HATE Cardio, LOVE weight-training

Options

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss
    Cardio = Look good in your clothes....Get to eat a little more.
    Lifting Heavy = Look great naked....Get to eat A LOT more.

This.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-days a week and on those days I do a 10-minute warm up (stairs, row, etc) to get my blood flowing and then I lift for an hour+. The other 2 days are cardio, but like you I think cardio can be so boring so we've changed it up and started doing a crossfit/tabata style workout and LOVE it. Keeps things changed up and not boring.

This is what I do also. The other thing I don't hate is jumping rope. Can't do it very long, but you don't really have to. I do a lot of it tabata style.
  • Target126
    Target126 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cardio other than walking and maybe some cycling, both of which I'm actually unable to do at the moment (I can just about manage getting around in my house on a day to day basis if I take things slowly thanks to my heart being screwy)

I have successfully lost 5lb in around 2-3 weeks just by eating at around 500 cals under my BMR 90% of the time.

I'd say if you want to ditch dedicated cardio then go for it, there's no point pushing yourself to keep doing something you don't like as you'll just get fed up and throw in the towel.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, and what's wrong with the walks with your mama?!

Lol, Cupcake, nothing is wrong with the walks with Momma Dearest, it's just far & few between anymore. When I go to the gym, I know I can get it done, then & there. Anything else is a bonus.

I think Tabata would be pretty fun & challenging at the same time. I'll have to try that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, and what's wrong with the walks with your mama?!

Lol, Cupcake, nothing is wrong with the walks with Momma Dearest, it's just far & few between anymore. When I go to the gym, I know I can get it done, then & there. Anything else is a bonus.

I think Tabata would be pretty fun & challenging at the same time. I'll have to try that.

You know what's fun? Fitness Blender has a HIIT workout called Red Light, Green Light on youtube. It's like 18 minutes. Tabata is only 4 minutes, so you'd probably like that. Sarauk2sf hates cardio. All she does is lift now, and she looks amazing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% calorie deficit...it has nothing to do with the exercise you are doing. The reason people tend to emphasize cardio is because a lot of people try to create a calorie deficit with exercise and cardio burns a lot more calories during the actual exercise than weight training. Truth is, it doesn't really matter and people should have independent fitness goals; diet for weight control, exercise for fitness.

to get the most benefit from your lifts I'd recommend using an actual lifting program if you're not already. I'd also still incorporate some cardio work...cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system and is essential to all around fitness. It doesn't have to be all crazy dumb ****. I pretty much just ride my bike around for an hour or so 2-3 times per week and when I'm in racing season I do some more running obviously. I don't do machines...it's far more interesting to be outside on my bike or running through the neighborhood than droning away on a treadmill or stationary bike. I do all of my cardio on non lifting days...lifting days are strictly for lifting...I might take a walk at lunch or something, but that's about it.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key to weight loss according to my doctor with the conditions I have ~ PCOS & hypothyroidism, especially core workouts.

What the what? That sounds suspect to me, I'd get a second opinion. Maybe your doctor thinks you can spot reduce? I wouldn't take his or her weight loss advice just because he or she has an MD.

Do you lift heavy or do more circuit training? Sounds like you would enjoy the former if you don't already.

It doesn't take much to get the heart benefits of cardio. There is no reason to suffer through something you don't enjoy. Try out some different activities you like and find one you like.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I toggle back and forth with cardio. Sometimes I want to go for an easy run and clear my head. Other times I want to get it done quick and dirty! When I have days like that, then I always turn to HIIT exercises. Usually sprints or burpees. They really get your heart rate up! There are a few examples below....there are tons more online. :)

http://www.simplyshredded.com/crank-it-up-6-hiit-cardio-workouts-to-help-shred-the-fat.html
  • xSirensSong
    Options
    Do you lift heavy or do more circuit training? Sounds like you would enjoy the former if you don't already.

It doesn't take much to get the heart benefits of cardio. There is no reason to suffer through something you don't enjoy. Try out some different activities you like and find one you like.

I like just doing free weights, the weight machines, etc... I just started a couple weeks ago & am trying to steadily increase as the exercise seem to be getting 'easier'. I can only squat press 120 pounds right now, pull down around 70 pounds, upright row about 70 pounds, crunch around 50 pounds, abs/lower back 110 pounds, torso rotations at 80 pounds... So not the best right now, but I'm working on continually getting better... You have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks again for the help/suggestions everyone.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, it's hard enough for men to get bulky and we're really trying lol

And yeah it can help you loose. I burn about 400 calories lifting for an hour.

You should get on a program though, so that you have some focus and you're not just screwing around in the gym.
  • xSirensSong
    Options
    You won't get bulky, it's hard enough for men to get bulky and we're really trying lol

And yeah it can help you loose. I burn about 400 calories lifting for an hour.

You should get on a program though, so that you have some focus and you're not just screwing around in the gym.

I have a routine that I do: I go & get changed, straight to the machines/free weight area, make my rounds to my normal machines & weights, and that's all I do. I don't dilly dally or just sit on a bench or a machine and look around like most, lol.

What programs do you guys recommend? I looked up Tabata which looks OK & I also like the idea of boxing, though my gym doesn't have a punching bag (either do I), & I don't know how out-of-my-comfort-zone I'd have to come to do that in public, lol.

Any exercise that makes me feel like a boss is what I like. :glasses:
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just want to add to all the people who say you are not working your system with lifting like you can with cardio....There isn't much cardio-wise that gets your heart thumpin and your blood pumping like a solid set of deadlifting heavy weight !!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you want cardio you can just lift weights faster
  • xSirensSong
    Options
    I just want to add to all the people who say you are not working your system with lifting like you can with cardio....There isn't much cardio-wise that gets your heart thumpin and your blood pumping like a solid set of deadlifting heavy weight !!

I can feel my heart pounding out of my chest when I do leg presses, lat pulls, etc... So I can see where this would come into play. I always have to do a short walk at the end of a good lifting session to get my breath/heart rate back down to normal.

Good point!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with just diet alone (creating a deficit, etc). Cardio helps speed the process along, but the main advantage of cardio is it strengthens your heart, which is basically the most important muscle you have in your body. I would recommend doing 20 minutes of cardio a few times a week if anything just to keep your heart healthy and in good shape.

I hate cardio too honestly, I'd much rather just do weight training as I love that like you. But the reality is cardio is great for your heart, and it helps aid in weight loss, as well as makes you feel better in general with an energy boost. So even though it does kind of suck, I still do cardio 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes each time. I just hook up my Ipod and listen to music and space out for a while. It's good to change it up a little too (walk/run outside, treadmill or elliptical at the gym, ride your bike outside on nice days, etc.)
  • MaeRenee94
    Options

This.
    When I'm cutting and eat a deficit I lose with our without cardio, but if I want too lose faster I will do cardio, but my cardio is HIIT. I hate cardio too, more than anything, but HIIT makes it go faster and you feel a burn like you do from lifting.
  • cdahl383
    Options

I agree, if you're doing some serious weight-lifting you can definitely get your heart pumping pretty good. The key is to keep your heartrate up for an extended period of time (i.e. 20 minutes or more), which you may or may not be able to do with weight lifting depending on your routine/intensity. I know now after doing cardio on a regular basis, as soon as I slow down a little my heart rate drops quickly so I have to keep the intensity up there to keep my heartrate up without falling back down.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    All depends on your goals, if you're losing weight just by keeping your calories low and doing weight training then stick with that... If you find your calories are too high, do some cardio?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I need some opinions/help. I go to the gym 5 days a week & do weight training & cardio. I'm only there for around an hour, with 35 minutes of weight training & around 20 minutes of cardio (treadmill-walking/jogging).

I absolutely LOATHE cardio. I am in love with weight training and am wondering, will I see a loss if I focus on weight training alone? I don't want to be bulky, but cardio is so boring to me, no matter what it is: Walking, running, dancing, Zumba, Kinect, etc...

What do you think or what have you found? I wouldn't mind having a few websites to look at either.

You don't need to do "cardio" specific workouts to lose weight. Eat right and lift those weights and it will come off. If you have ever done squats or walking lunges, you know you can get cardio form lifting weights!! lol Or move right from one exercise to the next to keep your heart rate up. Such as doing a bicep exercise then immediately do a tricep one and alternate the sets.
  • cdahl383
    Options

I've been doing all three of these for the past couple of months and it's working great so far!