HATE Cardio, LOVE weight-training

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with just diet alone (creating a deficit, etc). Cardio helps speed the process along, but the main advantage of cardio is it strengthens your heart, which is basically the most important muscle you have in your body. I would recommend doing 20 minutes of cardio a few times a week if anything just to keep your heart healthy and in good shape.

I hate cardio too honestly, I'd much rather just do weight training as I love that like you. But the reality is cardio is great for your heart, and it helps aid in weight loss, as well as makes you feel better in general with an energy boost. So even though it does kind of suck, I still do cardio 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes each time. I just hook up my Ipod and listen to music and space out for a while. It's good to change it up a little too (walk/run outside, treadmill or elliptical at the gym, ride your bike outside on nice days, etc.)

NOt sure why people think resistance training does not do enough for heart health.

Here is a review that shows improvement in cardiovascular health from just resistance training to momentary failure. You are not going to be able to run marathons from just lifting weights but lets not ignore that lifting is great for the heart as well.

http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineJUNE2012_Steele.pdf
    Steele J, Fisher J, McGuff D, Bruce-Low S, Smith D. Resistance Training to Momentary Muscular Failure Improves Cardiovascular Fitness in Humans: A Review of Acute Physiological Responses and Chronic Physiological Adaptations. JEPonline 2012;15(3):53-80.

Research demonstrates resistance training produces significant improvement in cardiovascular fitness (VO2 max, economy of movement). To date no review article has considered the underlying physiological mechanisms that might support such improvements. This article is a comprehensive, systematic narrative review of the literature surrounding the area of resistance training, cardiovascular fitness and the acute responses and chronic adaptations it produces. The primary concern with existing research is the lack of clarity and inappropriate quantification of resistance training intensity. Thus, an important consideration of this review is the effect of intensity. The acute metabolic and molecular responses to resistance training to momentary muscular failure do not differ from that of traditional endurance training. Myocardial function appears to be maintained, perhaps enhanced, in acute response to high intensity resistance training, and contraction intensity appears to mediate the acute vascular response to resistance training. The results of chronic physiological adaptations demonstrate that resistance training to momentary muscular failure produces a number of physiological adaptations, which may facilitate the observed improvements in cardiovascular fitness. The adaptations may include an increase in mitochondrial enzymes, mitochondrial proliferation, phenotypic conversion from type IIx towards type IIa muscle fibers, and vascular remodeling (including capillarization). Resistance training to momentary muscular failure causes sufficient acute stimuli to produce chronic physiological adaptations that enhance cardiovascular fitness. This review appears to be the first to present this conclusion and, therefore, it may help stimulate a changing paradigm addressing the misnomer of ‘cardiovascular’ exercise as being determined by modality.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

You are not going to be able to run marathons from just lifting weights but lets not ignore that lifting is great for the heart as well.

AGREED !! Hey, I am sure most people who have been doing cardio, and HIIT cardio cant run any marathons either though they might get farther than the non-cardio guy :wink:

Cardio has its place for sure, but I am not sure I would do it at all if you don't enjoy it, or aren't training for some type of competition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't needed for weight loss. But it's great for heart health. So lift hard, take shorter breaks (30 seconds or less) between sets.
    If you want to just get in some straight cardio, do it a couple of times a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do think weight training does provide benefits, but doing cardio along with weights is even better.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too.

However, I've found that I really like doing things like martial arts. It's strength training IMO (although it has a bit in the warm-up) and it's not traditional cardio either, although it sure gets the heart rate up!

I think the reason why I like it is because it's similar to lifting, in that it satisfies my desire to feel strong and capable physically. Even though I'm not actually lifting anything. I don't do it for any kind of cardio workout, I do it for fun, but it kind of kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also, as other's mentioned, cardiovascular fitness isn't needed for weight loss. Although it helps keep your heart healthy, and that's a win in my books. Failing the suggestion I mentioned, you could try lifting weights faster? I never finish several sets of heavy deadlifts and think to myself "I haven't done my cardio!"
  • cdahl383
    Options
    A basic Google search yielded this article with a few studies in it. Basically it says why not do both weight training and cardio as they both provide different types of health benefits...

Fitness enthusiasts and athletes can be a little tribal — that is, they like what they do and tend to dismiss or deride other codes, sports or training approaches. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the arguments and discussions about weight training versus cardio (aerobic training). Should you do cardio, how much, how long? Some people in the weight training and bodybuilding communities believe that you don’t need aerobic exercise for peak fitness.
    In a way, this is not a sensible proposition because aerobic fitness -- as measured by various cardiovascular parameters such as oxygen consumption (VO2 max), heart rate reserve (difference between resting and maximum heart rate), and heart rate recovery (reduction in beats per minute after exertion) -- has been linked to protection from cardiovascular disease or heart attack. Studies of various groups of exercisers confirms this. A high level of aerobic fitness is generally not achievable unless some form of pure aerobic training is part of a fitness program.
    Doing weight or strength training alone does increase fitness and cardiovascular efficiency, especially if circuit training is used, but this is unlikely to match the aerobic fitness that can be acquired by including a strong dynamic program of movement with aerobic activities like running or cycling. And in any case, there is no reason not to do both.
    If the critics of aerobic training are referring to competitive endurance training, then that’s another discussion because marathon or triathlon training, for example, is training for a particular competitive activity and goes well beyond what is required for general fitness or wellness.

Exercise Type and Wellness Outcomes

Consider this study. A team from the Harvard School of Public Health studied 44,452 men enrolled in the Health Professionals’ Follow-up Study at 2-year intervals from 1986 to 1998. Here is what they found in relation to heart attack risk (as defined by a fatal or non-fatal attack) and exercise type and intensity.
    • Total physical activity, running, weight training, and rowing were each inversely associated with risk of CHD (coronary heart disease).
    • Men who ran for an hour or more per week had a 42% risk reduction.
    • Men who trained with weights for 30 minutes or more per week had a 23% risk reduction.
    • Rowing for 1 hour or more per week was associated with an 18% risk reduction.
    • Average exercise intensity was associated with reduced heart disease risk, independent of the total volume of physical activity.
    • A half-hour per day or more of brisk walking was associated with an 18% risk reduction.
    • Walking pace was associated with reduced heart disease risk, independent of the number of walking hours.
    • Total physical activity, running, weight training, and walking were each associated with reduced heart disease risk. Average exercise intensity was associated with reduced risk independent of the number of MET-hours spent in physical activity.
    Note the role for exercise intensity in improving heart disease risk outcomes. This does not imply that you have to do everything at 90% of your maximum heart rate; it means that you will benefit most from exercise at moderate to high intensity — in the range of 70 to 90% of your maximum heart rate. A progressive program of training is required to achieve these higher training intensities.

In another study in the journal Atherosclerosis, 35,402 male runners were studied over 7.7 years. For each kilometer they ran per day, their risk declined 5% for fatal and nonfatal coronary heart disease (CHD) and artery bypasses. Their risks for nonfatal heart attacks and angina declined 7% per km. Compared to running less than 3 kilometers per day, running 9km/day reduced risks 65% for angina, 29% for nonfatal CHD and 26% for fatal and nonfatal CHD. The authors concluded that exceeding the guidelines for physical activity levels produces important reductions in heart disease risk.

Arterial Stiffness and Weight Training

Several studies have demonstrated that weight training has a tendency to produce stiffening of the arteries (poor arterial compliance). Arterial stiffness is related to high blood pressure and an increase in heart disease and stroke risk. While this condition needs to be studied more widely in weight trainers to understand and evaluate the nature of the risk, balancing weight training with aerobic exercise, which tends to reduce arterial stiffening, seems like a good safeguard.

Should I Do Weights or Cardio?

The bottom line here is that any exercise is better than none, and the total volume and intensity of exercise counts toward the ultimate training and wellness effect. Moderate- to high-intensity and volume aerobic exercise has clear benefits for heart and lung conditioning that are more or less unique to aerobic exercise.

Weight training has its own benefits in strength and muscle enhancement or maintenance, flexibility, plus some cardiovascular benefit. Interval training at high intensity complements the other two. Why omit one? Why not do all three types of exercise if you are able? That’s certainly what the latest physical activity guidelines are hinting at.

You can't get optimum fitness from one type of physical activity training. Different systems in your body are targeted when you specialize in one type of exercise. If you need optimum performance for sports competition, then you do need to specialize. But if you're training for wellness and a high level of all-around fitness, you need to do at least some pure aerobic training as well as weight training two to three times a week.

The "weights or cardio" argument is dead. Long live all-around fitness.

Sources:
    Tanasescu M, Leitzmann MF, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Hu FB. Exercise type and intensity in relation to coronary heart disease in men. JAMA. 2002 Oct 23-30;288(16):1994-2000.
    Williams PT. Reductions in incident coronary heart disease risk above guideline physical activity levels in men. Atherosclerosis. 2010 Apr;209(2):524-7.
    Miyachi M, Kawano H, Sugawara J, Takahashi K, Hayashi K, Yamazaki K, Tabata I, Tanaka H. Unfavorable effects of resistance training on central arterial compliance: a randomized intervention study. Circulation. 2004 Nov 2;110(18):2858-63.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm the other way around, but I find that in order to really lose, you need both. I've recently gotten back into weight training, and it is making a huge difference when combined with cardio v cardio alone. Like I said, its the opposite problem, but the combination of two is what works for me. I would keep up SOME cardio!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too....like with a passion. The dreadmill is the worst. I am mainly a lifter (when I am not pregnant!) as well but I do cardio once in a while just for my heart or to get to eat more :) ....maybe try something outside of the box? Some of my favorite cardio involves the sled in my gym. I load that bad boy up with plates and push it back and forth across the room as fast as I can....feels kinda like HITT. Plus its a twofer....cardio and a great leg work out. It kicks my *kitten* basically.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do think weight training does provide benefits, but doing cardio along with weights is even better.

I agree. It is just when people say something like:

The main advantage of cardio is it strengthens your heart, which is basically the most important muscle you have in your body. I would recommend doing 20 minutes of cardio a few times a week if anything just to keep your heart healthy and in good shape.

It implies that weightlifting does not have any cardiovascular benefit or you are neglecting your health if you dont do any cardio.
  • cdahl383
    Options

I agree. It is just when people say something like:

The main advantage of cardio is it strengthens your heart, which is basically the most important muscle you have in your body. I would recommend doing 20 minutes of cardio a few times a week if anything just to keep your heart healthy and in good shape.

It implies that weightlifting does not have any cardiovascular benefit or you are neglecting your health if you dont do any cardio.

I get what you're saying man, not arguing at all. I prefer weight training myself as well. I definitely agree that you get some cardiovascular benefits from weight training, but I just think that adding cardio to your overall routine is a major plus. Generally when I'm weight training I focus on the muscle groups I'm training (i.e. chest muscles, triceps, legs, etc) and dont really focus too much on what my heart is going at the time. Obviously there is more strain on the heart during that time which is good, but I think cardio is generally more effective at working out your heart than weight training.

Most people that I see lifting weights at the gym aren't going at it hard enough to get much of a cardiovascular workout. Sure they're getting some benefit, but not the same as an actual 20-30 minute cardio workout where your heartrate is elevated for an extended period of time. Now if you increase the intensity of your workout to keep your heartrate up then maybe that gets you closer to an actual cardio workout, but generally I dont see people doing this. Doesn't mean you can't be the one to do that on your own, just making observations.

To me its just easier to focus on weights and then focus on cardio, rather than try to blend them together. For others maybe they like to blend it all into one and kill two birds with one stone. Whatever works for you is what you should do. I think the important point is that each has its own unique benefits and if possible, doing both is a good way to go.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I've lost 40lbs mostly with just weight lifting. I went at least 6 months doing no cardio and my progress was great. You don't need to do cardio unless you want to.
  • baebleranna
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, hate "cardio" and found a love for weight lifting.

I was very overweight growing up (mostly a result of poor lifestyle choices encouraged by my family). My weight very slowly came off eating VERY poorly (bread, pasta, no protein or fat) and at a calorie deficit (starvation mode I suspect) over the course of 3 years in college, and subsequently off of a poverty diet where I also decided to incorporate 3-mile runs almost every day of the week. Then diagnosed and started dosage roulette for the hypothyroidism. Stabilized and those last 15 lbs pretty much fell off in 6 months. Not a huge feat in itself compared to some people here, but a 2lb difference is pretty noticeable on my 5 ft frame.

I started looking awfully sickly (underweight), feeling quite weak like I used to before treatment, and it turned out my TSH was out of wack and they had me overmedicated/out of balance again. With that adjusted after a month or so, I started doing weightlifting consistently (heavy as I can go, and keep pushing) and started eating even better (not afraid of protein or fat), filling out with muscle, and feeling a whole lot better. At the same time, I stopped running so much (after buying fancy new shoes nonetheless) because it was killing my lifting gains and I just have a tough time regulating my temperature/breathing where I live (extremely hot and humid in summer). And it was leaving me extra fatigued. I picked up biking a few times a week for about an hour because it was just easier on me and I really just love it. I do yoga after my weight lifting when I can fit it in, and it just feels great. There are tons of cardio options out there!

I understand dealing with either of these conditions varies a whole lot from person to person, but is your treatment under control? Do you get enough sleep? Are you eating enough of all the right things? I was personally overworking myself while simultaneously depriving myself during a very stressful time in my life on top of that, for about two years, trying to do everything and my thyroid could not keep up.

This is just my sneaking suspicion, not an expert on this at all but I've read the same thing your doctor suggests about building your core/weightlifting in general for hypothyroid patients. From my (limited, amateur) experience, just consistently doing compound (heavy) lifts will build your core crazy fast (comparatively lots of muscle mass with less, for lack of a better word, effort, than isolation exercises). Which will in itself raise your metabolism. For me, this means eating (grazing) more than I used to in order to keep up (I'm in maintenance, though), so I'm constantly energized.

Don't forget to listen to your body (and your doctor)! Good luck!
  • dgbush0208
    dgbush0208 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss
    Cardio = Look good in your clothes....Get to eat a little more.
    Lifting Heavy = Look great naked....Get to eat A LOT more.

LOVE THIS!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, it's hard enough for men to get bulky and we're really trying lol

And yeah it can help you loose. I burn about 400 calories lifting for an hour.

You should get on a program though, so that you have some focus and you're not just screwing around in the gym.

I have a routine that I do: I go & get changed, straight to the machines/free weight area, make my rounds to my normal machines & weights, and that's all I do. I don't dilly dally or just sit on a bench or a machine and look around like most, lol.

What programs do you guys recommend? I looked up Tabata which looks OK & I also like the idea of boxing, though my gym doesn't have a punching bag (either do I), & I don't know how out-of-my-comfort-zone I'd have to come to do that in public, lol.

Any exercise that makes me feel like a boss is what I like. :glasses:

Look for a groupon for a boxing gym. I swear, you will LOVE it! I'm saving up for my own bag because I can't afford to join the gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Look for a groupon for a boxing gym. I swear, you will LOVE it! I'm saving up for my own bag because I can't afford to join the gym.

plus one.

you can work out for cheap for a while with groupons and trial offers. i did a month of muay thai at a Gracie Academy Gym on a $50 groupon.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

plus one.

you can work out for cheap for a while with groupons and trial offers. i did a month of muay thai at a Gracie Academy Gym on a $50 groupon.

<-- wonders how one builds muscle or how long someone has to punch a bag before they burn enough calories to aid in weight loss...

Not knocking boxing, but isn't boxing mostly for boxers? Just seems like a strange suggestion. I have to figure for most people this will endup like the treadmill they bought, just sitting collecting dust.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I get cardio from doing weights. Check out barbell complexes. They're fast, effective, and don't require running... or really going anywhere.

A complex usually consists of 4-6 exercises done without stopping. You don't set down the bar between any of the exercises. Select a weight that you can comfortably complete all of the chosen reps with on the most difficult exercise.

For example, I have been using 3 cycles of the complex below as my warm-up or I've done 5 cycles as a workout finisher. It can be quite strenuous because with the big lifts you are generally using most of the muscles in your body, and you are performing 48 movements without pause:

Complex A for Eights

Pendlay Row x 8
    Power Clean x 8
    Front squat x 8
    Overhead Press x 8
    Back squat x 8
    Good mornings x 8

Here's an article regarding barbell complexes for further reading: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexes
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    combining weight training with HIIT cardio will always help to grow muscle, reduce body fat. bulky is when you have fat covering your muscle, so the more you drop the bf% the less "bulky" you will look. (not saying YOU look bulky, this is a generalization).

I hate cardio too, that's why I only do it 2 times a week but when I do it I do HIIT sprinting on the treadmill or a stairmaster machine with high level and low level throughout. as long as i leave sweating i am happy.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I get cardio from doing weights. Check out barbell complexes. They're fast, effective, and don't require running... or really going anywhere.

A complex usually consists of 4-6 exercises done without stopping. You don't set down the bar between any of the exercises. Select a weight that you can comfortably complete all of the chosen reps with on the most difficult exercise.

For example, I have been using 3 cycles of the complex below as my warm-up or I've done 5 cycles as a workout finisher. It can be quite strenuous because with the big lifts you are generally using most of the muscles in your body, and you are performing 48 movements without pause:

Complex A for Eights

Pendlay Row x 8
    Power Clean x 8
    Front squat x 8
    Overhead Press x 8
    Back squat x 8
    Good mornings x 8

Here's an article regarding barbell complexes for further reading: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexes

This is what I was coming in to suggest :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOATHE cardio. I am in love with weight training and am wondering, will I see a loss if I focus on weight training alone? I don't want to be bulky, but cardio is so boring to me, no matter what it is: Walking, running, dancing, Zumba, Kinect, etc...

Work hard at what you love! Honestly, 20 minutes of cardio isn't much anyway, and if you're not feeling the love for it, it's not likely to be performed at a super-high motivation level anyway. What you could do as an alternative is replace the cardio with high-rep, low-weight lifting, which will basically be HIIT-like anyway.

Personally, I prefer something like a 75-25 cardio-lifting split, and it works fantastic for me, but everybody is different and it's all good!