Opinions on the positive effects of water fasting?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/regular-fasting-may-boost-heart-health/?_r=0

This says nothing of a water fast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't know of any positives. There is no such thing as detoxing unless you are a drug addict. You have organs that "detox" you every minute of every day.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/regular-fasting-may-boost-heart-health/?_r=0

No, it's about fasting in general. And I am certainly no expert on fasting, but I assumed every fast included water to prevent dehydration.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

No, it's about fasting in general. And I am certainly no expert on fasting, but I assumed every fast included water to prevent dehydration.
    Water fasting has nothing to do with IF.

Water fasting is starving yourself and never eating any food at all.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    popcorn_nommer.gif
  • bcattoes

Never eating any food at all for how long?

ETA: the studies were not on IF in the way I've heard it described most often on MFP, which is the only place I've heard of it.

From the article re: the first study
    The downside of the study is that it didn’t ask for specific details on the type and duration of fasting among the patients. However, preliminary interviews suggest that the most common form of fasting involved a monthly ritual of abstaining from all food and drinking only water for 24 hours.

From the article re: the second study:
    For that research, also presented at the New Orleans conference, 30 patients were asked to fast for 24 hours with water only.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

It varies. I have seen threads where people where going to try doing it for 40 days or more.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO
  • bcattoes
    It varies. I have seen threads where people where going to try doing it for 40 days or more.

Yeah, that would be crazy. Which is why I said there were benefits to short fasts and asked how long the OP planned to do it. No answer yet, though.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

However many days they choose to do it. No food at all.

I love how you were condescending to others when you said...
    It's so cute when people think they know more than researchers without actually doing any research.

yet you didn't do any on this either. Pot...this is kettle calling.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Yeah, that would be crazy. Which is why I said there were benefits to short fasts and asked how long the OP planned to do it. No answer yet, though.

It's not the same kind of fast.
  • bcattoes

However many days they choose to do it. No food at all.

I love how you were condescending to others when you said...
    It's so cute when people think they know more than researchers without actually doing any research.

yet you didn't do any on this either. Pot...this is kettle calling.

Sincethis post is only concerned with the OP and her fast, I asked her for details as my research. What others do didn't seem relevant.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

You're right, any fasting does and should involve water. But not every fast is ONLY water. I'm not an expert either, but everything I"ve ever seen about water fasts comes with a caution/warning label, and the standard time frame is usually between 3-40 days. I've never heard of anyone doing it for weightloss or "detox", only for religious or spiritual reasons.
  • bcattoes

It's not the same kind of fast.

How long is the OP planning to fast?
  • I sometimes water fast once a week rather than do a 500 calorie fast twice a week.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    detox and such

WNMWi.gif
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    If you need a detox, go to the hospital, they will pump your stomach out before you die. No? You're just bloated or maybe overweight? Eat sensibly, the proper amount of calories, and drink 8 glasses of water a day.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Google Horizon BBC Eat Fast Live Longer.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Just to clarify, I have no intentions of doing this, I am just curious about opinions. I really didn't mean to spark such passionate comments. My goodness lol
  • ataraxial
    I was reading up on the benefits of it because I had a conversation with a friend of mine who's father fasted for lent. I was kind of expecting the rude comments, but I actually have found quite a bit of material referring to its benefits.
  • ataraxial
    Are there any professional non-biased people here willing to give their opinions? Perhaps a nutritionist, or someone who has some sort of educational background?