20 Things No One Tells You About Running

Options

Replies

• GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Right now I've plateaued at about 3.5 miles (shameful considering I was up to 8 this past summer.. a broken toe is no excuse! :-p ) I am going to start throwing out my first mile as even a time worth remembering..

My miles:
    9:50
    9:37
    8:56
    8:20 (.55 miles)

Now I understand why people run for so long before a 5k! Stretching is great, but getting the "set up mile" out of the way is even better.

23. You depreciate your shoes by the number of miles you get out of them. I don't consider them paid off in sweat until they are down to at least $0.50 a mile.
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    23. Runs that used to be a big accomplishment become "I only..." As in - "I only ran five miles today." Don't forget to celebrate how far you've come!

Great post!!!

This is so true too! 5k's used to be the finish line.. now they are the starting line!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    if anyone calls me a jogger, I will cut them!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hilarious! Love it! Thanks!:love:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    23. Runs that used to be a big accomplishment become "I only..." As in - "I only ran five miles today." Don't forget to celebrate how far you've come!

Great post!!!

This is so true too! 5k's used to be the finish line.. now they are the starting line!

I'm still starting out but I remember when I could only run 10 seconds at a time without taking a break (when I was over 300 pounds).

At this point, three miles at a time is the norm but last week I beat my personal record and ran 5! :)
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    These are all great and SO true! If one more person tells me "it's bad for your knees", I will scream! LOL. Thanks for sharing.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Running is kind of like childbirth that way.

Except that I actually want to run.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    16. After awhile, you cannot get the stench out of your running clothes.

Yep, I'm on the verge of throwing them out and just starting over. I rinse them out after every workout and then wash at the end of the week and there is still a slight stench. :grumble:
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    True...
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1. Your feet will look like crap. Blisters, black toenails, callouses. If you get pedicures, just apologize when you go in.

Not true!. For me at least. My feet look better than some people I know who are non runners.

Blisters & Black toenails happen when you're wearing the wrong size shoes. I've been running for 5+ years, done lots of 5km & 10km races and 2 half marathons and I've never had either.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    These are all great and SO true! If one more person tells me "it's bad for your knees", I will scream! LOL. Thanks for sharing.

My god yes, #2 so much. I'm SO freaking tired of hearing this it's not even funny. I'm close to the point of physical violence when hearing this. Someone I was close to would tell me this everytime I mentioned running and it took a lot of discipline to try and calmly explain to her why this was a stupid thing to say instead of grabbing the nearest table and flipping it in rage. *headdesk*
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.
    This! I've been running the same trail for a week now... at the halfway point I feel like dying and take a breather... today I kept going and I surprised myself at how much endurance I have. This has happened many times. I guess I just have to keep pushing myself beyond what I think is my max.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    #4 about crosstraining to prevent injury is so true!!!! My knees were killing me a few years ago and I thought I was giving up running completely. Now, I strength train AND run and have no issues! Might not be true for everyone, but so true for me!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As for getting the stench out of your running clothes... I found that Tide Sport does a really good job. I was having horrible trouble getting the smells out of my sports bras!!

24. Whenever you tell anyone about what you're training for next, they call you crazy. You take it as a compliment.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking the other day that there should be a PDF that all new runners receive that spell out some of the more embarrassing bathroom issues that come up when you run. I've been running since March and I told my husband just last night, "How come no one ever tells you that running makes you have to poop a lot! And often right in the middle of your run!"
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    As for getting the stench out of your running clothes... I found that Tide Sport does a really good job. I was having horrible trouble getting the smells out of my sports bras!!

24. Whenever you tell anyone about what you're training for next, they call you crazy. You take it as a compliment.

When I get my own washing machine and can wash my stuff separately from my boyfriend's clothes without having to pay for it (hate community laundry rooms), I'll pick some of this up. But he has sensitive skin so we have to stick with a free and clear detergent.

On your other comment, I told a few people that if I can knock another 15-20 minutes off my half-marathon time, I would sign up for a full marathon. This means I have at least 2 years to mentally and physically prepare for it. Their reaction? "You're nuts!" Why thank you :-)
  • jlove720
    jlove720 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had my right ACL replaced a little over 2 years ago. I never thought I would be able to walk up and down STEPS ever again. Jogging? Running? ...FORGET IT! I'm just now starting out but the fact that last week I did a half hour on the treadmill with NO STOPS just BLOWS MY MIND! I still have a ways to go weight loss wise (in my own opinion of course), but to se how far I have come is nothing short of AMAZING to me. My best friend recently became a runner. I am SO PROUD of her. I'm hoping she will see that I replied to this post and check it out for herself. I'm POSITIVE she will have a good laugh and agree with most if not all of these. Especially the thing about the feet, considering she is also a dancer. In the event I actually become a RUNNER, thanks for the heads up on these things. Appreciate it.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    21. If you are male and you wear the wrong shirt, you nipples may bleed. Profusely. You may start putting band aids over them to help curtail the friction issue.
  • motherwesser
    motherwesser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Too Funny! And all correct from what I have observed as well. After reading this, I must admit that I must be a runner. BTW...I hate running!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love this :) All of it. It's so true. Except this

16. After awhile, you cannot get the stench out of your running clothes.

When they get stinky throw them in the wash with vinegar and baking soda. It does the trick!!