is why in the graph you see different curves for theoretical TDEE. Now observed TDEE is based on calculating your TDEE from the amount of food calories you consume and the average weight loss you get (and we assume that weight loss is 3500 cals per lb lost...). So neither of these use directly the workout/burn data. This calculation is consistent whether you enter every workout or not.

As of the latest version, I also report theoretical a new number [TDEE - exercise] - this takes the amount of calories burned reported from exercise, a fitbit, etc.. and subtracts them from the tTDEE. [TDEE-exercise] allows you to see what your daily need might be if you didn't have those reported calorie burns. In order to calculate that the program only looks at calories burned - there is no data on frequency, duration or intensity that is used. But, in general these factor affect the calorie burn - they are part of what makes the burn a burn.

How does this affect you and what can you do with the data?

If you find that the Activity Level result is relatively low (1.2-1.4 or less) it means that the estimated daily exercise level plus general activity *might* be low. (Under reporting calories eaten will also give you that.) If this is the case, consider upping your activity level during the day - this is lifestyle stuff not just more exercise sessions.

Your observed TDEE - if the diary data is accurate - tells you that this is your possible maintenance calorie level that you are experienced. Eating 5%-20% below that level results in the "reasonable" weight loss window.

rJRmlPx.png

The three top straight lines in the graph are just different activity level for theoretical TDEE (calculated from weight, gender, age and bf%), the fourth straight line is the theoretical Resting Daily Energy Expenditure (someone who is sedentary) vs your observed TDEE data, the dark orange line (from weight loss and diary calories reported) and with exercise subtracted, the light orange line.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you think it would be useful for the non-exercise TDEE that might help to decide to change your daily activity level (for those doing MFP method I'd gather) to use the MFP multipliers rather than the TDEE charts that include exercise?

It seems if you are going to take any TDEE and subtract the exercise back out, you are now getting a value that is really only going to be useful doing it MFP method, since you must be adding exercise back in.

Because their multiplier's are based on new study research and are different than the TDEE charts.

Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active - 1.8
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Do you think it would be useful for the non-exercise TDEE that might help to decide to change your daily activity level (for those doing MFP method I'd gather) to use the MFP multipliers rather than the TDEE charts that include exercise?

It seems if you are going to take any TDEE and subtract the exercise back out, you are now getting a value that is really only going to be useful doing it MFP method, since you must be adding exercise back in.

Because their multiplier's are based on new study research and are different than the TDEE charts.

Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active - 1.8

Ok, I can update those. And yes, I think that TDEE - ex it really is useful only for MFP settings (a pseudo RMR if you are really logging all exercise)

If I get this correctly, you are also suggesting giving a table with

(oTDEE - exercise) * activity factor = MFP non-exercise TDEE

I could also include an x cut for y lbs per week subtractor.

I'll see what I can build out without creating confusion.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active - 1.8

Ok, I can update those. And yes, I think that TDEE - ex it really is useful only for MFP settings (a pseudo RMR if you are really logging all exercise)

If I get this correctly, you are also suggesting giving a table with

(oTDEE - exercise) * activity factor = MFP non-exercise TDEE

I could also include an x cut for y lbs per week subtractor.

I'll see what I can build out without creating confusion.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far probably, but your point in description with graph about being perhaps more active than you thought you were, and selecting another activity level to better represent your non-exercise portion of day, I think is good point.

I'll also mention regarding the Fitbit adjustments that show up as exercise entries, those are not just the calorie burn from exercise, but the difference between MFP non-exercise maintenance, and Fitbit TDEE, which may or may not include exercise.

I've had days where really sedentary, except for the short intense workout. That was manually logged on Fitbit since it had bad low estimate on the burn (ie non-step based).

But when the compare with MFP happened, no adjustment, so it appeared no exercise. Or similar, big long workout, and indeed lazier rest of the day to recovery. The adjustment is easily 200 less than the workout was logged as.

Not sure if you handle those with caveats in the instructions, or figure someone with Fitbit is already getting their TDEE estimate there.