Opinions on the positive effects of water fasting?

Options
I have been reading a lot about the topic and there is a ton of controversy. I read that (obviously) it's not a good solution to permanent weight loss, but I also have read a lot of positive effects i.e. alleviating food addictions and detoxification. Just curious what everyone things. thanks =]

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do a search for "water fast", and you'll see a lot of negative feedback and closed threads. Dangerous and pointless approach.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm well aware of the negative feedback, but there is also a lot of positive. I am not referring to fasting for weight loss; more detox and such, also assuming that you are doing it correctly.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Fasts have always put my food addiction in to high gear. I remember having vivid dreams about food when I was fasting, and the minute the fast was over I'd spend $200 just in binge food at the grocery store.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm well aware of the negative feedback, but there is also a lot of positive. I am not referring to fasting for weight loss; more detox and such, also assuming that you are doing it correctly.

There can be positives to short term fasting. How long do you plan to do it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ygZSd.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You'd be hard pressed to find positive reviews of "water fasting" on a fitness site where people mostly try to go about it the healthy way. Detox? Don't even get me started. Unless you've just ingested arsenic, there's nothing to detox. Even then, you'd need more than a water fast to help you.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/regular-fasting-may-boost-heart-health/?_r=0
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I'm not aware of much positive unless maybe for religious reasons.
    How does one do a water fast correctly?
    BTW your body detoxes naturally using your kidney, liver, bowels, and lungs, so going without food is not necessary.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Detoxing meaning??
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/regular-fasting-may-boost-heart-health/?_r=0
    The study showed only an association between fasting and better heart health, which means it’s possible that fasting may not have a direct effect but might just be more common among people who are healthier to begin with. Devout Mormons, for instance, abstain from alcohol, smoking and caffeine, which are all factors that could affect heart health.

at best correlation but more likely selection bias
  • bcattoes
    Options

The study showed only an association between fasting and better heart health, which means it’s possible that fasting may not have a direct effect but might just be more common among people who are healthier to begin with. Devout Mormons, for instance, abstain from alcohol, smoking and caffeine, which are all factors that could affect heart health.

Yeah, I read it. An association between fasting and better heart health is a positive in my book.

And yeah, I also know that correlation does not prove causation. But it doesn't disprove it either.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mj-laughing.gif
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    IlzfP.gif
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I have an oxygen addiction, I wonder if a water fast would alleviate that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    mj-laughing.gif

The most fitting gif for this thread!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think that the best thing you can get from a short term water fast is the mental and spiritual benefits of it. You're overcoming a desire that has a strong hold on you; the desire to eat to fill the emptiness inside.

The emptiness can be emotional or spiritual, but by fasting you can focus on better ways to fill that emptiness. Some people use the time they would normally eat to instead pray, read the Bible or books of encouragement, to meditate or to journal.

Just be careful not to let it become an addiction to fast. Some people here like the Intermittent Fast for health benefits. I'd suggest searching the 'groups' section for them and asking questions there.

Best wishes.
  • bcattoes
    Options

at best correlation but more likely selection bias

It's so cute when people think they know more than researchers without actually doing any research.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Apr. 26, 2013 — Intermittent fasting is all the rage, but scientific evidence showing how such regimes affect human health is not always clear cut. Now a scientific review in the British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease published by SAGE, suggests that fasting diets may help those with diabetes and cardiovascular disease, alongside established weight loss claims.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130426115456.htm

Also

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fasting-diet/AN02161
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am all for it!
    good fasting groups on here.