It is offensive to minimize another's success.

Options
stumblinthrulife
stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
grinds-my-gears11.jpg

All this talk about the 'hot mom/no excuses' poster being offensive has my blood boiling. You know what's really offensive? Minimizing another person's success.

I'm starting to hear it now, quite a bit. "Don't think your success can be duplicated by everyone, some people have [excuse, excuse, excuse]" or "Not everyone is lucky enough to have
    ". Heck, I've even heard "you're just so lucky to have a runner's body" from someone who knew me when I had the body of the Pilsbury Doughboy. You know why I have a runner's body? It's because I ran. I ran and ran and ran. Hot out? Run. Cold out? Run. Raining? Run. Tired? Run. Stressed? Run. Don't wanna? Do it anyway. No time? Find time.
I worked damn hard for what I have now.

And you know what? Give it a year or two, and I'll have an athlete's body. Why? Because now I run and I lift. And I work damn hard at that too. And I'm sure I'll hear "oh, you're so lucky to be athletic."

So when you see someone successful, don't make out that they somehow have magical genetics or luck or a cushy life that makes this all so easy. They don't. It was hard work. They worked harder and succeeded where you failed. Deal with it.

Replies

• JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Don't let people like that get to you. You know how hard you worked and what it took to get yourself where you are now and that's all that matters. Great work.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    grinds-my-gears11.jpg

All this talk about the 'hot mom/no excuses' poster being offensive has my blood boiling. You know what's really offensive? Minimizing another person's success.

I'm starting to hear it now, quite a bit. "Don't think your success can be duplicated by everyone, some people have [excuse, excuse, excuse]" or "Not everyone is lucky enough to have
      ". Heck, I've even heard "you're just so lucky to have a runner's body" from someone who knew me when had the body of the Pilsbury Doughboy. You know why I have a runner's body? It's because I ran. I ran and ran and ran. Hot out? Run. Cold out? Run. Raining? Run. Tired? Run. Stressed? Run. Don't wanna? Do it anyway. No time? Find time.
    I worked damn hard for what I have now.

And you know what? Give it a year or two, and I'll have an athlete's body. Why? Because now I run and I lift. And I work damn hard at that too. And I'm sure I'll hear "oh, you're so lucky to be athletic."

So when you see someone successful, don't make out that they somehow have magical genetics or luck or a cushy life that makes this all so easy. They don't. It was hard work. They worked harder and succeeded where you failed. Deal with it.

Other people's success stories only inspire and motivates me!! Yeah, I do get jealous of the naturally skinny people that don't have to do a thing but fit in the "hot" or "beautiful" category just because they are naturally thin. This is something I am working on though. I can't let the way someone was born dictate how I feel about them. I can only control me and focus on improving me. I hope to be an inspiration to someone some day too :)

p.s. Awesome work on running. I am trying to get there too :glasses:
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I guess i'll just have to introduce myself to newcomers with a list of my disadvantages so they don't think I tripped and fell into this body.

Then i'll have to kill the rest...
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1383334_601999599837283_364575181_n.jpg