CLEAN EATING? JOIN ME

Options
124»

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My take on this is that, when maintaining a caloric deficit, you have to make fairly smart food decisions in order to consistently hit what most would consider to be the 'proper' macro ratios of proteins, fats. and carbs. It's very hard to eat like crap and hit your numbers when you are calorie-limited. Now, within your macro limits and assuming you are also getting your necessary micro-nutrients, splitting hairs between whether you get your carbs from a sweet potato versus a reasonable serving of white rice or bread (with the same caloric value as the sweet potato) is entirely up to the individual and how they feel and perform eating certain foods.
  • poemgyrl
    poemgyrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i want to try clean eating. i can only do it until thanksigving but then well, i have to skip thanksigivng and get back on eating clean after that until xmas LOL. cant miss my aunts yummy meal! but i think this would really help me lose a few extra over the next few weeks
    clean eating will not help you lose weight faster..

Eating in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.

So if you want to lose weight, create a 500 cal per day deficit and maintain it over the long term...and you can still have you thanksgiving and xmas blow out...

i have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. I suppose I should have been clearer. I am on a workout/diet routine and was implying that perhaps eating clean would amp up my results a bit. i dont eat garbage now, but there is always room to improve and eating clean might be something to step it up a bit.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i want to try clean eating. i can only do it until thanksigving but then well, i have to skip thanksigivng and get back on eating clean after that until xmas LOL. cant miss my aunts yummy meal! but i think this would really help me lose a few extra over the next few weeks
    clean eating will not help you lose weight faster..

Eating in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.

So if you want to lose weight, create a 500 cal per day deficit and maintain it over the long term...and you can still have you thanksgiving and xmas blow out...

i have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. I suppose I should have been clearer. I am on a workout/diet routine and was implying that perhaps eating clean would amp up my results a bit. i dont eat garbage now, but there is always room to improve and eating clean might be something to step it up a bit.

Considering you have a lower weight loss goal and you are halfway there already, you should probably reduce your deficit to .5lbs a week.
  • HisMrsJ
    Options
    I will join you with clean eating. I have been eating this way for a couple of years. It was difficult at first but now it's the only way I like to eat. I still eat some processed foods, but it's rare when I do. I noticed that when I eat a heavily processed meal, I feel sick shortly after.
    I don't know why some of the people on here want to mock or tear another person down for eating better. What's the point of that?
  • Webbk2a
    Webbk2a Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means trying to stay away from processed foods which ultimately does impact your health! Add me for support in this choice
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To me eating clean means being more aware of what I am eating, and not eating processed foods. I have recently found that for me it feels more comfortable then lean cuisines/frozen/packaged foods. It fits in better with my lifestyle. It makes me pay attention to what I am eating and preparing and challenges me to get creative. I think that there are multiple interpretations for what "clean eating" is and to each their own. Moderation is key to anything, 1 cheeseburger is not going to make or break you, but some people like me need a challenge to make sure that the cheeseburger is the exception in my diet and not the norm. So I am making an effort to not rely on the typical bread/dairy/meat diet that has been my downfall and I am challenging myself to find inventive ways to try new foods.
  • salamagundy
    Options
    No point. Unfortunately there are a few people regularly on these forums that get off on attacking and trashing anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view. I'm beginning to think their unwarranted aggression maybe down to a nutritional injury. After all, garbage in...garbage out. Let's face it, not all calories are created equal and there is no point in being slim in the short term if you're stacking up health problems for the future. If you can truly stand the misery of counting calories, eating clean foods is the least of your problems. Go for it...your body will appreciate the difference.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's boring as bat****. Been there, done that when I thought it was what I was supposed to do. Not doing it again but have fun.. you won't.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand the uproar over clean eating. First, why does anyone get all up in arms over what some stranger on the internet chooses to put in their mouths? I like eating clean. My definition of clean is fresh veggies and fruits, whole foods, minimally refined. Throw in a dash of grass-fed cows to supply me with butter and milk, pasture raised beef/pork/chicken, free range eggs. I don't buy cookies for the kids, I bake them myself using what I consider quality ingredients which meet my specifications above. I don't miss out on anything, and if I want to have something not so clean every once in a while, I have it and it's not a big whoop. As far as boring goes, my family doesn't find the meals I prepare boring. But then again, I like to use a lot of variety in spices and funky veggies/produce to impart lots of flavor on whatever it is I've cooked. You just have to learn new methods to find variety that is tasty for you! :)

Clean eaters unite. No shame in bypassing the poptart aisle at the grocery store. And if that's your gig, more power to you. What other people choose to purchase for groceries is not a boiling point for me.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's really tough to sustain "clean eating" for any length of time. It's important you understand that it's not necessary for health and weight loss. If you start to find it difficult or you eventually give in to your desires and eat some "unclean" food, please realize that's not a failure. What's important for your weight loss is to hit your calorie goal, not how clean your food is.

A lot of people dislike "clean eating" because it demonizes foods that are perfectly healthy and sets people up for failure when they eat something unclean.

i would have to disagree. once you can come to the realization of all the junk that us put into processed foods, it is incredibly easy to eat clean. you only get out what you put in. yes, the overall calorie deficit is the major factor at play here. but i guarantee if you eat cleaner foods and cut the processed crap you will feel 100x better. first hand experience.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean and I track calories like crazy.

My dairy is kinda confusing since I don't really count calories just macros. yes I follow IIFYM =) I am a recovered bulimic so I have to be careful =)

add me if you'd like ..I'd be happy to support ya! I am currently going to school to be a Nutritionist too!
  • pamharleygirl
    Options
    I am new to all this but want to shed some pounds that Thyroid Disease has added to me
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I fail to understand why some people can't just live and let live.

An OP starts a harmless thread on wanting to find like-minded people fof support and immediately arrives the "STFU and eat poptarts" crew.

Please don't attempt to convince anyone that you're providing this service for the benefit of the OP, out of some misguided concern for whether her approach is "sustainable" in your usually not so humble opinion or not. You're just doing it to validate your own approach and because you like to hear the sound of your own voice.

She's an adult and can make up her own mind about what she wants to eat, so why try to talk her out of finding like-minded others only because it's not what you chose?? :huh:
    right so we are all jerks for giving our opinion on a public forum?

All we are trying to say is that you do not have to eliminate whole food groups, label foods as "good" or bad", or "clean" and "unclean" to lose weight..

Just eat in a calorie deficit, work out, eat reasonably healthy, hit your macros, and you will be on your way ...

The OP didn't say she wanted help losing weight. She said she wanted to eat clean and was looking for friends to help.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hi. First. Ignore the many many many snarky comments you're going to get. Something about the phrase clean eating seems to make lots of folks here apoplectic, irrational and snarky.

Something about the name. They can't get past it. But "lifting heavy" is fine to most of them.

Agreed :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean. I definitely think clean eating is sustainable and healthy, but it depends on your own definition and how strict you adhere to it. For example, I don't usually have time to make everything from scratch at home. When I'm not at home, I try and make more wholesome choices, but I know they won't be ideal. It's about setting realistic goals and priorities you can stick to and that make you feel better, independently of weight loss.
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am new to all this but want to shed some pounds that Thyroid Disease has added to me

That's the same boat I'm in. I was already leaning towards changing to a clean eating diet before I got diagnosed, but when I read a lot of articles stating that eating clean can help thyroid function, I dove in. I don't find it boring, but it is difficult to stick to when going out to eat. I just try to make responsible choices and don't beat myself up about it.